DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017) - Page 27 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017)

Comments

• JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 132
    Art3mis

I have this issue too, using a GTX1080 and 6700k. It seems that ASW is on 100% of the time almost, causing a lot of GFX glitches as well as small stutters here and there. The previous version was almost flawless for me. I have tested with and without the HD texture packs and get identical results. Basically, the game is unplayable for me at the moment.
    Have you tried disabling ASW using the Oculus Debug Tool?  After doing that, and without changing any graphics settings, I was getting a solid 90 FPS, and all the glitches you're talking about went away! (1070 and 4790k here)
  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    To show the FPS, in the console type com_showFPS 2 or com_showFPS 1 for more details.
    Use Ctrl + NumPad1 to disable ASW. It is a huge improvement. You may have to set a registry key first, I don't know.

ASW.jpg 247.3K
  • ApollyonVRApollyonVR Posts: 370
    Trinity
    edited March 2017
    Was also getting huge fps drops. Deleted everything in the DOOM 3 BFG folder and used the "verify integrity" feature in steam to reinstall it. Installed the VR mod and the texture pack suggested by @Syndroid on page 21. Mostly smooth now, can drop to to around 80-85 with SS at 1.8. And you do not need any registry key to control ASW, it can be done with either the suggested key combos, the debug tool or my own Oculus Tray Tool application. If you are bothered with ASW kicking in now and then, try locking it to 45 fps with ASW on. That should set it to always be on and you don't get the switching back and forth. Or disable it and check the performance graph and see what fps you are getting. Really awesome work you guys have done on this, very very impressive. Teleporting works like a charm. =)
    Trinity
    I just added a menu option for Asynchronous SpaceWarp, and disable it by default, in the next version. I had to use fake keystrokes because I didn't see an API for it.

The problem seems to be the Render Backend time being extremely inconsistent. But I have no idea why.
    Trinity
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,005 Valuable Player
    edited March 2017
    wow! some great work there guys!. Are there no disgruntled employees at sega who could leak the Alien Isolation Source? ;)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • CylonSurferCylonSurfer Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    edited March 2017
    Have you tried disabling ASW using the Oculus Debug Tool?  After doing that, and without changing any graphics settings, I was getting a solid 90 FPS, and all the glitches you're talking about went away! (1070 and 4790k here)
    Thank you, I'll give that a go when I get home. Fingers crossed that will fix the issue, now if only I could get my old saves to work again.

@2EyeGuy
    I also noticed that if I change my height using the menus it gets changed back when a new level or map is loaded. I think the old version did the same as well. The new audio mirroring also doesn't appear to work with the new version.

As others have said, great work so far!
  • Kano_ConnorKano_Connor Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    edited March 2017

One question: Am I the only one having severe performance problems? It looks like ASW is kicking in all the time.

I have this issue too, using a GTX1080 and 6700k. It seems that ASW is on 100% of the time almost, causing a lot of GFX glitches as well as small stutters here and there. The previous version was almost flawless for me. I have tested with and without the HD texture packs and get identical results. Basically, the game is unplayable for me at the moment.

The update also broke my previous save games the same as Baggyg and I notice it doesn't work with the new Oculus audio mirroring option enabled, the game loads but only plays sound through the windows default audio device and isn't mirrored to the Rift headphones.
    I am having performance problems too, Just created a disscussion for it

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/50405/anyone-experiencing-bad-doom-vr-performance#latest

I noticed some severe lag, fired up the tray tool and found out that its constantly dropping application frames. This is the first version I have used but its definitely not playable. Running 5820k @ 4.5ghz and a 1070.
    Trinity
    edited March 2017
    Don't delete or overwrite any saved games that don't work. I'm fixing all the game loading bugs in the next version (which I'll release soon).

The reason it fails to load saved games from 0.015 is because we had to change the scripts at the last minute to make them compatible with the texture pack, and Doom 3 BFG was designed in such a way that you can't load games with different scripts, and you can't tell what versions of the scripts a game was saved with. So I had to add a lot of hacks to discard the script and thread stuff if it doesn't match, and just load the scripts the same way it would when you start a new game. You'll lose the state of scripts, but that's mostly just whether a monster is currently attacking you, whether you're in the middle of reloading, or whether you're using the PDA. Everything else will load like normal.

