New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Good firewall and antivirus for gaming?

RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,869 Valuable Player
Does anyone know of a good firewall and antivirus for gaming? Something thats good and doesn't slow you system down like Norton does. I used to use Comodo for Windows 10, but I think it might be causing windows 10 problems and Ive done a fresh install of Windows 10 now. Whats the b est ones for gamming without problems right now? Cheers!

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,997 Valuable Player
    I personally just use the Defender program included with Windows 10.
    For my games, I have exclusions set for them in Defender settings so as to not increase load time for the game.

I routinely scan my system also once a week with Malwarebytes free version to make sure no unwanted malicious malware got through any web browsing.

I find the above for me - included with practicing " safe hex", has been trouble free.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,879 Valuable Player
    The most important thing when it comes to security and the internet is you - you and your surfing.

I've only used Microsoft Security Essentials and the now Defender, built in since the Windows 7 days.

If i suspect i have any issues, like @dburne said, i use Malwarebytes - i usually install it, scan/clean, uninstall.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,869 Valuable Player
    @andyring - Im not sure what you mean by exclusions in windows defender? Ive never had to mess about with anything in Windows defender. Nothing ever pops up or anything to suggest I do something with Windows defender. 
    lovethis said:
    @andyring - Im not sure what you mean by exclusions in windows defender? Ive never had to mess about with anything in Windows defender. Nothing ever pops up or anything to suggest I do something with Windows defender. 
    @lovethis - i haven't said exclusions anywhere?
    Sorry, I cant find my glasses so the text is a little blurry for me and Ive been up all night reinstalling Windows LOL. My heads like a shed.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,997 Valuable Player
    You will find exclusions in the Defender settings tab ( upper right ).

From there you can browse to any games/apps you would like to exlude, to prevent Defender scanning them when opened each time. I exclude my most commonly played games - have not really compared if any difference or not, some have said it may help in the game's loading times.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    Never had a problem with Windows Defender in Win 10.  Been great.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • reddeath360reddeath360 Posts: 342
    Art3mis
    windows defender is all I use for everything not just gaming been for years now
  • GATOxVoSGATOxVoS Posts: 440
    Trinity
    I rely on windows for most things, but also implement "Zone Alarm Firewall," the free version, to control what connects to the internet on my computer. Program asks me every time if I would like the outgoing/incoming connection to happen, as well as any new program that's asking to read/write files and write to registry, and I get to say yes or no.
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
    16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    850W Corsair HX850 PSU
    4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Zone alarm.
    Not thought of that since windows xp
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • xWandererxxWandererx Posts: 386
    Trinity
    N01 windows defender sux!  personally ive used Comodo for years and Never had a problem with it win 7 & 10 - Forget win 8 - what a failure lol
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Definitely not McAfee and it conflicts with Oculus. I've had good luck with Avast and it seems to have no issue with Oculus. MalwareBytes is also quality. Both are fairly light on resources.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    N01 windows defender sux!  personally ive used Comodo for years and Never had a problem with it win 7 & 10 - Forget win 8 - what a failure lol
    Comodo lol
    edited March 2017
    Why you lol at Comodo is it that bad?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I used to use Comodo but it can be really intrusive at times and more annoying than anything. I'd recommend using Avast and MalwareBytes. They both have free versions but if you pay you can get real-time monitoring, which is worth the price.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Fredd32Fredd32 Posts: 251
    Nexus 6
    I use Bitdefender and love it. You never even know it's there unless you need it.
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 729
    Trinity
    None, I run windopws 10 defender lightly, turned most of the resource hogging junk off.  Then every once in a while ill run malewarebytes and maybe ccleaner.  Those alone have been amazing for years 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,152 Volunteer Moderator
    I get by with Windows Defender. If I ever suspect anything has gotten onto my PC, I do a manual scan with Malwarebytes. That's a pretty rare event, though--it's been years since I've had any problems. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • SadGamerDadSadGamerDad Posts: 327
    Trinity
    I'm using latest greatest Malwarebytes Premium.. seems to be ok. 
  • M0rdreshM0rdresh Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I recommend Bitdefender Internet Security 2017. It has an autopilot that basically stops all the annoying messages and is doing it's thing in utter silence. It also has a game mode, one time enables, that automatically respects games and does not interfere. PCGAMER did a recent test of Antivirus programs and this came out top on the list.