cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washed out colours in Elite: Dangerous after Oculus Home 1.12 update

sloth77
Honored Guest
I've been playing E:D on the Rift CV1 for over 6 months and it looked great. I started it today and straight away I noticed that the colours were washed out. What was once black is now an unpleasant dark grey.

This happens regardless of whether I run E:D from Steam or from a separate install in Oculus Home.

I've tried removing the graphic settings in the user profile area but still the effect remains. I've reinstalled the latest NVIDIA driver and this hasn't fixed it. The only thing I can think of that has changed in the last few days is Oculus Home. I've tried reinstalling the Oculus Home but that hasn't help either.

No other games seem to be affected, just E:D. 

Any ideas?
27 REPLIES 27

flexy123
Superstar
>>
I've reinstalled the latest NVIDIA driver and this hasn't fixed it.
>>

Here we go!

You need to unplug your rift from the HDMI port and plug a normal monitor in the same port. Then, with the monitor plugged in, go to NV control panel, click to "Change resolution" --> "Output dynamic range", and change to "Full".

Then re-plug your Rift.

(This is an old and still unsolved annoyance that every new Nvidia drivers install sets the colour range wrong since they assume everything connected to HDMI is a TV, with a limited color range). Once you set the range to full, it should stick, until the next time you install a new Nvidia driver)

(Alternatively, you can skip the entire issue with a DisplayPort/DVI --> HDMI adapter for the Rift.)

kzintzi
Trustee
I've occasionally seen this when the tracking on my rift is flakey due to USB ports being offlined for power saving (stupid windows 10). when it's working as it should, you can replicate the issue by covering the majority of the LED's on the headset so the camera loses tracking.

unplugging and replugging the headset sorts it.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

JesseDeya
Expert Protege

flexy123 said:

(This is an old and still unsolved annoyance that every new Nvidia drivers install sets the colour range wrong since they assume everything connected to HDMI is a TV, with a limited color range). Once you set the range to full, it should stick, until the next time you install a new Nvidia driver)

(Alternatively, you can skip the entire issue with a DisplayPort/DVI --> HDMI adapter for the Rift.)

So if I'm using my Rift with a DP-->HDMI adaptor, but my primary display is a TV via HDMI, how do I make sure I have Full range on both? 

EDIT:
Well damn, got home and turns out my TV was plugged in via my DP adaptor (and dynamic range was full), but my Rift was plugged into HDMI. Upon plugging my TV into the Rift's HDMI port I could immediately see it was set to Limited!

Glad I read this thread, lord knows how long I've had limited range in my Rift!

YoLolo69
Trustee
I still puzzled by this issue. From all that time I was hoping the Rift could return such information to the NVidia drivers (through EDID) or the NVidia drivers recognize the Rift EDID, and fix this issue...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

JesseDeya
Expert Protege
If someone could reliably figure out which registry entries toggle that info with the newer NVidia drivers (since 347.09), I reckon ApollyonVR could figure how to add it to his Oculus Tray Tool.

vannagirl
Consultant

flexy123 said:

>>
I've reinstalled the latest NVIDIA driver and this hasn't fixed it.
>>

Here we go!

You need to unplug your rift from the HDMI port and plug a normal monitor in the same port. Then, with the monitor plugged in, go to NV control panel, click to "Change resolution" --> "Output dynamic range", and change to "Full".

Then re-plug your Rift.

i never knew this

i think mine is in a adapter most times but i bookmarked this thank you everyone for the infos, i love elite as a vr exp anything that helps is good to know

you all do the hard work so the rest of us can benefit 😛
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
On my system (NV control panel 8.1.930.0) this was found under Video-->Adjust Video Color Settings and I had to change to "With NVIDEA settings" before I could select "Full (0-255)". 
@sloth77: you are not alone.  I also lost the low end of the color depth when I updated.  Thanks @flexy123 for the fix (worked for me).
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

firebane
Protege
You mean this WHOLE TIME I've been playing everything with limited color settings?!?!  Motherf*#$*@#$%#$%@#

vannagirl
Consultant

firebane said:

You mean this WHOLE TIME I've been playing everything with limited color settings?!?!  Motherf*#$*@#$%#$%@#

Yes

Flexy for El Presidente!!
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are.