Edit: Also I forgot we changed the game name to "DOOM 3 BFG VR: Fully Possessed" and it wouldn't load saves that didn't have that name.

The reason it crashes sometimes trying to load it's own saves, is if it saves the player before the teleport target icon, loading the player creates a new teleport target icon, and loading the teleport target fails with an error because there's already one. Then it tries to shutdown the map gracefully because of the error, but it tries to shut down a physics entity that hasn't been fully loaded yet, and crashes trying to read from a NULL pointer. I'm just about to fix that now. On the other hand, if it saved the teleport target first, then loading the player sees that there's already a teleport target and doesn't create a new one, and it loads successfully. So there's a random 50% chance that anything you save won't load in the current version.

I've fixed the german.lang problem, the Asynchronous SpaceWarp problem, the talk wake monster bug, and mostly fixed the loading game problems. So I'll do a new release soon.

But I can't fix the menu is black on ATI problem because I don't have an ATI card, and I can't fix the crashes on startup because I can't replicate them. And I can't fix the dropped (to asynchronous timewarp, not actually dropped) frames that happen intermittently, because I can't work out what's causing them.
    Art3mis
    Great news about the saves. I disabled ASW manually last night, while it fixed the graphical glitches the root problem is still very noticable. Instead glitches I now see the touch controllers skipping / stuttering as I move them and the occassional jerkiness while moving around. Still unplayable for me unfortunately :( 

• ObihbObihb Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    I've also been experience a lot of stutter in recent updates and I finally found the problem. If you set com_fixedTick "1" it should fix it.
    Trinity
    edited March 2017
    There's no such variable as "com_fixedTick", unless you are thinking of a different mod.
    EDIT: It's "com_fixedTic"
  • ObihbObihb Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    My bad,   com_fixedTic   ...  without the "k"
    Art3mis
    edited March 2017
    Can confirm that a combination of switching off ASW and entering com_fixedTic "1" in the console fixes the poor performance issue.

I added set com_fixedTic "1" to both vr_oculus_default.cfg & vr_openvr_default.cfg

Is there any way to set VR Character Settings > View Height in the above files? 67 is too high for me, I find 65.5 bring me to about eye level with the NPCs. This setting seems to get reset everytime the game loads a save or new level.

Other than that, everything appears back to normal other than my newer saves crash Doom on load with the error:

Multiple entities named 'vrTeleportTarget'

I have not changed anything since I last played and I've never used teleport. :/  Seems to do it to all non-auto saves.

• LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    edited March 2017
    Can confirm that a combination of switching off ASW and entering com_fixedTic "1" in the console fixes the poor performance issue.

I added set com_fixedTic "1" to both vr_oculus_default.cfg & vr_openvr_default.cfg

I also confirm the fix (great find Obihb!), although in my case I didn't have to disable ASW, just setting that variable completely fixed the issue. 2EyeGuy, I'm not sure if disabling ASW is a good idea, because you said that you can't do it for Doom 3 and you would do it globally simulating a keystroke. This can leave ASW completely disabled for all Oculus apps, so please, try the com_fixedTic thing without disabling ASW to see how it goes for you. With this fix, the mod is absolutely fantastic right now.

By the way, I just noticed (not sure if someone already reported it) that when you have a weapon on your right hand and another weapon on the right holster, if you open the PDA the weapon on the holster goes away and you must pick it up again.

Another small annoyance: the sound comes from the default audio device instead of Rift audio, so I always must set it as default before playing the game.
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
    Art3mis
    edited March 2017
    I also confirm the fix (great find Obihb!), although in my case I didn't have to disable ASW, just setting that variable completely fixed the issue. 2EyeGuy, I'm not sure if disabling ASW is a good idea, because you said that you can't do it for Doom 3 and you would do it globally simulating a keystroke. This can leave ASW completely disabled for all Oculus apps, so please, try the com_fixedTic thing without disabling ASW to see how it goes for you. With this fix, the mod is absolutely fantastic right now.

