cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am pissed about this price drop.

Darkrune
Explorer
I understand that Oculus needs to stay afloat with this, but seriously, this is an affront to those who paid full price for this hardware.  I am grateful for the early adopter software perks, but I still feel about like I got the shaft.
187 REPLIES 187

bptk01
Honored Guest
I was one of the lucky few who get a rift/touch right before the price drop. So I was able to get a combo gift card, a price match (additional 50). And a credit/the games bundle. Worked out for me. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Darkrune said:
I could see this if it weren't only 2.5 months.

You are placing an imaginary time metric on your personal judgement call here.

The fact is you paid to get it sooner than anyone else. The price for entry to VR whether you go Vive or Rift is very high when considering the PC upgrades needed before spending over $600 on the VR kit.

There is no reason to purposely get in to a bleeding edge market on Day 1, and then claim "foul play" when discounts happen over 30 days later. This type of thing has happened with "straight out the gate" electronics for decades.

If anything, consider the extra $200 as a well paid lesson. What do you learn? Next time wait longer.

I have seen VR games I bought go on discount in less than 30 days later. It upsets me not at all. And I keep buying them asap.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Darkrune - A price drop has to happen at some point. I've bought plenty of things in my time when the price was more the day before. Hell, I even walked into a supermarket just the other day and paid £5.50 for a whole chicken. When I went back later that night because I'd forgot to get the sauce they were selling the same Chickens for £3.50. The chicken still tasted nice though when I devoured it later on.

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
All i can say i hope the reduction in Oculus VR is because newer technology has become cheaper thus making the existing technology more affordable. If this is the case then i am more than happy to get slapped in the face with these reductions (joking). Seriously i am happy that people on a tighter budget maybe in a position to enjoy better VR experiences and we grow as a community

ShocksVR
Superstar

Darkrune said:

I understand that Oculus needs to stay afloat with this, but seriously, this is an affront to those who paid full price for this hardware.  I am grateful for the early adopter software perks, but I still feel about like I got the shaft.

This is why we can't have nice things.  People get mad and make everyone else mad.  I guess OP would want Rift+Touch to stay at $800; it's only fair that everyone gets equally "screwed". 😞
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer

Darkrune said:

This is why we can't have nice things.  People get mad and make everyone else mad.  I guess OP would want Rift+Touch to stay at $800; it's only fair that everyone gets equally "screwed". 😞

I would rather a price drop than VR fail for Oculus..I saying this because VR is already a success, if Oculus becomes more affordable, customer base will grow and developers are gonna see $$$ which is great news for us.
Lets focus on the positives, f$ck i got games in my library i havent even played yet and i have seen the sames games reduce in price week after

bigmike20vt
Visionary

snowdog said:

You have to ask yourself the question - was I happy to pay the full price when I bought the Rift and Touch controllers..?

Everyone would say yes to that question otherwise they wouldn't have bought them lol

Everyone being an early adopter of technology knows the risks of being an early adopter. Prices will always come down.

within reason yes, everyone who bought the hmd on launch should not be surprised, however i can only think of 2 cases where massive price cuts happened so soon WRT Touch (we are not talking 10% here, but 50% on the touch). and in both the cases i can think of where this happened so soon the early adopters were given free games as an apology.   I dont think anyone thinks Oculus are obliged to do anything, but there is a difference between obliged to and good customer service.

The stupid thing is there are a bunch of folk i know of who not only get the $50 credit, but are also getting a full refund and a repurchase at the lower price. All above board and legal....... Rewarding those who are able to get a refund and repurchase anyway seems illogical to me.

My toys are still fully in my pram, and i respect that some feel that this is all fine and what ever. it is ok to have different views without throwing insults, but, that said, the comparisons being made to show how all companies do what oculus have done regarding price cuts within a few months are simply untrue.

The fact - and this is a fact - that a lot of people have only have working touch for under a week just adds salt to it.  i am luckier than some. i have had mostly trouble free touch gaming since 1.11 dropped - but it was only at 1.12 that my disconnection issues were fully fixed, (and at that only after buying extra hardware despite my pc passing all pre order tests, and the xbox 1 pad support is still broken,

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
Oculus marketing team are not the best..

bigmike20vt
Visionary

nAV2016 said:

lol 1 way of putting it.

BTW just for the record, I am super happy for the price drop! also hope the rumours are true and the HMD without touch is being dropped.  IMO fragmentation can only be a bad thing for VR (which is why ideally i want to see vive and all other hmds officially supported on oculus store)  so the more people with touch the better.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer

nAV2016 said:

lol 1 way of putting it.

BTW just for the record, I am super happy for the price drop! also hope the rumours are true and the HMD without touch is being dropped.  IMO fragmentation can only be a bad thing for VR (which is why ideally i want to see vive and all other hmds officially supported on oculus store)  so the more people with touch the better.

I consider myself an investor in the technology and always knew i was paying a price for early adaption. Oculus have made some bad decisions which i hope in time they can reconsider, like u have said  "IMO fragmentation can only be a bad thing for VR (which is why ideally i
want to see vive and all other hmds officially supported on oculus
store)  so the more people with touch the better
."
I completely agree with u.. 🙂