DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017) - Page 28 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017)

Comments

• Aidens12Aidens12 Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    Awesome! looking forward to trying it out

• Thane_Thane_ Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2017
    I feel like i asked this already (maybe on reddit), sorry if i did, but is there any plans to allow two hand holding of weapons? Might help suspend the disbelief a little more, adding to immersion, although maybe not for all.
  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    I don't even have access to the 012 mod, so I can't test.

I'm not actually using com_fixedTic, I'm using com_noSleep. So you should be able to turn com_fixedTic off. com_noSleep works better with low frame rates. Or you can try turning com_fixedTic on if you're still having issues. I modified them both to not interfere with slow motion.

Do you mean using two hands to grip the same weapon? That's not really possible in virtual reality, due to the fact that we can't stop the two hands from moving independently in ways that a physical weapon can't move. But you can place the flashlight on your head or left shoulder using the grip button, then mime holding part of the weapon with that hand. Or do you mean dual wielding a different weapon in each hand?

Here's the reddit thread I posted:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5yjg3r/new_version_of_doom_3_bfg_vr_fully_possessed_021/
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, both hands on one weapon. I think Bullet Train and Onward and some others do this. In Bullet Train, based off the videos i've seen, the front of the gun becomes "attached" to and starts following the other controller when in a specific proximity near a point on the front grip of the gun. Perhaps a toggle would be better. The second frontal grip only effects the direction of the gun, not the rotation i think.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    2EyeGuy said:
    kevink808 said:
    I apologize in advance for quite possibly a stupid question, but is there any chance of this being added to Oculus Store?
    No.
    Well, fuck.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
    Trinity
    kevink808 said:
    2EyeGuy said:
    kevink808 said:
    I apologize in advance for quite possibly a stupid question, but is there any chance of this being added to Oculus Store?
    No.
    Well, fuck.
    Let me put it this way. They just had a half a billion dollar fight over this game, a fight that is still ongoing. Oculus aren't going to touch this with a ten foot pole. And Zenimax certainly aren't going to cooperate.

I'm a bit pissed off at Zenimax myself. I'm going to write to their board of directors and complain about them stealing half a billion dollars from Oculus... I'll just look up now who's on the Zenimax board of directors...  Hmm, that's odd.... um, ah, I guess I won't be complaining after all. ;-)
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    I get it. I don't have the faintest clue how open-source and copyright law works here, but it's just that this is such great work and since it's provided free already, it's a bit of a shame that the mainstream users can't easily access it via Oculus Home.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • CylonSurferCylonSurfer Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    edited March 2017
    I don't honestly think that Home is a place for game mods, its not like they can distribute the full game + mod either. Full games, yes, game mod files - nope.

2EyeGuy
    Great news on the new release - thanks for all of your hard work, it's really appreciated.
  • MajorDogbiteMajorDogbite Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Just got Touch. While trying to set up to move and strafe with the thumbs sticks (not bothered by full motion), I seem to have other settings staying bound. Reset default doesn't seem to work. When I change a bind, the previous ones stay assigned as well.How can I completely clear a command to start fresh?
  • Aidens12Aidens12 Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    Just got Touch. While trying to set up to move and strafe with the thumbs sticks (not bothered by full motion), I seem to have other settings staying bound. Reset default doesn't seem to work. When I change a bind, the previous ones stay assigned as well.How can I completely clear a command to start fresh?
    if im not mistaken in order to clear the bind you have to go through the same process as binding the same key. like if  you wanted to rebind the flashlight from the left trigger to the left grip button, not only do you have to set it to the grip button, but you also have to unbind the left trigger by clicking the left trigger when it prompts you to reset the keybind to take it off
    NerveGear

Thx Adinsx12, will check that out.

• ObihbObihb Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    2EyeGuy Thanks for the update dude, it runs beautifully smooth now out of the box.

About two handed weapons, they work extremely well, as mentioned BulletTrain does it and probably others. I've done my own version in a UE4 project I'm involved with. Basically what happens is, when you grab the front of the weapon with your "free" hand, the hand holding the weapon "looks at" the front hand. You can have the hand model track the front of the weapon to make it look like it's holding it, or just make it disappear to take it out of the equation. I guess in the case of seeing the body, the IK might have to track the front of the weapon.

