cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pimax UHD HMD - "The Best Headset For Films"

It looks like there are some good things, and some bad things with this $300 HMD:

The first thing I noticed when I put it on was the complete lack of pixels. I mean it, there is absolutely no visible screen door effect that I could see. I was playing iOMoon which is already notorious for it’s beautiful textures and stunning lighting, so I was happy to see that things were extremely crisp and detailed. Adding to that I did not see any “God Rays” that often plague both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive for many users.

I found the item on GearBest.com while I was looking at other mobile VR HMD’s, currently it’s listed for about $350 which is not a bad price considering the clarity of the screens and the OpenVR/SteamVR support. The place I think this HMD will shine is for people who want to use VR while they are traveling. This HMD only requires one HDMI port and one USB 2.0 port which is usable with most laptops. It is EXTREMELY comfortable to wear and I could see myself falling asleep in this if I was in a car or on a plane. Because it has a 4K display it is PERFECT for using Virtual Desktop, BigScreen, and especially for watching movies in VR! Now I can’t wait for ALL HMD’s to be 4K or above! Truly exciting to get a glimpse of the future!

http://www.vrspies.com/realitycheckvr/pimax4kvrhmd/

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
72 REPLIES 72

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Now if only they could master the tracking like the Oculus. By the time they do that though Oculus would of beaten them to 4k with positional tracking already. This is all down to greedy computer hardware firms charging silly prices for Graphics cards and CPU's. With a Geforce 1080Gtx and a 6700K CPU, I'm sure we could of had 4k screens in the Rift. Especially now that we have things like Space Warp for the Rift.

Thane_
Heroic Explorer
I would bet that any eye strain/headaches are caused by the separation going beyond IPD. Could be 3D movies too though, since 3D movies change up the convergence scene by scene, effecting the size of the spaces the brain is seeing, causing it to have to constantly re-calculate sizes. Thats my theory on why there were complaints about eye strain and headaches from 3D movies, but there isn't a single forum thread about it in the 3D gaming community except one by me concerning the lack of threads. Maybe try changing the separation between the images?

With a little separation slider, the 3D should never have to look any different from what you know as "perfect 3D", but i think we have many years before we all understand that. Its so easy to see whats going on on an 3D LCD screen with your 3D glasses off, so how a train track separates further apart as it goes of in the distance. Hard to see that kind of thing on a VR headset i would guess.

ShocksVR
Superstar

andyring said:

Now 8K:

http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-pimaxs-8k-headset-proves-high-fov-vr-coming/

Will be going on Kickstarter in March apparently.

Also adding your part regarding "Godrays" w/ respect to the Rift/Vive.  

From my understanding the PiMax is more similar to GearVR (Samsung/Oculus) than Vive/Rift; thus a MobileVR experience for watching vids and playing mobile games (non graphics intensive).

Things like GearVR are great for introductory VR, but there's a reason why the Rift/Vive require a high powered PC to play graphically intensive games/apps.  I'm sure Oculus is aware of 4K and 8K displays, but the PC hardware just can't play at those specifics yet.  Although, it sounds like the new AMD Vega may be a true 4K 60 fps GPU; so we're getting there.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

I've got to say, i'm excited by this, if it has positional tracking (they say it will) i'll definitely be getting one.  It may work ok with the next gen of GPUs.  To think of 8K with 200 degree field of view is crazy!

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
This is fantastic news!! it just goes to show the the technology is taking off

PiMaxVR_com
Explorer

lovethis said:

Now if only they could master the tracking like the Oculus. By the time they do that though Oculus would of beaten them to 4k with positional tracking already. This is all down to greedy computer hardware firms charging silly prices for Graphics cards and CPU's. With a Geforce 1080Gtx and a 6700K CPU, I'm sure we could of had 4k screens in the Rift. Especially now that we have things like Space Warp for the Rift.

We have the new valve lighthouse tracking system and it is excellent.  If Oculus cannot deliver before our kickstarter delivers this december you may have to rescind your claim.  I hope they do deliver as competition is good for the consumer.  The tracking issue is interesting as we do include a camera with the lighthouse system that will work with Steam VR to do full body tracking.  It does require some bandwidth but we have had no issues integrating our camera with lighthouse.

We have heard reports that the oculus system takes too much bandwidth for some users and they don't have it to spare and there are issues getting a similar system working with Oculus Guardian because of these issues.

As to the GODRAYS issue, I think many will be pleasantly surprised with the reviews coming from tested next week.  Already many users at our conferenced meetups have said this is the most immersive HMD they have ever used and the SDE and GODRAY issues that we solve made them very happy.

I use a 1070 and it works beautifully.  Greedy firms also upset us so that is why we are hoping to sell at affordable prices.

CrashFu
Consultant
Are you saying that your customers will have to buy a pair of Vive Lighthouse Base Stations in order to use your product?

As I understand it, the base stations cost $135 each, and have to be used in a set of two, correct?  So $270 in addition to the $300+ for your HMD?  :neutral:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Its fascinating to see a manufacturer come on a competitors forum to discuss their product - real nice to see this kind of interchange, another example of the diversity of the VR community from the original Oculus KS days.

Hoping that Pimax's KS goes smoothly and we get to see the fruit of the products in a production prototype format soon. Have a number of disillusioned StarVR operators that would like to see an alternative.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
The FOV is a bigger deal for me than resolution. We'll have to wait and see how it turns out but using Lighthouse 2.0 is going to be a disadvantage in terms of pricing. Might have been a better idea for them to approach Oculus to licence the Constellation technology instead. It would bring their production costs right down, even if they're using Lighthouse 2.0.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade anyway, I'm going to wait a couple of years for the second generation headsets from the two major players I think.