cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Oculus, I got my rift earlier this week from Bestbuy, and this morning when I put it on I noticed the audio on the right side was cutting in and out till it eventually stopped working all together. I imagine it has to do with the wiring inside as it seems to depend on how tight it is on my head.  Anyways; I don't have a clue about fixing things like this, so I was wondering if you could give any advice on what to do..   Thanks, I really love this product and it just isn't the same with only one side having audio. x_x
231 REPLIES 231

DIABLOX
Honored Guest
I also have this problem now. Its 100% a loose connection, only on the right side - didnt detach the speakers, just once now to check if they are tight enough on the rift, yeah.. great.. wtf is this, this hardware is 2 roughly 2 months old, i also have problems with my 1 month old touch controller. Left trigger makes so loud sounds, and i know i´m not the only one with the exact problems - it´s a design fail!

BBZ149
Protege
Well this one is going back next week, had to pack the complete unit with controllers ETC and a complete new unit will be sent back, well I hope it's new and not a recon unit and hopefully they have made changes to the internal Headphones connectors in the Strap! or it's just going to happen again and again!!

Volksheld
Protege
Exactly the same Problem here .Right Speaker have no sound . :(((((

DarkTenka
Trustee
I hope a 3rd party will learn how to repair this issue and post a youtube video about it. Warranty doesn't last forever and I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of people with 1-sided audio in about 6-months who will be unable to RMA.

BBZ149
Protege

KillCard said:

I hope a 3rd party will learn how to repair this issue and post a youtube video about it. Warranty doesn't last forever and I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of people with 1-sided audio in about 6-months who will be unable to RMA.

We are lucky in Europe for once! as we have a 2 Year warranty! I would have been happy to pull this apart myself to repair it, but not while under warranty, also if you need parts your stuffed unless Oculus start to sell parts! Hopefully before the 2 Year warranty is up they will release an Oculus CV2 with better LCD's as ill be ordering one straight away!!

I do hope this problem with the design has been fixed, not like they will ever admit there was a problem and say it's now been rectified!!

mbze430
Rising Star
I had to send mine in as well.  Pulling and retracting the right band would crackle the right speaker and sometimes it would work again.  Something with the wiring in the band I'd imagine.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

mbze430
Rising Star

BBZ149 said:

Well this one is going back next week, had to pack the complete unit with controllers ETC and a complete new unit will be sent back, well I hope it's new and not a recon unit and hopefully they have made changes to the internal Headphones connectors in the Strap! or it's just going to happen again and again!!

it will be "Manufacture Refurbished" but it will look pretty good though
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

BBZ149
Protege

mbze430 said:

BBZ149 said:

it will be "Manufacture Refurbished" but it will look pretty good though

Cheers for the info, hope its in mint condition like the one I sent back or wont be happy!!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Real sorry your had this experience. You should reach out to support regarding this issue.
https://support.oculus.com/
If you are under warranty, it's no problem to get a replacement ear-phone or even a new headset. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable

cbarish said:

I went to support; they recommended that I tighten the (plastic?) screw that holds the earpiece to the headband. I backed it off a quarter-turn, tightened it to taste, and it's worked well ever since.

WOOOT > I just did exactly what you said, backed it off a quarter-turn and hey presto....its working.
fingers crossed it stays this way. Thanks for posting your fix.
Didn't fancy going thru VR withdrawal.