Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D printable sensor mount hobby project

caseydvorak
Honored Guest

Hey all!

I'm one of the folks at
Oculus who has been working on Oculus tracking and roomscale support.  When
I was experimenting with different setups, I decided to start up a bit of a hobby project to create a few mounts I could use at my setup at home.

I got into 3D printing
about a year ago, and have been having a lot of fun creating some custom items
like this.  Note, these aren't Oculus products or endorsed as official
Oculus mounts, but I figured if people in the community wanted to give a shot
at printing them and adding them to their setup it could be a help.  3D printing can be difficult if you don’t have a lot of experience, so in many cases you’re better off buying official tripod mounts.  That said if you’re up to the challenge feel free to try printing these and/or modify them for your own use.  These are the items attached:

Sensor-holders

holder-corner-slim.stl - Slim version of corner sensor mount

holder-corner-standard.stl - Full rectangular version of corner sensor
mount

holder-flat-slim.stl - Slim version of flat sensor mount, for
mounting directly on a flat wall

holder-flat-standard.stl - Full rectangular version of the flat mount

Cord-guides (to keep the sensor cord against the
wall)

cordguide-corner-slim.stl - Guide which uses one screw to press the cord
against the corner of your wall

cordguide-corner-standard.stl - Guide which uses two screws to press the cord
against the corner of your wall

cordguide-flat-standard.stl - Flat guide to press your cable against a flat
wall

In case you want to try
printing, I used these print settings on my personal machine:

Material: ABS (though PLA or other materials may work)

Infill 20%

Top/bottom/side layers: 4

Speed 40mm/s

Have fun!

P.S. I ended up designing these for #2 Phillips 1" 2.54cm drywall screws.  You should be able to pick them up at a local hardware store if you don't have compatible screws already.

ysi874tlezq6.png

khteygdknvvi.jpg

35 REPLIES 35

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
@kogermax I 3d printed this design from thingiverse. 

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1960808
  Thing: 1960808
There is a version that uses double sided sticky tape as well. 
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

vannagirl
Consultant
I wish i could 3d print i could use 3 of this now

I only seen upside-down ones before i like the idea of this ones much more
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
@vannagirl  you can purchase the print directly from Thingiverse website.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

MikeSpeak24
Protege
I am considering wall mounting my two sensors as atm they are sitting just above desk level, the ceiling in my house is really high so i wanted to ask if there is an optimum height for mounting the sensors in a two sensor setup and is it better to have them both on the facing wall or one front and the other to either the left or right wall?
Thanks.

ClassicGOD
Protege

I am considering wall mounting my two sensors as atm they are sitting just above desk level, the ceiling in my house is really high so i wanted to ask if there is an optimum height for mounting the sensors in a two sensor setup and is it better to have them both on the facing wall or one front and the other to either the left or right wall?
Thanks.

If you want to mount them in normal orientation due to limited angle you can point them down and the vertical FOV (70 degrees) I would say optimal height is 1.4-2m (I did calculations some time ago for about 3m x 3m space so i could get optimal floor and above-head coverage). If you mount them upside down (or use a mounting system that points them down) I don't think the height is as important because you can tilt them further.

While I'm here i thought I would share my designs for Sensor Mount for Ikea Kalax and Touch Cradle (the cradle fits the Touch surprisingly well and is really secure.)

rib2420thewz.jpg i9c6rvb0z7mr.jpg
The advent of computers and the subsequent accumulation of incalculable data has given rise to a new system of memory and thought, parallel to your own. Humanity has underestimated the consequences of computerization.

MikeSpeak24
Protege
Thanks for the info, i made two bamboo discs with a 35 degree upward sloped screw mount which will give a good amount of adjustment to the pitch of the sensors, Just have to wait for the black paint to dry so i can mount them. It will be such a relief not having to place sensors and adjust everytime i play. Can't leave them on the desk when not in use as the grand kids think they are microphones lol

MikeSpeak24
Protege

Thanks.

If you want to mount them in normal orientation due to limited angle you can point them down and the vertical FOV (70 degrees) I would say optimal height is 1.4-2m (I did calculations some time ago for about 3m x 3m space so i could get optimal floor and above-head coverage). If you mount them upside down (or use a mounting system that points them down) I don't think the height is as important because you can tilt them further.

While I'm here i thought I would share my designs for Sensor Mount for Ikea Kalax and Touch Cradle (the cradle fits the Touch surprisingly well and is really secure.)

rib2420thewz.jpg i9c6rvb0z7mr.jpg

Oh i just had a thought, My desk is right under where the sensors will be mounted and juts out 2ft from the wall. I assumed i would have to alter the pitch or height so the sensors are not shining onto the desk rather than the area in front of it. Would doing this lessen the tracking effectivness at the rear of my play area?
 Is there a distance where your just  

MikeSpeak24
Protege

Made myself two mounts and put them up on the facing wall at a height 2 meters and i am astounded at the improvement to my setup. I was placing them on the corners of my desk previously  but i had issues if i had to reach below my knees. this setup works brilliantly. qcmmmcerai40.jpg

Timnijland
Protege
That first design looks great. Been looking for option where i'm able to take the mount of the wall.

zork2001
Heroic Explorer

Made myself two mounts and put them up on the facing wall at a height 2 meters and i am astounded at the improvement to my setup. I was placing them on the corners of my desk previously  but i had issues if i had to reach below my knees. this setup works brilliantly. qcmmmcerai40.jpg

couldn't you just have one sensor in the middle doing the same job as the both of them.