Oculus in Linux — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus in Linux

emmavpetemmavpet Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hi people,
I need support for Oculus over Linux !!! I believe that Oculus must have support not only for Windows system. We are a group of investigation making a project over Linux using ROS libraries.
The VR is not only for games, is the future in investigation projects.
If someone have make something in Linux can help me?
Best Regards

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Unfortunately, Rift is only supporting Windows OS at this time. It seems some people in the community have attempted to add Linux support themselves, but I haven't done enough research to know if any of the code is usable right now. Sorry I can't bring better news.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • assettomioassettomio Posts: 413
    Nexus 6
    I was wondering about that, oculus home app is based off of chromium isnt it? And the home vr app is made in unity, all that would be left are the drivers arent it? I mean unity can build for linux, not taking into consideration game support, which would probably suck
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,416 Valuable Player
    Mmm just because it can be ported doesn't mean it will always work. They might be using some os commands that would to have converted. Not saying it isn't possible just a bit more work to make it work before you even touch the drivers as well. 
    Nexus 6
    And how about that in combination with a wine like solution then? Or is that too farfetched?
  • emmavpetemmavpet Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Thanks, for your answers!
    The problem is that there is not drivers for Oculus in Linux. I tried wine, steamVR project and some things more, but nothing ...

• vrmowervrmower Posts: 181
    Art3mis
    emmavpet said:
    Hi people,
    I need support for Oculus over Linux !!! I believe that Oculus must have support not only for Windows system. We are a group of investigation making a project over Linux using ROS libraries.
    Best Regards
    Competing HMD to Oculus the HTC Vive is actively working on Linux support.  You might look into this platform in lieu of Rift.
  • emmavpetemmavpet Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited March 2017
    vrmower said:
    emmavpet said:
    Hi people,
    Best Regards
    Competing HMD to Oculus the HTC Vive is actively working on Linux support.  You might look into this platform in lieu of Rift.
    Thanks, but the problem is that yesterday I made proves with OpenHDM and my Ubuntu "died". Also if you read in "http://openhmd.net/": Oculus Rift CV1 (rotation only, git version only).

Nexus 6
    edited March 2017
    emmavpet said:
    vrmower said:
    emmavpet said:
    Hi people,
    Best Regards
    Thanks, but the problem is that yesterday I made proves with OpenHDM and my Ubuntu "died". Also if you read in "http://openhmd.net/": Oculus Rift CV1 (rotation only, git version only).

It died? Good then you can switch to debian.
    I just meant like for people trying to develope it, maybe it's possible to have some parts that they cannot get running on linux, maybe it's possible to make wine run it, I don't know.. it's technically possible, also for Oculus I meant, because they could build the home environment for linux when exporting it in unity I think, and home gui is built on chromium, so that leaves just the background/technical stuff I guess
  • RavenBlueFeatherRavenBlueFeather Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    works fine in Linux using whine  but with the currsenscer issue you srill need to roll back your clock/date to play
  • stevelee123stevelee123 Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2018
    damnit i was nearly free.
    downloaded linuxmint 18.3 and was about to install it.
    very disappointed that Oculus dropped linux development as soon as Facebook bought it. 
    OpenHMD seem to have support but....It seems very complicated. and positional tracking isn't supported. 
    (I started back when PCDOS 3.1 was released but i have little experience of Linux or SUDO)
    I might humour the headache but without positional tracking there seems little point.
    gutted, going to have to reinstall windows instead. then spend a month turning all the telemetry off without screwing up the updates. sigh
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 901
    3Jane
    @stevelee123 - Spybot Anti-beacon is your friend :)  goodbye telemetry...
    Or you could spend some time with gpedit.msc if you have W10 Pro (or W7 Pro) if you don't trust Spybot. (I'm a nerd and did both!)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    The problem you guys are not seeing as well for this is that fact they will have to "support it" meaning they will need to find people that know how to program for it and to troubleshoot any problems with it. We still having problems with just windows being windows let alone for a niche group in how much that will cost to really be worth it. I just mean look at the bigger picture as well when talking about support a whole new OS. Not saying it isn't possible - anything and everything is usually possible - but the time factor to make that happen can cost billions and unless people want to pay a higher cost - it just comes down to time and willingness to make it happen for the given pot of money.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,627 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    Since folks keep asking for Rift support on the fringe of fringe Operating Systems that the smallest of a minority use I have this question to put forth.