Another small annoyance: the sound comes from the default audio device instead of Rift audio, so I always must set it as default before playing the game.
    Yup, I noticed that too. No need to disable ASW at all. I have the same issue with sound, it stops the new Oculus audio mirroring from working too.

I found that pm_normalviewheight "66" sets the character height from the console, but can't find a way to make it default or stick for the next level. Any ideas?

Trinity

Is there any way to set VR Character Settings > View Height in the above files? 67 is too high for me, I find 65.5 bring me to about eye level with the NPCs. This setting seems to get reset everytime the game loads a save or new level.

Other than that, everything appears back to normal other than my newer saves crash Doom on load with the error:

Multiple entities named 'vrTeleportTarget'

I have not changed anything since I last played and I've never used teleport. :/  Seems to do it to all non-auto saves.

So it's not a performance issue at all, it's just that the engine's 90 FPS doesn't exactly match the graphics card's, so every so often it thinks it needs to insert an extra engine frame and delay. Shortly after I said I couldn't fix this issue, I starting thinking about it, and was leaning towards that.conclusion.

Now I need to test what effect com_fixedTic has on features that slow time (slow mo motion sickness aid, and the next version's optional QuakeCon teleport mode), or freeze time (Flicksync, and pause menu on PDA). And what effect it has when the game actually can't run at 90 FPS for performance reasons.

I may have to use another solution to do something similar to what com_fixedTic does. Leyland's mod also dealt with this problem, and I think they came up with a solution.

All the game-loading bugs are already all completely fixed in the next version. It doesn't matter whether you use teleport or not, we still create a vrTeleportTarget entity (or two by accident) in case we need to draw Samson's pretty blue circle and parabola. There's no way to avoid this bug in the current version (except perhaps if you try deleting that entity from the console before you save or load the game?), so I'll release a new version soon. But any buggy saved-games you create now, you WILL be able to load in the next version. So don't worry, you just have to wait a few days before you can load those games you saved.

Right now I was working on trying to load saved games from Leyland's RBDoom 3 VR mod and the original Doom 3 BFG. But it's not working yet. I don't know if Samson or Leyland added some extra things to the save file that they didn't document (I fixed the documented ones already), or if some of the restore code calculates the size of what it's loading dynamically. Maybe I'll just check the file offset in each mod after loading each item until I find where they differ. I'd really like people to be able to transfer over all their progress.

By the way, I just noticed (not sure if someone already reported it) that when you have a weapon on your right hand and another weapon on the right holster, if you open the PDA the weapon on the holster goes away and you must pick it up again.

I assumed disabling ASW with the shortcut keys was specific to that game session, not global. Can we get confirmation on this, @cybereality? I guess I'll add a fifth option to leave the setting unchanged, and make that setting the default. By the way, if anyone from Oculus is listening, the way ASW works is extremely annoying for games that run at between 45 and 90 FPS. Which is basically every game. Dolphin VR MUST be able to run at 50 or 60 FPS or it will be completely broken. You're effectively forcing us to make our own asynchronous timewarp implementation, even though you had your own built into the drivers. Also it would be nice if there was an Asynchronous Timewarp mode for content that is locked at 30 FPS. We try to redraw the scene with opcode replay, but I'd like to give users the option of falling back to Asynchronous Space/Timewap for when it doesn't work.

That holster issue isn't a bug, it's a feature. I knew it would happen like that when I designed it. You don't have to pick the weapon up again, it's still in your inventory and strapped to your back, it just doesn't magically go back into the holster after you had to holster something else there to use your PDA. It was too much work to fix and I was lazy, but it also matches real life, so I thought it was OK. Holster your current weapon, say the name of the old weapon that was holstered there before or grab it from your back, then holster it again. Then you will be back how you were.

Originally the gun you were holding just magically disappeared while using the PDA, but I didn't like that. Now while holding your PDA you can see your gun, and reach for it with either hand to put the PDA away and grab the gun in that hand.

I think it also affects touch screens, which is a more serious issue for people who want to have their guns set up before going through a locked door. But I went with real-life logic rather than video-game logic. In real life though you'd use your left hand to press touch screens if holding something in your right, so I'd like to add that feature.

