New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

how far apart can sensors be?

reefy86reefy86 Posts: 238
Nexus 6
decorating my living room soon and going to put some usb sockets in the walls right next to the sensors to hide cables. i was going to put the sensors on the arch way which is 8ft wide so the sensors would be 8ft apart would this be fine? also what do you guys use to extend your usb 3's? i brought a 5 meter extender cable but they dont work as anything over 5 meters do not power but im seeing people use 10 meters.

cheers

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    I have 2 in London and the 3rd with Oculus in Eindhoven. Works a treat  :) seriously though, my max is 3 feet apart as I have a tiny.......shut it......play area.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Mines much bigger than techys small southern size.
    Mine are about 8 feet apart at the front and abkut 11 to the rear
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Tis true. Northern people all wear glasses and everything is magnified x 8 ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,949 Volunteer Moderator
    reefy86 said:
    i was going to put the sensors on the arch way which is 8ft wide so the sensors would be 8ft apart would this be fine?
    My sensors range from 8.5 to 11.7 feet apart.

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,995 Valuable Player
    I just use my two sensors on my desktop, they are probably around 3.5 ft apart. I will say I seem to get very good tracking with them.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • TickTockTickTock Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    I have mine on three corners of a 14' square (on the ceiling).  Works pretty well.  Occasionally see minor glitches but don't use them for brain surgery and you'll be fine.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
     -Groucho Marx
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    edited March 2017
    my front 2 are about 12 apart, the back 2 are about 16 ft (front is usually facing left here)

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • Fredd32Fredd32 Posts: 251
    Nexus 6
    I have only 2 at the moment at 12 feet apart and about 7 feet high. Working just fine for me so far. I will be adding a 3rd soon for full 360 though, about 10 ft from my front left sensor should work out nicely I believe for about a 10' × 8' area to run around in.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,277
    3Jane
    It depends if you're setting up for front facing, 360° or room scale VR.

Also if it hasn't changed, Oculus VR recommends using USB2 for the third sensor, so for that one a USB2 extension cable will do, even if you're plugging it into a USB3 port.
  • reefy86reefy86 Posts: 238
    Nexus 6
    thanks guys, my play area is only 8ft x 6ft and yes will be going 360 because im sick of lifting my headset up to see if im still facing the right way when i get too carried away on robo recall lol
  • TickTockTickTock Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    reefy86 said:
    thanks guys, my play area is only 8ft x 6ft and yes will be going 360 because im sick of lifting my headset up to see if im still facing the right way when i get too carried away on robo recall lol
    Until they fix the teleportation bug, you will still have to.  :-(
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
     -Groucho Marx
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,277
    3Jane
    edited March 2017
    The perfect minimum VR space would be around 7ftx7ft, so you have enough space to stretch out your arms (as long as you don't bend over to extend your reach).

So the thing about 360° VS room scale VR, is that in room scale each sensor has to cover the whole VR space, while in 360° you are meant to stay in the center, so each sensor only needs to cover the VR space from the sensor to the middle of the VR space where you're standing (the sensors don't need to see each over), allowing you to create a wider VR space.

What I would do with a 8x6ft VR space (assuming I can't change it into a 7x7ft VR space), is create a 6x6ft space in it, and leave 2ft of empty space preferably between your VR space and your monitor, as a safety margin, specially for guests.

The difference between a 7x7ft and 6x6ft space, is that depending on your arm span you'll have to be more careful not to stretch out your arms to their full length, specially with fast movements such as throwing a ball or thrusting a sword.

In my case I started around 7x6ft, and I swapped out my huge desk for a smaller one to achieve my 7x7ft VR space.

Also as a hint, when playing front facing sensor games you can stand with your back closer to a corner with no camera, so you are then facing both cameras in the right and left corners in front of you. This way you get dual front facing cameras (with more room to stretch out your arms then you need), without having to move or reconfigure your sensors : I use that on games like Dead and Buried to improve the hand tracking and throw dynamite sticks.
  • reefy86reefy86 Posts: 238
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2017
    thank you, as for arms i do have more room like 10x10 as the 8x6 is only because my fireplace has a 2ft harth and then my corner sofa, so its my feet that only has 8x6 but arms have 10x10
  • Fredd32Fredd32 Posts: 251
    Nexus 6
    A trick I have been using to differentiate front and rear is to put make a Wavy line on the rear of the guardian boundaries during setup. This way you can tell wich way you are facing when you see the boundaries pop up (smooth straight line up front and wavy line in rear).