cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washed out colours in Elite: Dangerous after Oculus Home 1.12 update

sloth77
Honored Guest
I've been playing E:D on the Rift CV1 for over 6 months and it looked great. I started it today and straight away I noticed that the colours were washed out. What was once black is now an unpleasant dark grey.

This happens regardless of whether I run E:D from Steam or from a separate install in Oculus Home.

I've tried removing the graphic settings in the user profile area but still the effect remains. I've reinstalled the latest NVIDIA driver and this hasn't fixed it. The only thing I can think of that has changed in the last few days is Oculus Home. I've tried reinstalling the Oculus Home but that hasn't help either.

No other games seem to be affected, just E:D. 

Any ideas?
27 REPLIES 27

sloth77
Honored Guest
>Wait, so it was or wasn't related to the 'limited' vs 'full' RGB setting for HDMI?

Dunno to be honest.  Certainly my NVIDIA settings always showed "Full" even when I plugged the monitor into the HDMI port used by the Rift.  But that might be because I couldn't hot-swap the monitor and had to reboot when switching cables.

>What was in the Appdata folder that was causing it to revert??

No idea, I had a quick look but the settings appear to be stored in an SQL database and not human-readable.
But only after re-running the initial setup (by deleting the %APPDATA%\Oculus) did the full contrast return.

JesseDeya
Expert Protege
Did that also delete all your game data? Is your Elite Oculus Store or Steam?

kzintzi
Trustee

Bloodlet said:

kzintzi said:

I've occasionally seen this when the tracking on my rift is flakey due to USB ports being offlined for power saving (stupid windows 10). when it's working as it should, you can replicate the issue by covering the majority of the LED's on the headset so the camera loses tracking.

unplugging and replugging the headset sorts it.

@kzintzi
You know you can disable that power saving option?

Control panel/system and security/Power options/Change plan settings(Blue text)/change advanced power settings{blue text)/usb settings/usb selective suspend/setting ->disable

Apply and close. 😉

yeah, it was a while ago when I first got my rift (sorted now) - the first couple of times it had me cursing and crawling under desks and stuff to disconnect everything
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

sloth77
Honored Guest

JesseDeya said:

Did that also delete all your game data? Is your Elite Oculus Store or Steam?

My game data got deleted a while back when I reinstalled Oculus Home, and I play E:D from Steam. There is a risk it might delete game data though, although you could always backup the directory before deleting.

CogitoSum
Honored Guest
Lucky.  I've done literally everything, including most recently a completely fresh installation of Windows 10.  Elite Dangerous still has terrible colour banding (most notable in the skybox and intro splash screens).

YoLolo69
Trustee
Intro splash screen is a low colors encoded video so you will never have something great here. You can find those video seeking in Elite directories and play them 2D on your monitor and you'll see the problem is "native" 😉

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

CogitoSum
Honored Guest
The thing is, it doesn't look that bad on my monitor.  I can also remember a time on the DK2 when it didn't look like that (nor did the skybox).  For me, one of the earlier Oculus updates semi broke it (I could fix it by closing and reopening the application a few times), and then eventually completely broke it. 

flexy123
Superstar
It is well possible that the Rift, at some point establishes what color range it should output, if the range (of the display, or what the driver outputs) is limited. If you then change it back to full later via this "trick" it might still use the "incorrect" limited range.

This would explain why it fixed things for the guy who said he deleted the %appdata%\oculus folder. Just speculating, a new Oculus setup would then see the driver outputs "full" and then adjust the Rift accordingly. (In the same way as monitors and TVs have a setting for "TV" or "PC" ranges).