cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severely Dangerous problems with my oculus guardian system...?

coculus_uk
Protege
I would like to report the following two dangerous issues relating to the oculus guardian system.
1) it has started drifting.
2) floor is moving
the first item is highly dangerous and I suggest this is addressed immediately before somebody gets hurt...
A disappointed oculus owner.
48 REPLIES 48

Norwegian_guy
Expert Protege
they are working on it, and a patch will be out this month

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Here is a good tip to avoid injury:

If you have a hard floor, put a carpet in your play space and play barefoot. If you have carpet, put a mat or other hard/plastic material on your floor.  This will serve as a natural guardian wall.

In fact, this should be done even if the person is not experiencing any guardian issues.

Technology will always glitch, so taking a multi-layer approach is always best.

Grimdanfango
Expert Protege

birk said:

A patch *might* be out this month.  They haven't guaranteed anything yet.

coculus_uk
Protege

Zenbane said:

If you have a hard floor, put a carpet in your play space and play barefoot. If you have carpet, put a mat or other hard/plastic material on your floor.  This will serve as a natural guardian wall.

In fact, this should be done even if the person is not experiencing any guardian issues.

Thanks for tips, but I'd like to know when this will be recognised as a serious problem, and then more importantly addressed. Preferably from Oculus itself rather than another forum user....not holding my breath.

coculus_uk
Protege

birk said:

Thanks, sounds promising, any official links.

kzintzi
Trustee

Zenbane said:

Thanks for tips, but I'd like to know when this will be recognised as a serious problem, and then more importantly addressed. Preferably from Oculus itself rather than another forum user....not holding my breath.

this is recognised as a problem and we have had info from Oculus staff here on the forums. any seriousness attributed to the specific issue is your own :smile:

[edit to add link to comment from Oculus]
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/49777/update-on-1-11-tracking-issues-and-the-upcoming...
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

coculus_uk
Protege

Zenbane said:

That's why I don't fly, drive, or go out anymore.

weasel47
Heroic Explorer
I know not to trust the guardian system too much (for the time being).  I've been jumping in and out of VR a lot in Unity, and sometimes my guardian boundaries will do something like rotate 90 degrees and move 6 feet in some direction (at the moment that I put the HMD on, and then stay in that new position indefinitely).
It makes me wonder if OVR thinks that my two sensors have switched or something...

coculus_uk
Protege

kzintzi said:

Zenbane said:

this is recognised as a problem and we have had info from Oculus staff here on the forums. any seriousness attributed to the specific issue is your own :smile:

[edit to add link to comment from Oculus]
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/49777/update-on-1-11-tracking-issues-and-the-upcoming...

Thanks for link, I read the forum and couldn't see any reference to guardian system re update 1.11 to 1.12. Apologies if I missed it, can you confirm guardian movement will be addressed. Cheers