cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revisit the price

kongking
Explorer
We get a miraculous tech for a few hundred bucks. VR is not new anymore. Why a bunch of plastic with years old electronics costs 600 $?

Yes. It's a troll post. But with right cause - there are millions of people who have put the whole VR  thing on hold. The graphics performance is literally available with PCs, consoles with mediocre GPUs right now. Why still 600.-? Just drop it, 300.- and you see 10x increase of the user base. No one looses anything. Everyone wins. Everyone meaning who considers the gains for their money realistically. Remember Gmail with their 15gb space? Whoever does this first for VR will win. Maybe Oculus.
69 REPLIES 69

kojack
MVP
MVP
Some people are pissed off that the price dropped $200. Others are pissed off that it didn't drop $500.
I'm just happy that the price is already so mind numbingly cheap compared to previous VR. 5 years ago a VR hmd with the rift's specs cost over $30,000. Even the lowest spec consumer hmds cost nearly $1000. In 2011 I bought a hmd for $900. It has 35 degree view, no position tracking, very low res and almost zero software support. It was still a bargain for the time.

If buying 10 games is better entertainment value than $600 for a rift, then logically 5 games would be better than a $300 rift. The rift would have to drop to less than the price of 1 game for it to have value.
🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kongking
Explorer
Current tech levels can handle much lower prices. I dunno what that is.. The hype is over. Just get it done. Why the wait?

But you guys missed my serious point - 0, i repeat 0 of my friends and not so friends are going for VR. 0.
All rich and fine young working people.

kongking
Explorer
If it was up to me, id release 1 set for movies with crisp high res wide screen. One for games for good enough quality. And one luxury type. For nutters.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Well we know what you'd buy don't we ? Stop moaning. You are wasting your life posting here so go on holiday for 5 years. When you come back? Voila......cheapy headsets for all 🙂
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

kongking
Explorer
I hope:)
Moaning for god sake. I'd like to see it prevail as fast as possible. Someone has to say that "it doesn't work like that" sometimes or you just psyche each other up and keep on going like that for years to come.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you are mistaken man. The price has nothing to do with the current roll out. Does making it cheaper help? Yes it does, but that isn't what is keeping from a higher adaption rate. The adaption rate is only low because of people's none willingness to buy or upgrade their current PC/mobile device. If it's not broke - don't fix it has kept with people and as a result - long as it is still running, even if it's slow, they will keep it. Fine young people don't care anyways - I am one of them xD I know my generation. If it's not a mobile device - and you have little to no care in something you never used - they will look the other way around like it doesn't exist even if it's a freaking wall in front of them! xD Really I've seen kids walk into walls looking at their phones.

Unless you can show people how VR works, acts, and can be useful - people are not always up to buying something right off. If the HMD could be used as a replacement monitor - I am sure we see a few more increase sells for that alone (same money - buy a 600 headset but have unlimited screen space to work on anything? - that be worth a lot to people!) Or wireless tech that just "works" with your mobile device - just put on the head set and go!

My point being - one, we need to get the most common device out there first to a level that can even play VR. Right now - low end hardware in the limiting factor. Not price.
Point two,  marketing and use value will need to increase. Problem is that this takes time and a lot of money.

Fix/give it time for both of those and you will see numbers increase over time anyways. Lowering the value wont "help" as much as getting something out on the market that has a real use value. Games are consider a use value - but only is a small market.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

kongking said:

Current tech levels can handle much lower prices. I dunno what that is.. The hype is over. Just get it done. Why the wait?

But you guys missed my serious point - 0, i repeat 0 of my friends and not so friends are going for VR. 0.

That only proves that you need a better class of friends.  😉

I think @Mradr is right that the bigger impediment to adoption is the PC requirement, rather than the cost of the Rift. Even for regular PC gaming, a lot of people are hesitant to take the plunge despite the PC providing a better gaming experience than consoles. The type of person who will happily spent $500 on a new video card every couple years probably isn't deterred from VR by the $600 price tag.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

kongking said:

I think you are missing something there.
If they are indeed rich ( which I highly doubt), then I assure you it is not the so called high price of the Rift that is holding them back...

Heck I paid about the same for my 1080 GPU, and look what the Rift does in addition - allows one to see the graphics looking in any direction, in 3D,  rather than just a smaller 2d monitor.  I did not even pay much less for my monitor, guess those are way overpriced too LOL.

JesseDeya
Expert Protege
Favourite new poster kongking is of mine. Subscribe I will.