I am pissed about this price drop. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I am pissed about this price drop.

DarkruneDarkrune Posts: 4
NerveGear
I understand that Oculus needs to stay afloat with this, but seriously, this is an affront to those who paid full price for this hardware.  I am grateful for the early adopter software perks, but I still feel about like I got the shaft.
Tagged:

Comments

• Arock387Arock387 Posts: 727
    Trinity
    edited March 2017
    When I first read about this I read a few lines and assumed everyone who bought the Rift early was getting the credit.  Turned out I should have kept reading as its for those who had purchased the Rift JUST before the drop.  

I am one of those who pre-ordered both the Rift, and the Touch, as well as a third sensor.  All at full price.  However.  I purchased at launch expecting to pay the full prices.  I sure would have been grateful for a store credit however I also understand that I also purchased the tech right out of the gate.  I fully expected a price drop to happen on the rift

HOWEVER: A drop on the touch controllers is way to soon.  I feel everyone who perhaps pre ordered the touch could enjoy this credit.  The Touch has been out since December. 12th.  That's not even a full four months. However they have decided to not credit those who payed full price mere months ago.  BUT IF you happen to have purchased the whole set within a few weeks than boom here is some credit.  

PERSPECTIVE POINT:  A few weeks is kind of only a few weeks or so from when the Touch launched.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,744 Valuable Player
    You have to ask yourself the question - was I happy to pay the full price when I bought the Rift and Touch controllers..?

Everyone would say yes to that question otherwise they wouldn't have bought them lol

Everyone being an early adopter of technology knows the risks of being an early adopter. Prices will always come down.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • e_m_d88e_m_d88 Posts: 372
    Trinity
    I was lucky that I was within 30 days when I bought my Rift + touch from the Microsoft store.  I called them and the refundede the difference of the new price.  I got back $391 CAD. I know it sucks for people.  But that's the chance we take when we buy stuff. 
    ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S, i5 6600K. 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3000 MHZ. SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 gigs. WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU. Inatech 4 port USB 3.0.  Rift + Touch.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,266 Valuable Player
    edited March 2017
    I don't understand why we need more threads on the same subject. Can we not just stick to just one thread because this is starting to fill up the General section of the forum. Can an admin not just merge them all together?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,108 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    You have to ask yourself the question - was I happy to pay the full price when I bought the Rift and Touch controllers..?
    Precisely. The tone of these types of threads is, "I am angry that other people were made happy." :o

lovethis said:
    I don't understand why we need more threads on the same subject.
    You know there's a problem when lovethis does not love this :#

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    Touch is a little annoying, but the head set has been out a while, not really surprised at the price reduction of that TBH.
    Cutting edge tech always drops like a stone. If you can't live with that, Don't buy it.

Could be worse, you could have bought a titan X :-)

Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    Yep. One post troll. Moving on.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • DarkruneDarkrune Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edmg said:
    Technology sees price cuts all the time. Just think of the people who bought a GTX1080 recently and now see it cut by a couple of hundred dollars because the GTX1080Ti is coming out.
    I am also in this same boat X 2, but GPU's are expected to do this over a 6 month period.  We invested in more than just a piece of hardware.  We accepted a vision and are getting kicked in the nuts for it.
    NerveGear
    kevink808 said:
    This is not a one post troll.  I pre-ordered the touch and now it is 99 bucks.  If you read, I said I am grateful for the software we got, but the decision feels knee jerk.  You shouldn't isolate your old support base in favor of a new one that banks on lowering the price.  
    Darkrune said:
    kevink808 said:
    This is not a one post troll.  I pre-ordered the touch and now it is 99 bucks.  If you read, I said I am grateful for the software we got, but the decision feels knee jerk.  You shouldn't isolate your old support base in favor of a new one that banks on lowering the price.  
    I pre-ordered as well and disagree completely that a discount several months later in any way isolates the "old" support base. If you feel isolated then that is your own doing; something caused by your own desire to view things in a way that makes you feel negative.

I feel great knowing that more people are coming to VR; and multiplayer game wait times will be decreased.

It's all a matter of perspective.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    Darkrune said:
    kevink808 said:
    What?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,292 Volunteer Moderator
    lovethis said:
    I don't understand why we need more threads on the same subject. Can we not just stick to just one thread because this is starting to fill up the General section of the forum. Can an admin not just merge them all together?
    Mods don't have that ability. We can just lock, delete and move threads, we can't merge them. Cyber might be able to.

• matskatsabamatskatsaba Posts: 275
    Nexus 6
    This is not a one post troll.
    This is just someone being jealous for exclusivity.
    Here's the news, some people did't buy the touch+rift because they deemed it's too expensive.
    Some people have also discussed on the forum when the rift price was introduced, that they would have bought the set if the whole thing was 600$ not just the rift. Getting pissed for oculus trying to haul in those people is a very childish idea, nobody was forcing you to preorder or anything.
    Not only the eventual price drop was speculated back then, it happens to literally everything that is sold on the market.
    Get your head out of the sand and try to explain how you are being isolated?
    Support base?
    Are you for real?
    Did you support oculus? 
    If you have (backed the kickstarter), then this is no issue for you since you got your CV for free, so even a full price touch would mean 200 bucks spent on oculus+touch.
    If you did not, then you are not "old support base", just a customer, pissed about a company making a price cut half year after release.

Oculus has stated many times, that the profit is not coming from hardware sales.
    It sounds logical to boost hardware sales even at a level of loss in order to generate greater audience for oculus home - the more reason for developers to work on quality content.

