DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017) - Page 29 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017)

Comments

• SamsonSamson Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    edited March 2017
    I took a look at quake 4 a while ago - based on the sdk, they made quite a few changes to the rendering back end that the source is not available for, which makes supporting this natively alot more difficult - we can't just use the renderer from d3bfg or d3.  ( Hey Raven - wheres the source ?  :p )
  • SakkuraSakkura Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    Wasn't RTCW on the engine prior to Doom 3? Though if all that matters is whether it's open source then that should still be okay.

Anyway, I had some issues getting the mod to work before 0.020, but now it works great. The startup is still a little wonky with a black screen but at least I can get past that and into the game.
    Art3mis
    If you have an AMD card, the black screen on startup/menus is fixed in the next release.

You're right, RTCW does not use the same engine as D3BFG, but all the source is available, and although you cant just cut and paste code from this, the changes are similar. It would be a fair amount of work, but doable.

• RABIDRABID Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    @Samson @2EyeGuy i enjoy your mods more than any of the official releases B)
  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    I just fixed the world scale for the next version. Now you can adjust it, and I'm defaulting it to 0.93x. That makes Doomguy just a normal sized man, the oversized objects a bit more reasonably sized, and gives you slightly more room for room-scale. You might have to crouch slightly more though.
    Now I should add an option to make the floor be in the right place (instead of your eyes being in the right place).
  • Thane_Thane_ Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2017
    Keep in mind, that will make him a normal sized man....for everyone with 2EyeGuy's IPD ;) People with larger IPD will still have their eyes go inwards at those values, causing it to look smaller. Smaller IPDs will have it look bigger. But as long as there Is an adjustment, people will be able to make it satisfying. I sometimes increase my separation just a bit when I use 3D Vision to make impressive environment in the background like in Mass Effect even more incredible. However, with 3D Vision I have near and far point adjustment, so I can do exactly that while keeping objects in front of me the right size. You won't be able to do that with a single separation adjustment, its all bigger or smaller, like 3D adjustment for movies with their baked in convergence angle.

Idealy there should be a far point and near point adjustment in all 3D games. Setting things in the far distance beyond max human depth perception to the user IPD value and adjust the near point till everything in front of you looks satisfyingly real. I suspect the lenses used in VR do some normalizing, but I'm not sure how much and I'm guessing its not a lot. After more than a couple thousand hours of 3D, I find I have gotten very sensitive to 3D scale, with even slight inaccuracies being noticeable and I'd bet the VR community will experience the same and thus the independent near and far point sliders will come, eventually, I think.

Those near and far point values should be in the code somewhere though if your interested enough in finding them.
  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    No! It should make him a normal sized man for everyone. IPD is adjusted in the Oculus drivers, we're not using the same IPD for everyone (as far as I know). VR is nothing like 3D Vision. In VR there's a correct answer that everything has to match. There's no tweaking things according to taste. There's no such thing as separation or convergence. A 10cm cube that's 1 metre away has to look like a 10cm cube 1 metre away.

I added the option to make the floor in the right place (rather than the eyes being in the right place).

Doom 3 BFG wasn't made for VR, so they didn't model everything to a consistent size. I just finished scaling all the ammo, weapon world models, and keycards to a size consistent with the weapon view models. It should make everything a bit more realistic.
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2017
    Scale and floorheight were the 2 things I was waiting for :D so thanks for adding them.
    I guess I'm very sensitve when it comes to scale in VR since I haven't read much complains about it in this thread and on Reddit..
    Maybe it is the combination of both not being on real floor height and the slightly too big overall worldscale, that made most players not notice an issue there.

Also glad that the "seated mode" (height not aligned to real floor), will still be there as an option 

• SakkuraSakkura Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    2EyeGuy said:

Doom 3 BFG wasn't made for VR, so they didn't model everything to a consistent size. I just finished scaling all the ammo, weapon world models, and keycards to a size consistent with the weapon view models. It should make everything a bit more realistic.
    That's awesome!