So at that point your front hand controller is basically just a target for the weapon hand to look at. You can do things like put a tiny bit of lag on there for the feel of it, or whatever. I really don't know what's possible there on Doom engine. I'm not a programmer, in UE4 I just use blueprints to script these features. But it works much better in practice than might sound in concept, considering that you're grabbing air at that point, it still "feels" right.
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 536
    Neo
    I've still got the old 014 alpha installed. Does this mean I have to complete wipe and reload the game again? Not to bothered if it does mean that.
  • F4CEpa1mF4CEpa1m Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    I've still got the old 014 alpha installed. Does this mean I have to complete wipe and reload the game again? Not to bothered if it does mean that.
    I find with these mods it's just a better idea in general to start from scratch.  That way at least, if something does go wrong, you can rule out conflicts with a previous mod straight away
    Art3mis
    Wholly crap @2EyeGuy the fixes are brilliant in the 0.021 update!!  Easily the best Doom 3 VR mod to date imo
    Trinity
    edited March 2017
    F4CEpa1m said:
    Wholly crap @2EyeGuy the fixes are brilliant in the 0.021 update!!  Easily the best Doom 3 VR mod to date imo

Thanks, mate. There's still a bug with saving and then loading a saved game sometimes being unable to find the game. You can fix that with the testSavegameEnumerate console command or by exiting and restarting the program. But most of the changes since the last 015 version you promoted were in 020 and Samson deserves half the credit for them.

@Samson is back! So there's a proper release page now, instead of just a pull request. :)  https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/releases

Show him some love for his hard work making version 020 with all the amazing features and artwork. And version 022 will be by the actual mod creator, rather than just me fixing/adding bugs while he's gone.

EDIT: Here's @F4CEpa1m's video:
    Art3mis
    edited March 2017
    2EyeGuy said:
    F4CEpa1m said:

Thanks, mate. There's still a bug with saving and then loading a saved game sometimes being unable to find the game. You can fix that with the testSavegameEnumerate console command or by exiting and restarting the program. But most of the changes since the last 015 version you promoted were in 020 and Samson deserves half the credit for them.

@Samson is back! So there's a proper release page now, instead of just a pull request. :)  https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/releases

Show him some love for his hard work making version 020 with all the amazing features and artwork. And version 022 will be by the actual mod creator, rather than just me fixing/adding bugs while he's gone.

Mate, the work you've put in is crazy good in the interim, them bugs needed to go and not having to wait until Samson was back is bloody great :)

Looking forward to the next release from the man himself too.  I'll hold off on a full tutorial video until it's out if it includes your fix to sort out the last of the save game bugs without use of the console command.

• LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    We can't thank you guys enough for the awesome work you are doing... hats off!!
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
  • AlxsAlxs Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited March 2017
    When samson talks about installing the "hi-def texture pack" in the first post, is he talking about the All in one + Ultimate HD pack
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5e1cbp/allinone_doom_3_bfg_vr_mod_texture_pack_guide/)
    or the Hi Def pack
    (http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-bfg-hi-def)? Because I tried installing the Hi Def pack and the game crashes when loading a level.

Also, is there a way to show the screen on my monitor at fullscreen (if someone wants to see me playing)?
  • AlxsAlxs Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Just a tip if anyone encounters that problem, I had major performance problems with a gtx 1080. I turned off the soft shadows and it runs at a fixed 90fps now (do not activate that option!..).
    NerveGear

Help-no sound.

I did a clean install for 021 and now I can't get sound. Steam not running. Game detects my mic commands, but doesn't play back audio on my external speakers. I have sound if I launch in Steam (non-vr). Also, is there a way to back up my control settings between updates?

• SamsonSamson Posts: 129
    Art3mis

Help-no sound.

I did a clean install for 021 and now I can't get sound. Steam not running. Game detects my mic commands, but doesn't play back audio on my external speakers. I have sound if I launch in Steam (non-vr). Also, is there a way to back up my control settings between updates?

What headset are you using?

If you are using a rift, and want to use external speakers instead of the rift headphones, open the console ( press ~ to open console ) and type vr_forceOculusAudio 0 <enter>.  By default, if using a Rift, the game searches for and selects the Rift audio device as the audio output.  You will need to restart the game after changing this value. If you set this to 0 and are using a rift, the game will use whatever audio device is set as the windows default device. If you wont want to use the windows default device, follow the instructions below to manually select an audio device.

If using OpenVR, when the game launches it will select whatever audio device is set as the windows default.
    If you want to change this, try this:

From the console ( ~ in game to open console ) , type listDevices  < enter > this will list all detected audio playback devices. Take note of the number of the audio device you want to use.

