cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revisit the price

kongking
Explorer
We get a miraculous tech for a few hundred bucks. VR is not new anymore. Why a bunch of plastic with years old electronics costs 600 $?

Yes. It's a troll post. But with right cause - there are millions of people who have put the whole VR  thing on hold. The graphics performance is literally available with PCs, consoles with mediocre GPUs right now. Why still 600.-? Just drop it, 300.- and you see 10x increase of the user base. No one looses anything. Everyone wins. Everyone meaning who considers the gains for their money realistically. Remember Gmail with their 15gb space? Whoever does this first for VR will win. Maybe Oculus.
69 REPLIES 69

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
@ the $800 price point, they were trying to make money off the Rift and recoup development costs.

@ $600, they're trying to make a little money on the Rift, probably much less recoup for development time. Trying to get it out to more people and compete with HTC Vive price.

@ $300, they'd be losing money.

Just because the physical product itself doesn't contain $600-$800 worth of materials, doesn't necessarily mean the value is lost. For the "latest" tech, the high initial price point reflects much of the time and effort of the developers to get the product to you. You have to realize that this is a product that was in development for a long time, and all that time, the company did not have a product to sell to recoup the development costs of this one.

Maybe once the next CV of the Rift hits, the CV1 will drop to $400 or something, but at that price, it would be to move units out of their storage warehouses, not necessarily make money off of it.

PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

kongking said:

99% of people thinks - 600.- for a thing that gets a fraction of my time.. nah
Its not a luxury item. Its plain old soldering and boiling some plastics. A screen. Lenses. A box. All bot-work. Just multiply. No vanity either. Nothing like that. It's a tool. And I'm not attacking Oculus. It's the hype. It has died off. 200.- cut is not doing it. 300.- for the final product (with better screen if you can) and we are there with you. No fans, normal people.

Even 300 was too much for you if i remember rightly...

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/305431#Comment_305431
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

reefy86
Adventurer
im happy paying £550 for the headset £189 for controllers and £60 for 3rd sensor. a little peed of with the price drop but ah well. im happy with the price as it makes my friends think im rich as they cant afford it :smile:

kongking
Explorer
I am not poor. The whole point for bashing that 600,- -- there are WAY better entertainment goodies to purchase. For 600.- i can go to a race track each day during the summer. Have a blast. Real blast.  Can buy 10 awesome pc games... etc. Go have a vacation in a ski resort. 3 times.

I have been a fan for VR-related stuff and  spent time thinking about getting the rig and spend some cash. Yet, it's not reasonable. And literally 0 of my friends (who work and are not poor) has ever considered spending money on VR. The reason is the same - there is a contest for consumers quality-time. VR is not participating. Thinks it's above all that or something. Well. Carry on. See you next year maybe:) 

Ultralow36
Explorer
JUST PICKED UP THE RIFT AND TOUCH COMBO LAST week best time I have had playing games in years...600.00 bucks well spent...robo recall,raw data,the climb,and Arizona sunshine.....and VR sports.....loving them

nalex66
MVP
MVP
The racetrack? Really? REALLY?? You think blowing $600 to watch your horses lose all summer is a better use of your money than a high-end cutting-edge VR headset? Pfft, it's your money, go do what you like.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kevink808
Superstar

kongking said:

I am not poor. The whole point for bashing that 600,- -- there are WAY better entertainment goodies to purchase. For 600.- i can go to a race track each day during the summer. Have a blast. Real blast.  Can buy 10 awesome pc games... etc. Go have a vacation in a ski resort. 3 times.

This has to be a joke.  At some point your parents must have sat you down and said: "Son, life is hard and sometimes you must make difficult choices. But choosing a race track over VR is not one of them, because that's fucking lame."

Welcome to life.
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I really don't think this guy is being serious. This is a poor attempt at trolling imo.

If he is being serious then I don't think he should be allowed outside without adequate responsible adult supervision lmfao  😄

kongking
Explorer
How is it so hard to understand that 600.- can buy you better stuff than VR. Its a fact.

kongking
Explorer
Race track.. not horses. a car. cars. cycles. whatever, or horses.
Btw, you are nuts:) Keep your spirits up, we. the reasonable people will come when this gets reasonable. 
You can take it as trolling, and it sure was. But still with good intentions.