I hope it doesn't make them harder to notice though.
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2017
    2EyeGuy, VR is plain old, basic, standard stereoscopic 3D.... and it has separation and convergence angles too as all 3D must have to create the effect (unless you are referring to the actual 3D VIsion adjustment settings themselves?). VR 3D is like 3D Vision with lenses, but with a few less variables to account for. But I think you may have meant VR is not like 3D Vision in terms of the way it works in the background, in the code. Any 3D code must set the separation of things that are near to one amount and things that are far to another amount to change those eye angles. I didn't realize you were working with a variable that effects the global IPD setting, so sorry about that (although I still don't quite understand that).

"A 10cm cube that's 1 metre away has to look like a 10cm cube 1 metre away."

This is exactly my goal, this is what I'm aiming for mainly, the rest isn't even icing on the cake, more like the extra flowery bits I can't eat anymore. I'm mainly trying to get here and if that's as far as the industry is willing to go, then its a success IMO. We're not there yet, nor does our course even indicate we're heading this way, so obviously we have a misunderstanding here, because comments i've seen by people with correctly set IPDs saying they experience the wrong world scale number near a hundred.

To help illustrate my point about needing more than a simple global separation change, a single variable that shifts the two images as a whole outward or inward (which I assume is all that changing the IPD value in the Oculus settings does right?), picture an overhead view of a person we'll call Ted, viewing a butterfly on their VR screens that are very close to their eyes. Their virtual finger is .5 virtual meters away. Now imagine lines coming out of their eyes toward the butterfly, not the virtual butterfly, but 2D butterfly on the screen itself, each eye. Now lets presume the world scale is perfect for this person. Okay..........         now lets meet Joe, hes got the same IPD and Ted, but hes overweight and has a lot of extra fatty tissue where his headset sits, or maybe he bought a thicker VR seal, or maybe his eyes are recessed into his head more, etc, etc. Now try and imagine the difference in the angle the lines that form between the eyes and the butterfly on the screen, again, NOT to the virtual butterfly, but the 2D butterfly on screen. For Joe, the butterfly has gotten bigger and further away as has his now unnaturally large hands. So if all we do is only adjust overall separation for Joe to make the hands again take on the right size/ distance using ONLY the single overarcing separation adjustment that adjusts everything? What happens? Why is this insuffiecent?

Because for Joe, we completely fuck up object scale at a distance. The hands/butterfly now look right because we've allowed the eyes to angle more inwards to get them back closer to us, but since it took everything with it for the ride, now things like planets, for example, have descernable stereo dimensionality (they never should) and they look a short walk down the road instead of a months journey to where they actually virtually are. When the screen is so close to the eye, i worry that even small adjustments to the image may have a very large effect on eye angles.

Or the opposite and a worse situation, what if Joe is a game dev and has set the separation for his near and far points to his IPD and physical viewing conditions. Now if Ted uses it at Joe's perfect settings, the butterfly and hands look a little close for him and oddly small, but because his IPD is the same, what to do? If we tell Ted to adjust his IPD setting so the hands looks like normal hands, which will require increasing the separation and thus causing eye angles to go outward we will do something very bad, which is to cause the eyes to diverge outward beyond parallel. That will happen because Joe the dev had his stereo separation for distance correctly at his IPD, thus making the hands bigger/further for Ted and also makes increases the separation between the distant objects. Not good. And since maximum human stereo depth cue only goes out to about 240 meters (with the clarity of human vision), that's a whole of lot potential objects that could cause Ted's eyes to diverge beyond parallel. After 2,500 hours of 3D, accidently increasing separation beyond my IPD is the main thing that ever gives my eye strain.

btw, this isn't a plea that you do this for the D3 mod in case it wasn't clear.
  • F4CEpa1mF4CEpa1m Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    Lads,

I just put up a 2 part video series that covers all aspects of the install, menus + features for your insane mod:

Install + Hi Def Texture Pack:

Menus + Features Guide:

Hopefully it helps reduce some of the repetitive FAQs for you  :)

Gave you a plug at the start of the vids too ;)

Looking forward to 0.22, and thanks for everything!!

@Samson @2EyeGuy
    Art3mis
    edited April 2017
    Man, awesome videos - can't thank you enough! You're hired! 
    Sorry 22 is taking so long - my fault - it's taking me forever to redo some of the anims.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited April 2017
    You should see STALKER (using VorpX) - it looks amazing, too, considering its age and engine.10 years old and ace in VR.