Of course you will pay a higher price for every single thing you want to obtain before anyone else.
    Exclusivity feels nice right? Then don't whine that it comes at a price.
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    Darkrune said:
    kevink808 said:
    I pre-ordered as well and disagree completely that a discount several months later in any way isolates the "old" support base. If you feel isolated then that is your own doing; something caused by your own desire to view things in a way that makes you feel negative.

I feel great knowing that more people are coming to VR; and multiplayer game wait times will be decreased.

It's all a matter of perspective.
    I could see this if it weren't only 2.5 months.
  • bptk01bptk01 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I was one of the lucky few who get a rift/touch right before the price drop. So I was able to get a combo gift card, a price match (additional 50). And a credit/the games bundle. Worked out for me. 
    edited March 2017
    Darkrune said:
    I could see this if it weren't only 2.5 months.
    You are placing an imaginary time metric on your personal judgement call here.

The fact is you paid to get it sooner than anyone else. The price for entry to VR whether you go Vive or Rift is very high when considering the PC upgrades needed before spending over $600 on the VR kit.

There is no reason to purposely get in to a bleeding edge market on Day 1, and then claim "foul play" when discounts happen over 30 days later. This type of thing has happened with "straight out the gate" electronics for decades.

If anything, consider the extra $200 as a well paid lesson. What do you learn? Next time wait longer.

I have seen VR games I bought go on discount in less than 30 days later. It upsets me not at all. And I keep buying them asap.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,266 Valuable Player
    @Darkrune - A price drop has to happen at some point. I've bought plenty of things in my time when the price was more the day before. Hell, I even walked into a supermarket just the other day and paid £5.50 for a whole chicken. When I went back later that night because I'd forgot to get the sauce they were selling the same Chickens for £3.50. The chicken still tasted nice though when I devoured it later on.
  • nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 516
    Trinity
    edited March 2017
    All i can say i hope the reduction in Oculus VR is because newer technology has become cheaper thus making the existing technology more affordable. If this is the case then i am more than happy to get slapped in the face with these reductions (joking). Seriously i am happy that people on a tighter budget maybe in a position to enjoy better VR experiences and we grow as a community
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 374
    Trinity
    Darkrune said:
    I understand that Oculus needs to stay afloat with this, but seriously, this is an affront to those who paid full price for this hardware.  I am grateful for the early adopter software perks, but I still feel about like I got the shaft.
    This is why we can't have nice things.  People get mad and make everyone else mad.  I guess OP would want Rift+Touch to stay at $800; it's only fair that everyone gets equally "screwed". :(
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Trinity
    edited March 2017
    Darkrune said:
    This is why we can't have nice things.  People get mad and make everyone else mad.  I guess OP would want Rift+Touch to stay at $800; it's only fair that everyone gets equally "screwed". :(
    I would rather a price drop than VR fail for Oculus..I saying this because VR is already a success, if Oculus becomes more affordable, customer base will grow and developers are gonna see $$$ which is great news for us.
    Lets focus on the positives, f$ck i got games in my library i havent even played yet and i have seen the sames games reduce in price week after
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,823 Valuable Player
    edited March 2017
    snowdog said:

Everyone would say yes to that question otherwise they wouldn't have bought them lol

Everyone being an early adopter of technology knows the risks of being an early adopter. Prices will always come down.
    within reason yes, everyone who bought the hmd on launch should not be surprised, however i can only think of 2 cases where massive price cuts happened so soon WRT Touch (we are not talking 10% here, but 50% on the touch). and in both the cases i can think of where this happened so soon the early adopters were given free games as an apology.   I dont think anyone thinks Oculus are obliged to do anything, but there is a difference between obliged to and good customer service.

The stupid thing is there are a bunch of folk i know of who not only get the $50 credit, but are also getting a full refund and a repurchase at the lower price. All above board and legal....... Rewarding those who are able to get a refund and repurchase anyway seems illogical to me.

My toys are still fully in my pram, and i respect that some feel that this is all fine and what ever. it is ok to have different views without throwing insults, but, that said, the comparisons being made to show how all companies do what oculus have done regarding price cuts within a few months are simply untrue.

The fact - and this is a fact - that a lot of people have only have working touch for under a week just adds salt to it.  i am luckier than some. i have had mostly trouble free touch gaming since 1.11 dropped - but it was only at 1.12 that my disconnection issues were fully fixed, (and at that only after buying extra hardware despite my pc passing all pre order tests, and the xbox 1 pad support is still broken,

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Trinity
    Oculus marketing team are not the best..
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,823 Valuable Player
    nAV2016 said:
    lol 1 way of putting it.

BTW just for the record, I am super happy for the price drop! also hope the rumours are true and the HMD without touch is being dropped.  IMO fragmentation can only be a bad thing for VR (which is why ideally i want to see vive and all other hmds officially supported on oculus store)  so the more people with touch the better.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Trinity
    nAV2016 said:
    lol 1 way of putting it.

BTW just for the record, I am super happy for the price drop! also hope the rumours are true and the HMD without touch is being dropped.  IMO fragmentation can only be a bad thing for VR (which is why ideally i want to see vive and all other hmds officially supported on oculus store)  so the more people with touch the better.

I consider myself an investor in the technology and always knew i was paying a price for early adaption. Oculus have made some bad decisions which i hope in time they can reconsider, like u have said  "IMO fragmentation can only be a bad thing for VR (which is why ideally i want to see vive and all other hmds officially supported on oculus store)  so the more people with touch the better."
    I completely agree with u.. :)
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    edited March 2017
    Oculus should make the Rift and the Touch more expensive. People who have bought both would be grateful.

Ah... btw: I've bought both for full price.

Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P