When can I expect DOS based support all I want to do with my new system is use the Rift.

I mean why bother with using what everyone else uses when I can be real cool and type a command prompt run oculus?

If were going hypster lets do it right!
    WAAAGH!
  • stevelee123stevelee123 Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2018
    Morgrum said:
    Since folks keep asking for Rift support on the fringe of fringe Operating Systems that the smallest of a minority use
    Are you having a laugh?
    This isn't 1999, Linux is not a fringe O/S
    Most of the expertise out there demands an adept understanding of Linux
    Even Microsoft are using it to run their Cloud tech.
    It's superior to Windows in so many ways. I only wish i got into it a decade ago.
    You don't need to rely on command lines anymore, it entirely depends on which version you install.
    Do some research before you assert your muppet humour.

The reason i expressed concern over the command line interface is because it seems that OpenHMD has to emulate Windows architecture to succeed. Which probably involves a basic understanding of Linux command protocols.
    If support was native, there'd be absolutely nothing to fear and positional tracking would be possible.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,627 Valuable Player
    Linex is a fringe operating system.
    It is great for specific task but it is used by a tiny percentage of the PC population as a working system.
    WAAAGH!
    3Jane
    edited May 2018
    Morgrum said:
    It is great for specific task but it is used by a tiny percentage of the PC population as a working system.
    Interesting comment, where did you source the information, I'd like to be appraised of just how tiny a percentage it truly is  ;)

But then, maybe I've always been on the fringe since the 1970's when I started my career in IT.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

• TobiasFPTobiasFP Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Mradr said:
    The problem you guys are not seeing as well for this is that fact they will have to "support it" meaning they will need to find people that know how to program for it and to troubleshoot any problems with it. We still having problems with just windows being windows let alone for a niche group in how much that will cost to really be worth it. I just mean look at the bigger picture as well when talking about support a whole new OS. Not saying it isn't possible - anything and everything is usually possible - but the time factor to make that happen can cost billions and unless people want to pay a higher cost - it just comes down to time and willingness to make it happen for the given pot of money.
    Yeah, except the problem you are completely missing is the fact that Oculus promised Linux support. This led to people (like myself) to buy the developer editions of oculus, which is now unusable. If they had never promised Linux support, then no problem, but since they did, the Linux community is in it's right to be pissed.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,792 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018
    RattyUK said:
    Morgrum said:
    Interesting comment, where did you source the information, I'd like to be appraised of just how tiny a percentage it truly is  ;)

But then, maybe I've always been on the fringe since the 1970's when I started my career in IT.

It's just one analysis of the market share but i doubt you'll find much difference elsewhere.  It's a long read - help yourself.  I was a UNIX administrator a few years ago.  Even i know that Windows is THE  (yeah bruh, caps, bold and italics) OS of choice for the PC world - kid yourself all you want though.

"Also, in May, user share for Apple's macOS fell by two-tenths of a percentage point, to 9%, after climbing almost that same amount in April. Linux, whose loyalists have perennially touted the open-source OS as the cure to the world's ills, recorded a one-tenth percentage point boost in May, returning to the plus side of 2% after two months below that bar."

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3199373/windows-pcs/windows-by-the-numbers-sanity-returns-as-windows-7-sheds-user-share.html
    3Jane
    Without any doubt Windows holds, and will hold for the forseeable future, the market share by a massive majority, I never attempted to make out otherwise.

I'm not even sure that 2% (that is 1 in 50) is accurate and would have placed desktop useage somewhat lower. I am not one of the linux evangelists so feel no need to 'big' the OS up, I just use it, and Windows, they are both tools at the end of the day.

edited June 2018
    TobiasFP said:
    Mradr said:
    Yeah, except the problem you are completely missing is the fact that Oculus promised Linux support. This led to people (like myself) to buy the developer editions of oculus, which is now unusable. If they had never promised Linux support, then no problem, but since they did, the Linux community is in it's right to be pissed.
    Not really - of the people that did buy it for linux - that would only count for .1% - it's not going to make or break their company to not support it in the first place. Right now it's on pause so they can focus on the over all picture than a OS that doesn't count for a mer 5% of the user base that runs any customer level software in the first place right now. Of that - only about 1% can even run VR titles base off hardware from STEAM. This whole thread is about bitching to bitch - there is no bases that holds enough water to warrants a full on drop support. Base off that - you would be wiser to support IOS, Mac, and Android before worrying about Linux sadly. Not that I am being rude to anyone here - it's just a common fact base off the numbers that we see. Once they get the go a head for Apple programing - it wont be as hard to start supporting more Linux base customers - but that will be a while and even then that will be a while (yes double up). 
  • skraaglenaxskraaglenax Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This is a chicken/egg problem. Not enough people use linux because products like Oculus don't support it, and Oculus doesn't support linux because not enough people use linux. A sad, misguided, vicious cycle. I'd love to see linux support added, then I would have a chance to develop VR applications on an OS that isn't windows.
  • MadScientist_42MadScientist_42 Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Mradr said:

