New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Washed out colours in Elite: Dangerous after Oculus Home 1.12 update

sloth77sloth77 Posts: 8
NerveGear
I've been playing E:D on the Rift CV1 for over 6 months and it looked great. I started it today and straight away I noticed that the colours were washed out. What was once black is now an unpleasant dark grey.

This happens regardless of whether I run E:D from Steam or from a separate install in Oculus Home.

I've tried removing the graphic settings in the user profile area but still the effect remains. I've reinstalled the latest NVIDIA driver and this hasn't fixed it. The only thing I can think of that has changed in the last few days is Oculus Home. I've tried reinstalling the Oculus Home but that hasn't help either.

No other games seem to be affected, just E:D. 

Any ideas?

Comments

• flexy123flexy123 Posts: 793
    3Jane
    edited March 2017
    >>
    I've reinstalled the latest NVIDIA driver and this hasn't fixed it.
    >>

Here we go!

You need to unplug your rift from the HDMI port and plug a normal monitor in the same port. Then, with the monitor plugged in, go to NV control panel, click to "Change resolution" --> "Output dynamic range", and change to "Full".

Then re-plug your Rift.

(This is an old and still unsolved annoyance that every new Nvidia drivers install sets the colour range wrong since they assume everything connected to HDMI is a TV, with a limited color range). Once you set the range to full, it should stick, until the next time you install a new Nvidia driver)

(Alternatively, you can skip the entire issue with a DisplayPort/DVI --> HDMI adapter for the Rift.)
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    I've occasionally seen this when the tracking on my rift is flakey due to USB ports being offlined for power saving (stupid windows 10). when it's working as it should, you can replicate the issue by covering the majority of the LED's on the headset so the camera loses tracking.

unplugging and replugging the headset sorts it.
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • JesseDeyaJesseDeya Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 2017
    flexy123 said:
    (This is an old and still unsolved annoyance that every new Nvidia drivers install sets the colour range wrong since they assume everything connected to HDMI is a TV, with a limited color range). Once you set the range to full, it should stick, until the next time you install a new Nvidia driver)

(Alternatively, you can skip the entire issue with a DisplayPort/DVI --> HDMI adapter for the Rift.)
    So if I'm using my Rift with a DP-->HDMI adaptor, but my primary display is a TV via HDMI, how do I make sure I have Full range on both? 

EDIT:
    Well damn, got home and turns out my TV was plugged in via my DP adaptor (and dynamic range was full), but my Rift was plugged into HDMI. Upon plugging my TV into the Rift's HDMI port I could immediately see it was set to Limited!

Glad I read this thread, lord knows how long I've had limited range in my Rift!
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,139
    Wintermute
    I still puzzled by this issue. From all that time I was hoping the Rift could return such information to the NVidia drivers (through EDID) or the NVidia drivers recognize the Rift EDID, and fix this issue...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

Hiro Protagonist
    If someone could reliably figure out which registry entries toggle that info with the newer NVidia drivers (since 347.09), I reckon ApollyonVR could figure how to add it to his Oculus Tray Tool.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,016 Valuable Player
    flexy123 said:
    >>
    I've reinstalled the latest NVIDIA driver and this hasn't fixed it.
    >>

Here we go!

You need to unplug your rift from the HDMI port and plug a normal monitor in the same port. Then, with the monitor plugged in, go to NV control panel, click to "Change resolution" --> "Output dynamic range", and change to "Full".

Then re-plug your Rift.

i never knew this

i think mine is in a adapter most times but i bookmarked this thank you everyone for the infos, i love elite as a vr exp anything that helps is good to know

you all do the hard work so the rest of us can benefit :p
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • TickTockTickTock Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    On my system (NV control panel 8.1.930.0) this was found under Video-->Adjust Video Color Settings and I had to change to "With NVIDEA settings" before I could select "Full (0-255)". 
    @sloth77: you are not alone.  I also lost the low end of the color depth when I updated.  Thanks @flexy123 for the fix (worked for me).
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
     -Groucho Marx
  • firebanefirebane Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    You mean this WHOLE TIME I've been playing everything with limited color settings?!?!  Motherf*#$*@#$%#$%@#
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,016 Valuable Player
    firebane said:
    You mean this WHOLE TIME I've been playing everything with limited color settings?!?!  Motherf*#$*@#$%#$%@#
    Yes

Flexy for El Presidente!!
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    3Jane
    There have been several registry hacks and tools to "solve" this, including claims that later drivers don't have the problem...but all these don't do *****. I made it a habit to plug-in my monitor and set to full now each time I happen to install a new driver. Rest assured, it ALWAYS goes back to "limited" after a new driver, and yes, I am guessing that quite a big number of people run at "limited" without knowing it...
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 736
    3Jane
    Holy flaming suns Commander!!!
    Now that's one hot tip.

• BloodletBloodlet Posts: 736
    3Jane
    kzintzi said:
    I've occasionally seen this when the tracking on my rift is flakey due to USB ports being offlined for power saving (stupid windows 10). when it's working as it should, you can replicate the issue by covering the majority of the LED's on the headset so the camera loses tracking.