I'll see if I can do a 3D SBS recording to show - though it will never look as good as in-game. Siderovic never looked so good!

I agree, tho - Doom3 was always a fave and VR has just given it an extra few months in my library.

• ParadiseDecayParadiseDecay Posts: 510
    Neo
    I cannot turn in the game? Check and tried all the settings... any thoughts?
    ☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060
    Art3mis
    Hey man :)  

Make sure in the VR Options menu:

Under 'VR Comfort + Safety', set the 'Turning' mode set to 'Analog'.  

Under 'VR Control Options', set the 'Controller Type' to 'Motion Controllers'.  And then set the 'Move Mode' to 'Standard Stick Move'.

With these settings you should definitely be able to turn asfaik
    Art3mis
    Samson said:
    Man, awesome videos - can't thank you enough! You're hired! 
    Sorry 22 is taking so long - my fault - it's taking me forever to redo some of the anims.
    Ha!  Best job interview ever :D

Looking forward to 0.22 mate, good things take time though so no stress.

Cheers!
  • ParadiseDecayParadiseDecay Posts: 510
    Neo
    F4CEpa1m said:
    Hey man :)  

Make sure in the VR Options menu:

Under 'VR Comfort + Safety', set the 'Turning' mode set to 'Analog'.  

Under 'VR Control Options', set the 'Controller Type' to 'Motion Controllers'.  And then set the 'Move Mode' to 'Standard Stick Move'.

With these settings you should definitely be able to turn asfaik
    Yes, sorted cheers!

Also I figured out that the black screen happens after copying the 'High Definition' textures?
    I tried Doom without adding these textures and it works ok. 
    ☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2017
    Wanted to re-post this helpful info by Syndroid here. Hes referring to the two helpful videos about how to install the D3 VR mod with the ultimate big texture pack thingy.

"Nice video. but keep in mind that this particular "texture pack" does not only contain high res textrues, it also adds a bunch of gameplay changes like; much faster and harder enemies, altered weapon stats, sound effects etc...
    Overall, it gives you a worse VR experience IMO, because this mod was originially desigend for fast mouse+keyboard 2D gameplay.
    Additionally the models get replaced with high poly ones, which are basicially just subdivided meshes. So they don't look that much better, but they do significantly affect the performance.
    That's why I'd recommend to install the texture files only... Either by using the "texture" and "models" folder (without the "MD5" subfolder) from the "ultimate HD pack", or by downloading the first 3 files from here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons "
  • Murpheus77Murpheus77 Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    edited July 2017
    Got a couple of problems; installed it yesterday and played a few levels no problem. Tried to launch it today and it refuses to launch in VR, not sure why as no settings were changed. Plays fine in 2D in a reduced window.

Also, I'm playing it seated with a gamepad and would prefer the old 'nose-gun' set up (or a smaller keyhole) as I am having to push the weapon all the way to the edge of the screen to actually turn around, which can be quite frustrating in the middle of a battle. The console commands 'vr-aimlook 1' and 'vr_seated 1' are not recognised in the console.

Apart from that, I am seriously impressed with the obvious effort that has gone into this app. Many thanks.   
  • gibbskigibbski Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    I troed to install the high def mod per F4cepa1m instructions. I have beautiful high def textures but my gun sounds are just beeps. Any idea What I'm doing wrong? 
  • 4DJ4DJ Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi, I have this up and running on the Vive & it is incredibly impressive! Just wanted to let you know that i think this project is fantastically well put together & I really appreciate it, nice one!  
  • RedguardRedguard Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Got a couple of problems; installed it yesterday and played a few levels no problem. Tried to launch it today and it refuses to launch in VR, not sure why as no settings were changed. Plays fine in 2D in a reduced window.

Also, I'm playing it seated with a gamepad and would prefer the old 'nose-gun' set up (or a smaller keyhole) as I am having to push the weaon all the way to the edge of the screen to actually turn around, which can be quite frustrating in the middle of a battle. The console commands 'vr-aimlook 1' and 'vr_seated 1' are not recognised in the console.

