Price cut on Rift and Touch, $100 less each!! - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Price cut on Rift and Touch, $100 less each!!

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,530 Volunteer Moderator
    Granted, the price drop on Touch is sooner than expected, but I wouldn't have waited even if I had known. I don't resent price drops, I was happy to get it at the price I paid.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    Great news, this will help with getting more people into VR.
    Huh, I was just looking at the store, and it seems that you can no longer buy Rift without Touch. You can buy Touch alone, and you can but the Rift+Touch bundle.

I think most people will want both, but it's odd that they would drop the "Rift only" option. Is this the same for everyone, or just the Canadian store? I swear I saw Rift alone for the new lower price earlier today.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,139 Volunteer Moderator
    Nope same in the UK
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    Was also meant to be a package with both, they just didn't manage to get the Touch out at the same time. This makes sense to me as I assume anything of a decent quality released for Rift now is going to require Touch.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    dburne said:
    mniromaa said:
    I just got mail that i get 50$ refunded without asking anything. 
    Tested also robo recall, it is unbelievable.

its been good week for oculus. Thanks

Did you buy direct from Oculus? I got mine through Amazon but paid full price.
    I bought mine through Amazon and just got the email from Oculus
  • clayton4115clayton4115 Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    I purchased the controllers yesterday at the full price, then they send me an email about the price cut and will give the controllers to me at the reduced price $100 USD I saved myself $130 australian dollars!
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    molokow said:
    THe sensor is a rip job. They need to do better than that. 
    Shit should be FREE!!!  :|
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
    It still seems a little bizarre that they hack the price of Touch package so much and not the sensor. They value a single, static sensor (£59) at almost 50% more than a pair of Touch controllers with all the complexities they have built into them (extra £40 for 2 extra sensors). I guess they have a logic in it. 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,407 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    Huh, I was just looking at the store, and it seems that you can no longer buy Rift without Touch. You can buy Touch alone, and you can but the Rift+Touch bundle.

I think most people will want both, but it's odd that they would drop the "Rift only" option. Is this the same for everyone, or just the Canadian store? I swear I saw Rift alone for the new lower price earlier today.

Here in the U.S. Amazon is offering the Rift alone at the reduced price.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    dburne said:
    nalex66 said:

Here in the U.S. Amazon is offering the Rift alone at the reduced price.
    Yeah, third parties will certainly sell off their stock at the new price, but currently it looks like Oculus is no longer directly selling Rift alone (not sure what's showing on the US store site, but I can't see it on the Canadian site).

I'm just curious if the plan going forward is to only sell it as a bundle--I don't necessarily disagree with it, but I can imagine that some people might not like it.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,139 Volunteer Moderator
    And Amazon UK are still offering Touch and the rifts at full price, hope they catch up soon.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,407 Valuable Player
    edited March 2017
    nalex66 said:

Ok just took another look at Oculus site - click on the " Add To Cart" icon, and the next screen gives an option to buy either the Rift or the Rift + Touch. Both at the reduced pricing.

They really should probably change that as it is a little ambiguous, it does appear you only have the option to buy the Rift + Touch bundle at first. Someone may decide " well I don't want both" and not proceed to adding to cart to even get to that next screen that gives the option.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    dburne said:
    nalex66 said:

Ok just took another look at Oculus site - click on the " Add To Cart" icon, and the next screen gives an option to buy either the Rift or the Rift + Touch. Both at the reduced pricing.
    I don't get that option, but what I can do is add the bundle to my cart, them remove Touch from my cart to get the Rift alone.

Anyway, not a big concern to me, just interesting to see what they might be doing with the store.
  • TheRealKeithTheRealKeith Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    While I'm glad that the whole setup's much more affordable now for those out there who haven't bought into VR yet, I can't help but feel a little miffed at having paid double the price for a pre-order and seeing it halved just three months later.