I'm aware of the sound issue. It's always been that way for me with this mod. I don't know if it's because Samson implemented it wrong, or because I chose the wrong CMake project file. There's cmake-vs2013-32bit.bat and cmake-vs2013-32bit-OpenAL.bat and I don't know which I'm supposed to use. I don't even know which one I did use to build that released version.

Oculus, in their wisdom, didn't provide an actual useful API, example, or documentation to get the sound device in a way that's compatible with any modern sound API. So unless you're using DirectX 8 and DirectSound, you have to come up with a hack. I can try using the hack I used for Dolphin VR, but that's only based on how my own computer seems to do things, I have no idea how compatible it is with other OSes or drivers. That reminds me, the Oculus positional audio SDK doesn't actually include an actual SDK, which seems kind of insane to me. @cybereality
  • Kano_ConnorKano_Connor Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    edited March 2017
    Well done with the fix everyone! Booted it up, wacked in the console command and boom, 75% percent  performance overhead and totally stable :)
    Trinity
    I just got loading games from Leyland's RBDoom 3 VR mod, and the  original Doom 3 BFG, working. Loading games from other mods will probably work too. Gosh that was a lot of work though. Doom 3 really wasn't designed for this.

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,962 Valuable Player
    Oh my! A possible framerate fix! Gonna test when I get home - would be awesome if I could FINALLY play more than the first 5 minutes before throwing in the towel.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb (arriving shortly)
    Art3mis
    2EyeGuy said:
    I just got loading games from Leyland's RBDoom 3 VR mod, and the  original Doom 3 BFG, working. Loading games from other mods will probably work too. Gosh that was a lot of work though. Doom 3 really wasn't designed for this.

Great news, any idea when you'll be uploading a version with the save game fix implimented? Would be great to be able to continue playing this awesome mod.
    Trinity
    Soon. But I should fix the Async SpaceWarp and the timing.
    Art3mis
    edited March 2017
    A quick fix for the saves will get people up and running again at the very least, for now the console commands above fix the frame rate issues while you guys take your time to look into a better solution.
    Trinity
    OK, I did some testing of com_fixedTic. It works great MOST of the time. But it completely breaks the Slow-Mo motion sickness aid, and the new (you don't have it yet) QuakeCon teleport mode. Nothing will be in slow-motion when it's supposed to be, except the sound. But it will make the game slow-motion when it's not supposed to be, such as whenever the FPS drops below 90. It's really bad with Asynchronous SpaceWarp, if your computer can't maintain 90 FPS, because then everything will be a constant half-speed slow motion. So if you're setting com_fixedTic to 1 and you'r computer isn't a beast, you should disable ASW with Ctrl+1 (use Ctrl+4 to re-enable if needed).

I'll see if I can find a better fix. Then I need to work out what's going on with the texture pack. Then I can release.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    I apologize in advance for quite possibly a stupid question, but is there any chance of this being added to Oculus Store?
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
    Trinity
    kevink808 said:
    I apologize in advance for quite possibly a stupid question, but is there any chance of this being added to Oculus Store?
    No.
  • baggygbaggyg Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    kevink808 said:
    I used a similar method as the Steam VR link to create myself an icon within Oculus home with custom graphics that launches the game. It works perfectly. Hopefully Oculus will add that feature at some point. 
    Trinity
    edited March 2017
    New Version: Doom 3 BFG VR: Fully Possessed Alpha 021

Here's the new version: https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/pull/110
  • LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    Awesome! Downloading. I see there is a new variable to debug framerate, so what should we do? Keep using com_fixedTic if our machine is beasty enough?

FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
  • baggygbaggyg Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    Saved game update....
    My previous saves were using the "all in one" texture pack (and 012 mod)

Currently Installed -> Vanilla + Alpha 021- Saves now try to load but program crashes pretty much immediately. 
    Reinstalled All in One Texture Pack - Saves now load again perfectly!!!! 

I also had bad performance - I didn't touch com_fixedTic but instead just turned off ASW. Everything silky smooth even on 1.5pd with a GTX 980. 

Thanks very much for your hard work 2EyeGuy! Looking forward to cranking up the settings on a 1080ti in a couple of days