cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get the new Gear VR?

GenetixStudio
Superstar
I've had the Rift since the day it came out... well you know, since that day and some change... but did pre-order 9 minutes out (only due to the website crashing... those were exciting days!)

I've toyed around a bit with google cardboard and some 'nicer' HMD's for it, while entirely aware that it was nothing on par with the experience that a Rift can offer. Up until yesterday I've had a very old phone (fitting for a mobile app developer).

Last night I upgraded and have a Galaxy s7 - the intriguing thing for myself is the realization that I can now actually own a Gear VR. 

That new controller we've seen shown off makes it look a bit more palpable as well. I'll of course be doing research, and most likely due to my undying love for anything VR end up purchasing it. What do you guys think, is it a pretty great experience? I've only ever tried one briefly in a gamestop.

Another question - does anyone know if any of our Rift titles are cross compatible with Gear VR? Not sure I expect them to be, but that would be pretty great if so.

***To add: I of course realize that there will not be positional tracking, Touch controls, and so on... that being said, there are still a lot of great things that mobile VR can be used for currently as far as I can tell.
14 REPLIES 14

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Didn't they drop support for the S7 due to the fire hazard problem? I could have the wrong model, I don't really follow mobile VR news too closely.

Edit: Sorry, that was the Note7. Never mind, carry on.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

GenetixStudio
Superstar
I'll have to double back myself but I believe the S7 should be supported. Here is an ARS article about the new Gear VR and it's new controller. Hopefully works well, VR on the go sounds all to tempting despite it's lack of full features!

You'll love it.  I've tried several versions of the Cardboard - none ever came close to the Gear VR, dev and consumer version.

You might regret not waiting for the S8 though.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

GenetixStudio
Superstar
Very well could be, but was able to get the phone for $399 brand new and won't likely see any better deals for awhile. Looking forward to it, having a controller as opposed to touching the headset itself definitely seems like a major improvement.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy S7/S7 Edge is of course supported, it is samsungs current top of the line. (The NOTE 7 was removed).

The Gear VR is absolutely best for media consumption (movies, pictures), with the S7 it provides a much clearer picture than the Rift because of those god awful smudges in the Rift.

For games pc headsets will always have an advantage because of the raw power you can throw at it.

There are a few "cross-compatible" releases like Anshar Wars 2 for example exists for both Rift and Gear VR. I think there are a few other titles but not that many.

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
Tethered

elrealchiqui
Heroic Explorer
No game is cross compatible between the Rift and the Gear. It's up to the developers to develop 2 different versions if they want to see their games/apps on both platforms.

If you're a VR enthusiastic and the new Gear cost around 100$ like previous models, I think you should get it 😉

Timnijland
Protege
Wait till the S8 drops, will be a great offer for sure!

GenetixStudio
Superstar
Already got the phone - just curious now that I have one capable of using GearVR I don't see it every replacing my Rift, but it seems to hard to resist not owning.