cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Rift is very confused .......... help needed

SnipeSenior
Explorer
Hi there - got a Rift + Touch controllers 3 months ago, worked right out of the box, no problems at all.

Been away for 6 weeks, just got back, tried to turn it on, all fine until I put the headset on and its facing me but 90 deg to the right of the straight ahead position - no problem, hit the button to redo it and .. nothing.

Carried out the reset approach, sensors tracking the Touch controllers no problem, set up Guardian, no problem. Gets to the part to put on the VR and the area of the guardian is now 6 foot to the left and the sensors are pointed at me but - 90 deg to the left of front.

OK so reset and this time the sensors are behind me and above my head.

Rest and this time they are closer, 85 degrees to the right and it still wont track the head unit. Have rebooted, replugged in all the sensors, still no joy. Was going to try a software uninstall and reboot next but thought I would ask in case anyone here has the same issue.

Cheers

PS have sever jet lag so please use small words .....
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SnipeSenior
Explorer

Random thoughts, sensor faces dirty? Did someone turn a sensor around 180? Did someone unplug a sensor and put it back in a USB 2.0 slot? Are you drunk?

Thanks for your suggestion - sadly not drunk 🙂

Sensors not dirty, but there may have been a sensor change while I was away. 

So I ripped out all the connections, rebooted and thankfully it appears to have reset itself to the full initial startup position - ran through the setup again and all appears to be well - worth noting though if your own system gets tracking issues.

thanks to all again

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
Hate to be that guy, but after you put on your headset, are you pulling the trigger to setup the height in your playspace? I have had this issue very rarely, but in order for the sensors to properly track and orient your playspace, I believe you have to proceed through the step (by pressing the trigger when you're standing completely straight in the middle of your playspace), even if at the beginning of the step the guardian system you setup does not seem to be the same as what you "drew" outside of VR.

Kind of disorienting to try it this way, but after walking to the center of your playspace with the HMD off, I would put it on, and then pull the trigger. After pulling the trigger and the sensors make their "scan," the playspace and guardian inside of VR should snap to where it should be. Even if you don't get a good center position for the first scan, at least it will hopefully bring your VR playspace to where it should be, and then you can always pull the trigger again to redo your center position
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

SnipeSenior
Explorer
Xsjadia - thanks for your response 0 no, its not that - each time I try tpo do a full rest I am following the instructions to the letter - and having tried it again its now locked into the VR and I cannot get the software to start up without it going straight to the VR tracking setup - the sensors are now appearing in random positions each time, but usually behindd or to one side, never where they were during the initial touch controller setup.

Any other thoughts?? anyone?????

stonkintime
Explorer
Random thoughts, sensor faces dirty? Did someone turn a sensor around 180? Did someone unplug a sensor and put it back in a USB 2.0 slot? Are you drunk?

SnipeSenior
Explorer

Thanks for your suggestion - sadly not drunk 🙂

Sensors not dirty, but there may have been a sensor change while I was away. 

So I ripped out all the connections, rebooted and thankfully it appears to have reset itself to the full initial startup position - ran through the setup again and all appears to be well - worth noting though if your own system gets tracking issues.

thanks to all again

SireBlew
Honored Guest
I've had this same problem after introducing a third sensor.  Worked fine the first night.  The next day everything had rotated about 45 degrees to the right and took my guardian system with it.  I've rerun sensor settings but no luck.  If I reboot my computer and do sensor setup, it will work, but just until I take off the HMD.  Once I close Oculus and try to reopen it, the problem comes back up again.  The only way to get it to work is to reboot and run full setup.

Did you ever come across a solution?  I have exchanged over 20 emails with Oculus but don't feel any closer to finding a fix.  I reinstalled everything, including Windows itself, but this didn't solve the problem.

Just curious, what CPU do you have?  I'm running an i5 that "isn't supported" but it worked fine for three months and then nothing.

SnipeSenior
Explorer

SireBlew said:

I've had this same problem after introducing a third sensor.  Worked fine the first night.  The next day everything had rotated about 45 degrees to the right and took my guardian system with it.  I've rerun sensor settings but no luck.  If I reboot my computer and do sensor setup, it will work, but just until I take off the HMD.  Once I close Oculus and try to reopen it, the problem comes back up again.  The only way to get it to work is to reboot and run full setup.

Did you ever come across a solution?  I have exchanged over 20 emails with Oculus but don't feel any closer to finding a fix.  I reinstalled everything, including Windows itself, but this didn't solve the problem.

Just curious, what CPU do you have?  I'm running an i5 that "isn't supported" but it worked fine for three months and then nothing.

Hi there - well for me with two sensors I restarted the PC with everything off / unconnected, it dropped back into setup mode, and after a full reset it's worked fine without a problem on every start. CPU is an i7-5930K @ 3.5Ghz with 32g ram. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.