cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P3nT's sketchbook

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Figured I'm hardly qualified for the "First Sculpts" thread any more and, tbh, I kinda like that being for first sculpts so I figured I might as well make my own sketchbook vanity thread like they seem to do everywhere else that 3d modelling and forums collide.

I'll post my crap in here. You guys can look at it and chuckle and hopefully start your own thread so's I don't feel like I'm the only attention whore in the place!

as4uv65urvj7.jpg

o0vb8h3zl0we.jpg

uvpzyuic3ltu.jpg

oam6w68jl539.jpg

835 REPLIES 835

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@cybernettr - I did a tutorial on 3-point lighting here it's a workaround for Medium but 3-point lighting is a basic lighting technique that applies to any rendering engine. Google it for an explanation 😉

monstersandmachines
Heroic Explorer

P3nT4gR4m said:

@chuckleone I have a pretty straightforward pipeline from medium to blender.

1) export from blender. Preserve layers by hiding them all and then making them visible one at a time and export each

2) for each layer exported rename the [your sculpt].obj file to something more appropriate (sculpt.head, sculpt.beard, etc...) You need to rename between exports otherwise medium will overwrite [your sculpt].obj with the last layer you export

3) drag all the .obj's into meshlab, select each one individually and apply filters->cleaning and repairing->merge close vertices then File->export mesh as Choose Collada .dae

4) import into blender and turn on cycles render. For each object add a new material then from the nodes menu Add->Input->Vertex Colors->shape0-lib-vcolor and hook that up to the input on your BSDF

That'll give you base materials with the vertex colour hooked up. After that you're on your own, I'm pretty clueless with blender 🙂

Thank you! Ill give it a try and post my results. Cheers 🙂

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@chuckleone I made a mistake with those instructions. Step 1 should be export from Medium, not export from blender. Blame too many late nights and not enough coffee  🙂

Monstaah
Heroic Explorer
Awesome stuff dude!! really enjoy watching your vids by the way, hope they keep comin', and thanks for the blender instructions above..
PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
oooh it even has lights!! 😃

monstersandmachines
Heroic Explorer

P3nT4gR4m said:

@chuckleone I made a mistake with those instructions. Step 1 should be export from Medium, not export from blender. Blame too many late nights and not enough coffee  🙂

Thanks for clarifying. I figured as much...no biggie. I'm going to give this a try tonight. I've only worked with .obj files with blender so I unfamiliar with Callada. Will that file format keep my colors intact from Medium when brought over to blender? Some of the .obj files I've brought in lost all of the paint work i did in medium and that was a lot of work that I'd rather not have to do over since it's considerably easier in VR.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@chuckleone - aye collada format includes vertex colour, that's what step 4 does - hooks the vertex data into your shader setup.

The reason it doesn't work with .obj's, afaik, is cos vertex colour isn't part of the standard .obj file format. Apparently Medium gets round this by using a non-standard file format. Blender will have none of it.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

Monstaah said:

Awesome stuff dude!! really enjoy watching your vids by the way, hope they keep comin', and thanks for the blender instructions above..
Thanks man. Plenty more to come, can't see me getting bored with this anytime soon.

monstersandmachines
Heroic Explorer

P3nT4gR4m said:

@chuckleone - aye collada format includes vertex colour, that's what step 4 does - hooks the vertex data into your shader setup.

The reason it doesn't work with .obj's, afaik, is cos vertex colour isn't part of the standard .obj file format. Apparently Medium gets round this by using a non-standard file format. Blender will have none of it.

Thank you for the help. I followed your steps using a previously exported sculpt (all layers in 1 .obj file) and the color data carried over. I then exported each layer individually, renaming them but when I brought them into Meshlab, the objects were all out of alignment. I'm not really sure what happened. Trying to align them in blender was pretty impossible so I'm going to have to try and fix the alignment in Meshlab. 

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

P3nT4gR4m said:

Thank you for the help. I followed your steps using a previously exported sculpt (all layers in 1 .obj file) and the color data carried over. I then exported each layer individually, renaming them but when I brought them into Meshlab, the objects were all out of alignment. I'm not really sure what happened. Trying to align them in blender was pretty impossible so I'm going to have to try and fix the alignment in Meshlab. 

I've run into this when I started exporting multiple layers. I think it exports to world axis and if you rotate the sculpt then the next layer you export will be out of alignment. When you're exporting touch nothing except the layers panel and you should be sweet.

monstersandmachines
Heroic Explorer
I'll try re-exporting and see how it goes. Thanks!