I'm pretty sure The Unspoken and VR Sports Challenge combined didn't add up to $100 (being pre-order bonuses), and all the other software that usually comes free with Touch but isn't in the store (Medium, Quill, Dead and Buried, etc.) is still free on new Touch activations, thus you get most of it for just $100.
    I actually feel the same way, not to mention having paid for the extra sensor as well. I think it's awesome that Oculus is reducing prices and I think the 50$ credit is an amazing gesture and the release of roborecall today is  a well placed bonus, but 50$ and a game? Rift + Touch is now 200$ cheaper and the sensor is 20$ cheaper and I bought all of it in the past 30 days. :/
  • KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 173
    Art3mis
    Is the price drop permanent? or is it like a limited time sale? I have a friend who is interested but I dont know if he is going to commit just yet
    It may suck if you didn't buy it that long ago, but in terms of the Rift, we're only a matter of weeks away from it having been released for a year.
  • SinisterSaladSinisterSalad Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    I sarcastically like how buying it within the last 30 days and you're an "early adopter".  What about those of us that pre-ordered withing the first few minutes? 
    DK2 Order date: Mar 27, 2014 12:46 PM PDT
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,823 Valuable Player
    well pleased they cut the price of the rift hmd. I wont lie tho, having barely used my touch or extra camera esp as its only worked properly for a few weeks I am a bit miffed that got cut so soon. defo would have waited too buy and think everyone with touch should get the store credit tbh like MS did with the original xbox.
    great news for vr tho and with tracking software improvements its a good week for oculus
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    just ordered a 4th sensor this past weekend, hopefully theyll guve me 20 bucks.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • AndrewJ71AndrewJ71 Posts: 280
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2017
    For me, the Touch price reduction smarts a little, so soon after launch. But oh well - I won't lose any sleep over it.

For the Rift itself, it's a year since launch, so a price drop now is perfectly reasonable. For those that bought not too long ago... well, that's the risk you take when purchasing anything a significant time after release. Price drops happen.
  • Nobbs66Nobbs66 Posts: 722 Poster of the Week
    Yeah, $100 drop on touch 2 months after release...ffs. I'd really love to know why the hell  people who activated touch within 30 days get $50 back when those of us with pre orders don't. I get that we got two free games, but even then I'd rather have taken the $50
    i7 5820K @ 4.4ghz | R9 Fury Tri X @ 1150mhz | 16GB DDR4 2133mhz
  • loregnumloregnum Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    I really like this for future buyers and VR in general but damn, a bit of a kick to the nuts to have bought the touch controllers back in December, been basically in beta because of the crummy multi sensor tracking and now have the price cut in half.

One positive is I almost ordered a 3rd sensor last night but stopped. No way will I order it now unless the price drops as its current price is ridiculous based on this touch price drop. I'd rather pay the extra and just get 2 more touch controllers.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    the sensors did drop from 80 to 60 
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • WmackyWmacky Posts: 118
    Art3mis
    I've been considering getting one again after canceling my preorder in disgust due to the store allotments while first dayers waited..   This is the incentive I needed. Do I get one tomorrow at Bestbuy, and pay the $40 in taxes or order online with tougher returns?
  • kgian76kgian76 Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    Good thing I got the oculus rift on black friday sale for 500 euros! Unfortunately I got the touch controllers for 250 euros though...
  • jumblijumbli Posts: 233 Oculus Start Member
    I hope this brings a deservedly big boost to Oculus sales. With great games, tracking fixes, lower spec PC requirement and a lower price of entry it really should start to broaden the appeal of VR. Now they just need gamers to realise what a good deal this is. Maybe it's time to start advertising.
    Developer of Dimensional, The Relentless, Breath Tech, Jigsaw 360
    View my dev blog at JumbliVR.com
  • Dan_E_BDan_E_B Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    nalex66 said:
    Apparently if you bought Touch within the last 30 days, you can get a $50 store credit, according to the article I linked.
    How can I contact them about this? 
    (Raise a ticket)
    i have literally just bought 2 sensors they are still in transit 
  • KayTanneeKayTannee Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I literally just bought the cv1 and touch on friday the 24th full price.. I mean I love the rift, but I am not too happy about missing the price drop by literally a few days.. My luck go figure.
    Yeh me too. Bought the Oculus through Amazon to avoid the 1000AUD Australia import tax, and then bought Touch direct from Oculus.

All week I've been having problems with the floor height constantly shifting. Its not a great start, if wasn't a pain to return it I probably will have already.

If this latest patch doesn't fix it I might just suck it up and return.

How do we get this $50 store credit that's mentioned in that article?

Dan_E_B said:
    nalex66 said:
    Apparently if you bought Touch within the last 30 days, you can get a $50 store credit, according to the article I linked.
    How can I contact them about this? 
    (Raise a ticket)
    i have literally just bought 2 sensors they are still in transit 
    I think they're only doing the store credit for Touch purchases, perhaps due to the significant amount of the price drop (50%, versus 25% for sensors).