@kzintzi
    You know you can disable that power saving option?

Control panel/system and security/Power options/Change plan settings(Blue text)/change advanced power settings{blue text)/usb settings/usb selective suspend/setting ->disable

Apply and close. ;)
  • sloth77sloth77 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    flexy123 said:
    Yeah, I already tried that - twice. I made the change in the resolution page and also in the video settings page and both times with my monitor plugged into the (sole) HDMI port the Rift was using. No dice. Reboot, plug Rift back in and still the contrast is knackered in Elite : Dangerous (and maybe others).
    flexy123 said:
    I have one arriving tomorrow :-P

Although if it is a HDMI issue then why on God's Earth they shipped the Rift with a HDMI connection rather than DP (and DP->HDMI converter) is beyond me.  I'm reasonably technical, but your average Joe isn't going to have a clue and will just assume the Rift image quality is poor.
    3Jane
    edited March 2017
    sloth, did you re-check and it reverts back to "limited"? If yes I have no idea, the setting should actually stick.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Bloodlet said:
    @kzintzi

Control panel/system and security/Power options/Change plan settings(Blue text)/change advanced power settings{blue text)/usb settings/usb selective suspend/setting ->disable

Apply and close. ;)
    Alternatively, use the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) created and distributed right here on these forums by Apollyon64. It'll take care of all that for you, ensure it's applied every boot and does some other handy things too. 

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

NerveGear
    flexy123 said:
    sloth, did you re-check and it reverts back to "limited"? If yes I have no idea, the setting should actually stick.
    If I plugin my monitor on the HDMI port used by the Rift then NVIDIA settings always says "Full", never "Limited". I only have the one monitor though and hot-switching it doesn't work, so I have to reboot before switching cables. Perhaps that is why it isn't working for me, but is for you?

Anyway, with a bit of luck the HDMI->DP cable will do the job.

I've also disabled Windows Update for drivers on Windows 10 as that kept pissing me off too.
    3Jane
    edited March 2017
    AH...not being able to hotswitch MIGHT explain this.

Anyway you CAN try out this tool here:

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/NV_RGBFullRangeToggle.zip

Just out of curiosity. (Run as admin)

NerveGear
    edited March 2017
    Aaaaand fixed!

Deleted the %APPDATA%\Oculus directory (after killing all the Oculus processes). Rebooted and restarted Oculus Home.  Went through the initial setup again, started E:D and lo and behold blacks are blacks and I have my contrast back!

Praise the Lord
    Hiro Protagonist
    Wait, so it was or wasn't related to the 'limited' vs 'full' RGB setting for HDMI?

What was in the Appdata folder that was causing it to revert??
    NerveGear
    edited March 2017
    >Wait, so it was or wasn't related to the 'limited' vs 'full' RGB setting for HDMI?

Dunno to be honest.  Certainly my NVIDIA settings always showed "Full" even when I plugged the monitor into the HDMI port used by the Rift.  But that might be because I couldn't hot-swap the monitor and had to reboot when switching cables.

>What was in the Appdata folder that was causing it to revert??

No idea, I had a quick look but the settings appear to be stored in an SQL database and not human-readable.
    But only after re-running the initial setup (by deleting the %APPDATA%\Oculus) did the full contrast return.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Did that also delete all your game data? Is your Elite Oculus Store or Steam?
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    Bloodlet said:
    kzintzi said:

@kzintzi

Apply and close. ;)
    yeah, it was a while ago when I first got my rift (sorted now) - the first couple of times it had me cursing and crawling under desks and stuff to disconnect everything
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    NerveGear
    edited March 2017
    JesseDeya said:
    Did that also delete all your game data? Is your Elite Oculus Store or Steam?
    My game data got deleted a while back when I reinstalled Oculus Home, and I play E:D from Steam. There is a risk it might delete game data though, although you could always backup the directory before deleting.
  • CogitoSumCogitoSum Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Lucky.  I've done literally everything, including most recently a completely fresh installation of Windows 10.  Elite Dangerous still has terrible colour banding (most notable in the skybox and intro splash screens).
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,139
    Wintermute
    Intro splash screen is a low colors encoded video so you will never have something great here. You can find those video seeking in Elite directories and play them 2D on your monitor and you'll see the problem is "native" ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• CogitoSumCogitoSum Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    The thing is, it doesn't look that bad on my monitor.  I can also remember a time on the DK2 when it didn't look like that (nor did the skybox).  For me, one of the earlier Oculus updates semi broke it (I could fix it by closing and reopening the application a few times), and then eventually completely broke it. 
    3Jane
    It is well possible that the Rift, at some point establishes what color range it should output, if the range (of the display, or what the driver outputs) is limited. If you then change it back to full later via this "trick" it might still use the "incorrect" limited range.

This would explain why it fixed things for the guy who said he deleted the %appdata%\oculus folder. Just speculating, a new Oculus setup would then see the driver outputs "full" and then adjust the Rift accordingly. (In the same way as monitors and TVs have a setting for "TV" or "PC" ranges).