Considering that their CTO knows of, worked with on UtahGLX, someone that is quite skilled at doing just that (*waves hand*)- that he could've hired in a heartbeat...  No...not buying that BS, to be brutally blunt.
    Brain Burst
    TobiasFP said:
    Mradr said:
    They're semi-unusuable.  I know that sounds odd, but let me explain a bit here of the current state of affairs...

OpenHMD has many of the bits and bobs working, but you need direct-to-display support for it to work cleanly.  This only landed within the last year.  Right now you're waiting for the OpenXR API to gel, actually, to get proper support in spite of Oculus' attitude, etc. because while they have the piece parts in hand to make the magic happen, including the Vulkan (which is where most of it went for VR anyhow...) driver support on NVidia and AMD "being right".

We're really waiting on the OpenXR working group to finalize the spec more than anything else.  Unless someone wants to take the success at the beginning of the year with the optical sensors for distance, etc. and do sensor fusion work with the rotation sensor set from off of what OpenHMD has in hand, that is.  From there, it's another moderate but doable effort to do Touch support.  They have all the pieces but it makes more sense from the OpenHMD team's perspective to do this work ONCE with an OpenXR compliant API instead of implementing it twice.  It's expected that the OpenXR spec is out "soon" from one of the participants, the main dev for OpenHMD, whom I had conversations with on another project's discussion group where we're sharing that common cause.  (SpinalHDL)

The big bitch *I* have with all of this is that Facebook uses Linux extensively in their stuff...why are you clowns not helping?  It'd be easy enough for them to help finalize all of this (even with the understanding you have an Okie guarantee with this- if it breaks you get both pieces...) and keep their damn promises (as this would work mostly for even OSX with the Vulkan bolt-on for Metal...)- but they're not going there. 
    Brain Burst
    Morgrum said:

Hm...

Fringe.

Runs the servers of the parent company.
    Runs the servers of Google.
    Runs many of the servers at Microsoft of all things.
    Runs at the heart of every Android phone in existence.
    Runs at the heart of most of the "Smart TV's " in existence (Tizen, etc. are largely all Linux Foundation Yocto derivatives)
    Runs on any architechture you speak of, even RISC-V, hardware with sufficient resources to run it.|
    Runs on most of Cisco's and other's Routers and switches.

Hm...  Fringe.   Riiiight.

No, not going to upsell it...it's just I can't stand Windows fanboys that LIE about their crap and have to trash talk things.  And before any idiot remarks, I've seen or helped implent much of that I speak to there.  Keep your bullshit to yourselves, k?

• AntiCMOSAntiCMOS Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited August 13
    Head's up folks, Valve delivered!!! The Valve Index supports Linux out of the box. No more platform specific hardware in the VR world. I'm selling my Oculus (thankfully the games on their store all sucked and I didn't buy many) and going with the Index that supports multiple OSes. Seems that even Proton (SteamPlay) compatibility works with it. VR, for me, was the last low hanging fruit to keep me from 100% Linux environment, but with VR being little more than a novelty and Elite Dangerous being the ONLY VR game I gave a crap about, it was a very low priority. Now though I have every computer in my house (about 16) running Linux, most on CentOS (servers) and my four Desktops on Ubuntu with 90% of my games working as if I was in Windows. It feels great to run a OS that doesn't randomly install software and give you ads all the time, plus very low risk of virus infections, only about a half dozen viruses ever existed on Linux and they don't work anymore as the bugs they exploited were all patched years ago. For those of you that aren't sheep and can think for themselves I recommend you give it a try, see if you cannot get use to it and make the move. Linux will never be a paid subscription like Microsoft is moving to also.... and now I'm off to finish configuring my Xeon Phi, 288 logical Processors 1 PC! ;)

-With love from the Linux world