cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus in Linux

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi people,
I need support for Oculus over Linux !!! I believe that Oculus must have support not only for Windows system. We are a group of investigation making a project over Linux using ROS libraries.
The VR is not only for games, is the future in investigation projects.
If someone have make something in Linux can help me?
Best Regards
25 REPLIES 25

cybereality
Grand Champion
Unfortunately, Rift is only supporting Windows OS at this time. It seems some people in the community have attempted to add Linux support themselves, but I haven't done enough research to know if any of the code is usable right now. Sorry I can't bring better news.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

assettomio
Adventurer
I was wondering about that, oculus home app is based off of chromium isnt it? And the home vr app is made in unity, all that would be left are the drivers arent it? I mean unity can build for linux, not taking into consideration game support, which would probably suck

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mmm just because it can be ported doesn't mean it will always work. They might be using some os commands that would to have converted. Not saying it isn't possible just a bit more work to make it work before you even touch the drivers as well. 

assettomio
Adventurer
And how about that in combination with a wine like solution then? Or is that too farfetched?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, for your answers!
The problem is that there is not drivers for Oculus in Linux. I tried wine, steamVR project and some things more, but nothing ...

vrmower
Heroic Explorer

emmavpet said:

Hi people,
I need support for Oculus over Linux !!! I believe that Oculus must have support not only for Windows system. We are a group of investigation making a project over Linux using ROS libraries.
Best Regards

Competing HMD to Oculus the HTC Vive is actively working on Linux support.  You might look into this platform in lieu of Rift.

Anonymous
Not applicable

vrmower said:

emmavpet said:

Hi people,
Best Regards

Competing HMD to Oculus the HTC Vive is actively working on Linux support.  You might look into this platform in lieu of Rift.

Thanks, but the problem is that yesterday I made proves with OpenHDM and my Ubuntu "died". Also if you read in "http://openhmd.net/": Oculus Rift CV1 (rotation only, git version only).

assettomio
Adventurer

emmavpet said:

vrmower said:

emmavpet said:

Hi people,
Best Regards

Thanks, but the problem is that yesterday I made proves with OpenHDM and my Ubuntu "died". Also if you read in "http://openhmd.net/": Oculus Rift CV1 (rotation only, git version only).

It died? Good then you can switch to debian.
I just meant like for people trying to develope it, maybe it's possible to have some parts that they cannot get running on linux, maybe it's possible to make wine run it, I don't know.. it's technically possible, also for Oculus I meant, because they could build the home environment for linux when exporting it in unity I think, and home gui is built on chromium, so that leaves just the background/technical stuff I guess

RavenBlueFeathe
Protege
works fine in Linux using whine  but with the currsenscer issue you srill need to roll back your clock/date to play
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?