cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally had enough of all my tracking issues....?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Enough is enough as far as i'm concerned, i am having continual problems since the last Oculus update.
- Floor is continually moving
- Guardian Walls move --> THIS IS DANGEROUS
- Touch controller tracking problems.
When are these problems going to be resolved, Ive stuck up for Oculus but no more....
I wish i bought a Vive..... 😞
205 REPLIES 205

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star

vs not. I don't think you do either.

There was a poll (which I did mention in my original reply) in here asking what people's status was since update. It pointed to a majority having issues. That was my clue for what it's worth. A little more credible than saying there's no lynch mob so it must be under 10% don't you think?

Have you got a link to that poll (you only mention it, don't link to it or anything). It strikes me that such a poll would likely include a massive amount of bias (e.g. if the question is "do you suffer tracking issues" guess who is going to reply in the main), so it seems it could well be an extremely dodgy source for the sort of statistic you are quoting.

|t's in this discussion forum, feel free to look. The question was neutral along the lines of what is your current status since the update.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The problem with any poll is that when you are asking people to vote between "complaining" vs "happy" you will get a ton of votes for the complaint category. In fact, most people come to the Internet just to complain. Happy folks don't have much reason to create forum accounts. Those who are not having problems are happy, so they are home using their Rift. Those with problems... go online to complain.

How about we look at the number of people who complained in that poll and compare it to the total number of people on Steam with a registered Oculus Rift? Suddenly the number of people with problems drops to a super tiny number (like 1%).

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
Sure never mind the anecdotal written comments of the majority of members who have been here since before the updates. It's a general discussion page not a support page. Hey what what happened to you while I was away Zen? You used to be a man of the people, now you're a corporate denier with a Master's hat on. Sure nothing really wrong, just a few upstarts making something over nothing. Alternative facts. Fake news. Yada yada. Sad.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Sure never mind the anecdotal written comments of the majority of members who have been here since before the updates. It's a general discussion page not a support page. Hey what what happened to you while I was away Zen? You used to be a man of the people, now you're a corporate denier with a Master's hat on. Sure nothing really wrong, just a few upstarts making something over nothing. Alternative facts. Fake news. Yada yada. Sad.

Corporate denier with a Master's hat? Well I am not denying that there is a problem, I am simply making an argument that it is likely mathematically incorrect to state that the problems reported represent more than 50% of the total user base. So you read that argument and responded to me, insultingly, as though I am claiming the problems are at 0%.

So does that mean you are a English Language denier with a dunce cap? Maybe instead of resorting to insults you actually comprehend what is being said.

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
well by your definition no poll ever conducted is worth a rats arse then as nobody has ever asked or got an answer from 100% of user base to find a true answer. I quoted a poll of users who are in 1 place who gave an answer. 

That you pick me up for being insulting for making a comment, as someone who got warned and turfed out of here for bad attitude is rich indeed. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

well by your definition no poll ever conducted is worth a rats arse then as nobody has ever asked or got an answer from 100% of user base to find a true answer.

If someone is making an argument that "over 50%" of the total user base is having the same problems... then a poll where close to the total sum of the userbase should probably be taken in to account. There are over 200,000 people who own a Rift. How many people responded to your poll?

And are you denying that the Internet (social media, forums) are plagued moreso by complainers than the happy-go-lucky type?

That you pick me up for being insulting for making a comment, as someone who got warned and turfed out of here for bad attitude is rich indeed. 

So because I was scolded for negativity you believe that gives you free reign to use me as target practice? hah, if you're up for the task then let's see how you fare.

Anonymous
Not applicable

vs not. I don't think you do either.

There was a poll (which I did mention in my original reply) in here asking what people's status was since update. It pointed to a majority having issues. That was my clue for what it's worth. A little more credible than saying there's no lynch mob so it must be under 10% don't you think?

Have you got a link to that poll (you only mention it, don't link to it or anything). It strikes me that such a poll would likely include a massive amount of bias (e.g. if the question is "do you suffer tracking issues" guess who is going to reply in the main), so it seems it could well be an extremely dodgy source for the sort of statistic you are quoting.

|t's in this discussion forum, feel free to look. The question was neutral along the lines of what is your current status since the update.

This one?  With 39 responses?  As I said - dodgy to use it to assert that the majority are having problems.  You're extrapolating the experiences of 24 (self-selecting) people to thousands.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This one?  I'm afraid that only has 39 responses, so can't really support your statements at all regarding the overall user base.  

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
At no point ever did I say 50% of the user base, I specifically mentioned "a poll, IN HERE" (Why do you have to twist things or ignore what people are saying to fit your own argument.)

Scolded for negativity. Yeah that's how it went 🙂 You've probably made more insults and put downs in here than the rest of the group combined. Whatever, I'm done with this debate with you. Keep smiling. 

digitalkibble
Protege
(TLDR : USB is iffy and less than ideal for positional tracking with multiple cameras when setup for room scale but we are stuck with it.)

The State of Tracking Woes : IMO-Edition

This may be obvious to some if not most here, but ultimately I believe that within the wide variety of tracking reports; from perfect to utterly dismal - there is reasonable validity at both ends of the spectrum.  

Here's why:

The Oculus Rift, like any PC-based device, is already having to deal with the wide variety of user-based hardware builds out there and all the subsequent driver/firmware/software combinations that come along with that.  It's a tough job to be sure; minimizing issues and maximizing compatibility across such a wide spectrum of users.  Overall product consistency is tethered to the result of a cascade of potential impactors, however, to me the all-important unifying thread is quite literally the USB-based camera device and therein lies the rub.

I think it's clear that the initial gameplan of Oculus was to be a seated, single-camera desk-based VR experience (pre-room scale).  When you view it this way, the USB based solution isn't as egregious because you aren't being forced to rely on more than 2 USB ports for your tracking setup.  Because of this, comparatively, it's a breeze to setup when compared to the Vive and its Lighthouse tracking system.  This makes sense and is a win.  

That said, once you tack on room scale and motion controllers (Oculus Touch), you are stepping into a whole new ball-game and fundamentally changing the nature and complexity of the tracking requirements by an order of magnitude.  This is where the USB-based camera tracking solution begins to show itself as lacking and less than ideal when compared to Vive's Lighthouse setup.

USB operational factors like PCIE lanes, total number/type of peripheral devices sharing hub controllers, power, the number of Constellation cameras connected, bandwidth throughput/signal degradation over X-distance and active/passive cable extension solutions all begin to contribute to the chances of having problems.

Add to that camera positioning and angling, relative inter-camera distance and view frustum overlap, physical occlusion factors based on unique room sizes and layouts; plus making sure that once calibrated, the cameras themselves don't get jilted or moved from their positions and with all this, the potential user error setting up any of that and you start to arrive at the wide array of results people are seeing.  It's a headache to be sure.

Ultimately and often (for room scale), you may end up having to buy 3rd party hardware additions (PCIE USB Cards/extension cables) to augment the USB-based system and mitigate its shortcomings.  It's a solution, but it's costly.  This is why Oculus recommends 3 cameras over 4 (for room scale) and gives you a 2.0 USB cable extension to limit bandwidth saturation with the 3rd camera.  It's not that you can't go all USB 3.0, while having 4 cameras and achieve success, it's just that the system itself is bandwidth hungry and a lot can potentially go wrong.

Either way, CV1 is locked in with the camera system - so the best we can hope for is software optimizations and the spreading of good setup best practices.  Both of which we are recieving. :wink: