cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P3nT's sketchbook

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Figured I'm hardly qualified for the "First Sculpts" thread any more and, tbh, I kinda like that being for first sculpts so I figured I might as well make my own sketchbook vanity thread like they seem to do everywhere else that 3d modelling and forums collide.

I'll post my crap in here. You guys can look at it and chuckle and hopefully start your own thread so's I don't feel like I'm the only attention whore in the place!

as4uv65urvj7.jpg

o0vb8h3zl0we.jpg

uvpzyuic3ltu.jpg

oam6w68jl539.jpg

835 REPLIES 835

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Thanks @FrozenPea A lot of jigsaw pieces fell into place for me watching that livestream. Enough that I feel like I'm now ready to start exploring fine detail, creases and wrinkles and whatnot. Seems to make a massive difference when you start breaking up those smooth primary and secondary forms.

Another thing that struck me was how Gio set the specular half way up on his material. I've been turning it all the way down for sculpting cos it was confusing me, then tweaking it up at the end when painting and getting sketchy as hell results most of the time. This way actually makes it much clearer now that I've sussed out how it works. Like designing the surface, around how the light bounces off it instead of independently then trying to make it all fit at the end.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
And a cycles render. 
147pqm3ed66f.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
94bnn9ozjdfu.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Had an idea for a custom stamp to do plate mail for a dwarf's armour. First I needed a suitable dwarf...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7r9xDKiipg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Copyright mafia blocked the soundtrack for this one so you'll just have to imagine some music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOxI-Nu6q3Y

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Work continues on fearsome midget. Pretty stoked wi the way the eyes came out on this one
0377uuxrgpda.jpg

loxpyt0n9h5v.jpg

cybernettr
Superstar
Your stuff gives me nightmares. The atmospheric lighting really makes it. Anyone know of a good beginning lighting video for novices?

monstersandmachines
Heroic Explorer
The dwarf looks amazing! I missed that stream they had on Thursday. I like the results you're getting from cycles. Any chance can you briefly share your work flow for bringing Medium sculpts into Blender for Cycles rendering?

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@chuckleone I have a pretty straightforward pipeline from medium to blender.

1) export from Medium. Preserve layers by hiding them all and then making them visible one at a time and export each

2) for each layer exported rename the [your sculpt].obj file to something more appropriate (sculpt.head, sculpt.beard, etc...) You need to rename between exports otherwise medium will overwrite [your sculpt].obj with the last layer you export

3) drag all the .obj's into meshlab, select each one individually and apply filters->cleaning and repairing->merge close vertices then File->export mesh as Choose Collada .dae

4) import into blender and turn on cycles render. For each object add a new material then from the nodes menu Add->Input->Vertex Colors->shape0-lib-vcolor and hook that up to the input on your BSDF

That'll give you base materials with the vertex colour hooked up. After that you're on your own, I'm pretty clueless with blender 🙂