New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Severely Dangerous problems with my oculus guardian system...?

coculus_ukcoculus_uk Posts: 18
NerveGear
I would like to report the following two dangerous issues relating to the oculus guardian system.
1) it has started drifting.
2) floor is moving
the first item is highly dangerous and I suggest this is addressed immediately before somebody gets hurt...
A disappointed oculus owner.

Comments

• birkbirk Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    they are working on it, and a patch will be out this month
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,479 Valuable Player
    edited February 2017
    Here is a good tip to avoid injury:

If you have a hard floor, put a carpet in your play space and play barefoot. If you have carpet, put a mat or other hard/plastic material on your floor.  This will serve as a natural guardian wall.

In fact, this should be done even if the person is not experiencing any guardian issues.

Technology will always glitch, so taking a multi-layer approach is always best.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • GrimdanfangoGrimdanfango Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    birk said:
    A patch *might* be out this month.  They haven't guaranteed anything yet.
  • coculus_ukcoculus_uk Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:

If you have a hard floor, put a carpet in your play space and play barefoot. If you have carpet, put a mat or other hard/plastic material on your floor.  This will serve as a natural guardian wall.

In fact, this should be done even if the person is not experiencing any guardian issues.

Thanks for tips, but I'd like to know when this will be recognised as a serious problem, and then more importantly addressed. Preferably from Oculus itself rather than another forum user....not holding my breath.
    NerveGear

birk said:
    Thanks, sounds promising, any official links.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    edited February 2017
    Zenbane said:

Thanks for tips, but I'd like to know when this will be recognised as a serious problem, and then more importantly addressed. Preferably from Oculus itself rather than another forum user....not holding my breath.
    this is recognised as a problem and we have had info from Oculus staff here on the forums. any seriousness attributed to the specific issue is your own :smile:

[edit to add link to comment from Oculus]
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/49777/update-on-1-11-tracking-issues-and-the-upcoming-1-12-release/p1
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    NerveGear

Zenbane said:

That's why I don't fly, drive, or go out anymore.
  • weasel47weasel47 Posts: 301
    Trinity
    I know not to trust the guardian system too much (for the time being).  I've been jumping in and out of VR a lot in Unity, and sometimes my guardian boundaries will do something like rotate 90 degrees and move 6 feet in some direction (at the moment that I put the HMD on, and then stay in that new position indefinitely).
    It makes me wonder if OVR thinks that my two sensors have switched or something...
    NerveGear
    kzintzi said:
    Zenbane said:

this is recognised as a problem and we have had info from Oculus staff here on the forums. any seriousness attributed to the specific issue is your own :smile:

[edit to add link to comment from Oculus]
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/49777/update-on-1-11-tracking-issues-and-the-upcoming-1-12-release/p1
    Thanks for link, I read the forum and couldn't see any reference to guardian system re update 1.11 to 1.12. Apologies if I missed it, can you confirm guardian movement will be addressed. Cheers
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,980 Valuable Player
    I'm not sooo sure about this one...
    NerveGear
    weasel47 said:
    I know not to trust the guardian system too much (for the time being).  I've been jumping in and out of VR a lot in Unity, and sometimes my guardian boundaries will do something like rotate 90 degrees and move 6 feet in some direction (at the moment that I put the HMD on, and then stay in that new position indefinitely).
    It makes me wonder if OVR thinks that my two sensors have switched or something...
    Mines been slowly moving in one direction, usually up....
    but sometimes sidewards meaning I come into contact with my walls; I've also had it move 8-10 foot in one go, and couldn't even get inside the supposed playable area! Lol
    NerveGear
    andyring said:
    Are you inferring I don't have this issue with my oculus. I'm here for resolution
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,980 Valuable Player
    andyring said:
    Are you inferring I don't have this issue with my oculus. I'm here for resolution
    2160 x 1200