Then set cvar s_device to select an audio device from this list. You will need to restart the game after changing the audio device.

NerveGear

Thanks Samson console command worked great. I was kinda fooled as when running 020 the audio just worked as long as Steam was closed. Great work on this , where can I donate to support all the hard work and great help?

Art3mis
    edited March 2017
    I appreciate the offer, but I'm not accepting any donations for this.   I'm not sure if 2EyeGuy has any donation links, you may want to check with him, he did a ton in the last two releases. ( @2EyeGuy, any links for donations?)
  • Odyssey_66Odyssey_66 Posts: 5
    NerveGear

I'd like to thank both Samson & 2EyeGuy for this incredible work. I just got aboard the VR train and within a week of experimenting, this VR mod alone has me optimistic for what the future with VR may bring us. Even with the slight oddities and quirks, the feeling of presence is astonishing. The use of the flashlight, gun and PDA are beautifully done. I spent 10 minutes viewing my characters movement in front of the bathroom mirror.....lol.

I find it ironic that Doom 3 BFG was never developed with VR in mind and yet it's the most compelling VR experience when comparing to software made for VR. This mod should be used as a template to build future full length games. Just curious, will any of this code be used for other ID games or is it possible to run mods within Doom 3?

Once again, brilliant work guys and thank you much!!!!!!!

NerveGear
    I totally agree. This is a great example of what game developers should be working to for first person shooter control options. I turned on godmode to tweak my Touch setup and the game still scared the crap out of me. What a VR joy this mod is.
    Trinity

I find it ironic that Doom 3 BFG was never developed with VR in mind and yet it's the most compelling VR experience when comparing to software made for VR. This mod should be used as a template to build future full length games. Just curious, will any of this code be used for other ID games or is it possible to run mods within Doom 3?

Software made for VR is made for a much smaller audience and therefore much lower budget. This was a full AAA game.

It should be possible to apply this code to other iD games. I think there's still some code originally from Wolfenstein that's unchanged in Doom 3 BFG. But it would still be significant work. The other iD Software games that are open source are: Doom 3 (non-BFG), Doom 1 & 2, Doom. Quake 1, Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena, Wolfenstein 3D & Spear of Destiny, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

Quake 4 is based on the Doom 3 Engine, and half the source code is available from the SDK, so it might be possible to support it, or at least get it partly working.

It's not possible to run traditional Doom 3 mods with BFG Edition yet, but I've started work on supporting them.
    Nexus 6
    I believe Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay was possibly the first game to use the Doom 3 engine as a 3rd party. Do you think there is any chance of bringing that over? No source code for that one i don't think.

Downsider, who made the Penumbra VR mod, said somewhere in this reddit post that the source code wasn't exactly necessary for him to get a game to work in VR, that he was good at reverse engineering code or something like that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5f2bf6/penumbra_vr_released_with_trackpad_movement_the/

Heres an interesting list you may already know about: games with source code release:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_video_games_with_available_source_code

Seeing as companies could certainly charge $10 or $20 or even more for a VR DLC or edition of their games, I wonder if the only thing stopping them from doing so is other projects and lack of time in general. You guys probably already have good jobs already, but i keep wondering how viable starting a business whos service was making VR editions of standard games to whatever spec they wanted. I tweeted Trine devs asking about a vr edition for example, and they said they were too busy at the moment. Just talking out loud. I just wonder if a pro team of programmers knocked on some doors of major developers, they might say, SURE! Chronicles of Riddick is owned by Starbreeze for example, who knows, they might be super enthusiastic,..

Stranger things have happened, remember "Jammer" working on Falcon 4.0?
    Art3mis
    I've caught myself eyeballing the RTCW code pretty hard a few times..

• RABIDRABID Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    2EyeGuy said:

Software made for VR is made for a much smaller audience and therefore much lower budget. This was a full AAA game.

It should be possible to apply this code to other iD games. I think there's still some code originally from Wolfenstein that's unchanged in Doom 3 BFG. But it would still be significant work. The other iD Software games that are open source are: Doom 3 (non-BFG), Doom 1 & 2, Doom. Quake 1, Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena, Wolfenstein 3D & Spear of Destiny, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

Quake 4 is based on the Doom 3 Engine, and half the source code is available from the SDK, so it might be possible to support it, or at least get it partly working.

It's not possible to run traditional Doom 3 mods with BFG Edition yet, but I've started work on supporting them.
    quake 4 would be amazing!!!!!!!!