Apart from that, I am seriously impressed with the obvious effort that has gone into this app. Many thanks.   

I just went through all the setup and installation and mine won't launch in VR on my Rift either.

Did you figure out how to get it to launch on your Rift again? If so, how?!
  • Murpheus77Murpheus77 Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    Redguard said:

Also, I'm playing it seated with a gamepad and would prefer the old 'nose-gun' set up (or a smaller keyhole) as I am having to push the weaon all the way to the edge of the screen to actually turn around, which can be quite frustrating in the middle of a battle. The console commands 'vr-aimlook 1' and 'vr_seated 1' are not recognised in the console.

I just went through all the setup and installation and mine won't launch in VR on my Rift either.

Hi there,

I'm using a DK2 and I was experiencing an issue of SteamVR not detecting my headset for whatever reason. The  problem seems to have resolved itself now but I would recommend starting a native VR game in Steam first and then coming back to Doom if you are experiencing the same issue. Worked for me. Also, ensure that you are using the Fully Possessed exe or shortcut to launch the game.

Other than that, beats me. I haven't bothered with it for some time to be honest. While the VR implementation is incredible the console won't recognise any of the author's given commands to enable aim look with the headset - and that makes for some very frustrating game play when you're seated with a gamepad (or mouse).   
    NerveGear
    Redguard said:

Hi there,

I'm using a DK2 and I was experiencing an issue of SteamVR not detecting my headset for whatever reason. The  problem seems to have resolved itself now but I would recommend starting a native VR game in Steam first and then coming back to Doom if you are experiencing the same issue. Worked for me. Also, ensure that you are using the Fully Possessed exe or shortcut to launch the game.

Other than that, beats me. I haven't bothered with it for some time to be honest. While the VR implementation is incredible the console won't recognise any of the author's given commands to enable aim look with the headset - and that makes for some very frustrating game play when you're seated with a gamepad (or mouse).   
    Hey man. Your advice made the difference! I wanted you to know you really brightened my day. Thanks a lot for taking the time to help!
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    Wow I`m loving this mod :-) 
    The only problems I`m having are the character height doesn't save and the guardian wall appears when I change weapons.

Art3mis
    edited May 2017
    Pabbert said:
    Wow I`m loving this mod :-) 
    The only problems I`m having are the character height doesn't save and the guardian wall appears when I change weapons.

Hey mate, to remove the guardian wall when changing weapons, in the Doom 3 pre game menu go to:
    VR Options>Rendering Options>Chaperone and change it to 'None' 

Height settings etc in there also:
    VR Options>Rendering Options

If not saving from there try using the console. In game, hit the tilda key on your keyboard and type:

vr_manualHeight 70 FLOAT

Just change that number from 70 to whatever height, for example 75, and  then hit enter. 

I haven't tried that one but give it a go, and if it fucks it up even more then just reset it to 70 :)

All menu options covered here too bruv:

• PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2017
    Cheers Buddy :-)
    Thanks for taking the time to help.

NerveGear
    Redguard said:

Hi there,

Hey man. Your advice made the difference! I wanted you to know you really brightened my day! Thanks a lot.
    NerveGear
    Redguard said:

Hi there,

Hey man. Your advice made the difference! I wanted you to know you really brightened my day! Thanks a lot.
  • NijNij Posts: 310
    Nexus 6
    I am currently still on the previous alpha VO.015 version with the full all in one ultimate hd pack as I've really not wanted to update as didn't wanna lose my saved game and start right back from the beginning as already done this once after updating from prev versions but I tried to play my older version the other night after not playing it for a while and had a big black square in my view so thinking this might be because of a recent nvidia or windows update so looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet now

Just a couple of things tho, guessing I've gotta completely uninstall the game and reinstall it to get rid of the mod then install the latest mod but was thinking might just apply the texture/models folders as like @Syndroid said, it does completely change the game and seems harder but really don't wanna start again, so do you know if and how I can grab my saved game and resume once I've updated and if I can would I need to install the full all in one pack so I can do this or would I get away with just instaling the texture and models folder as above

Cheers, keep up the great work!!
    I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D