• regularearsregularears Posts: 85
    Hiro Protagonist
    Apart from the timing issues, is the giveaway not in the punctuation at the end of the thread title ... ?
  • weasel47weasel47 Posts: 301
    Trinity
    weasel47 said:
    but sometimes sidewards meaning I come into contact with my walls; I've also had it move 8-10 foot in one go, and couldn't even get inside the supposed playable area! Lol
    Yeah, I do have the floor moving as well, sometimes up and sometimes down.
  • danybonindanybonin Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have this problem to. Guardian slowly moving to one direction and also the height changing slowly.
    core i7 5930k @ 4.4ghz
    nvidia rtx 2080 ti
    16GB ram
    asus pg27uq
    oculus cv1 4 sensors on usb3 on 5 distinct usb controller
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for tips, but I'd like to know when this will be recognised as a serious problem,
    You were already shown that this was a serious problem that Oculus is addressing with your account that was banned. Yes, we all know it's you @Panoramus :D

NerveGear
    So that's a NO when it comes to a support forum here to help, you only see Oculus Staff when it comes time to protect all the Virtual Fan Boy (or Fan Girl) and offer out bans.

How about a response to my perfectly valid questions above ^^^
    Thanks from a faithful customer, all the best; looking forward to my ban for asking difficulty questions about the safety of oculus system currently. Allah Akbah
    NerveGear
    weasel47 said:
    weasel47 said:
    Yeah, I do have the floor moving as well, sometimes up and sometimes down.

Full Deniability mode currently.
    So that's a NO when it comes to a support forum here to help
    So that's a NO when it comes to you acknowledging the official statement by an Oculus Staff member:

looking forward to my ban for asking difficulty questions about the safety of oculus system currently. Allah Akbah
    You were banned for launching personal attacks, as you have already begun anew.

NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    So that's a NO when it comes to a support forum here to help
    So that's a NO when it comes to you acknowledging the official statement by an Oculus Staff member:

looking forward to my ban for asking difficulty questions about the safety of oculus system currently. Allah Akbah
    You were banned for launching personal attacks, as you have already begun anew.

I read that and didn't see the guardian system problems....? Can you confirm, please.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,529 Volunteer Moderator
    Even when Guardian is functioning as intended, it comes with no guarantee of safety. Did you notice the disclaimer at the end of setting up your Guardian borders? You are responsible for your own safety, and Oculus bears no responsibility if you run into a wall in your excitement.

If you don't trust yourself to remain aware of your surroundings, you should consider playing in a standing-only fashion (i.e. not moving around).
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    Thanks from an annoying customer, all the best; looking forward to my ban for asking difficulty questions about the safety of oculus system currently.
    If you get banned at this point, it would be for ban evasion from your first ban, not the innocuous "for asking questions". For ANY future reference, if you wanted help, starting off hostile and insulting is not the way to go.
    NerveGear
    Still no response as to whether the guardian problems will be fixed in this months update, thanks oculus support.
    Did you open a Support Ticket? That is where Oculus Support staff members work from. This is the community support forum. 
  • FunkyLasagneFunkyLasagne Posts: 121
    Art3mis
    Still no response as to whether the guardian problems will be fixed in this months update, thanks oculus support.
    I think it is linked to whether the Guardian problem is linked to the tracking issues.  If it is then it is in the scope of the next update.  If it is separate then who knows.  Do you suffer tracking problems as well as Guardian issues?
    NerveGear
    I think it is linked to whether the Guardian problem is linked to the tracking issues.  If it is then it is in the scope of the next update.  If it is separate then who knows.  Do you suffer tracking problems as well as Guardian issues?
    Yes I suffer tracking and guardian movement PROBLEMS, and none the wiser if guardian system will be fixed in next update. #disappointed
  • FunkyLasagneFunkyLasagne Posts: 121
    Art3mis
    In which case there is a chance the two are related and that the next update, focusing on tracking issues, may also fix your Guardian problems, and therefore see the links to the official thread re 1.12 above.  In the meantime, as noted above, submitting a ticket is a more effective way of getting support.
This discussion has been closed.