cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think developers are thinking enough about gaming fatigue?

NoRestarts
Protege
In my opinion, developers are making some great experiences, but haven't put a lot of thought into long term gameplay using the touch controllers. Standing experiences are great, but after a certain amount of time you just want to sit down. The amount of time varies, but it's certainly not in the same ballpark as some of the marathon sessions I've had on my PC monitor.

I've been able to play a lot of standing games just fine while sitting in a chair. Some games, like The Unspoken, all the action takes place in front of you, so there is no need to turn around. In other games, like Robo Recall and Arizona Sunshine, you can teleport to change direction and look behind you. Once I mastered that mechanic, I was able to play the games moving only my head and arms. Turning my body became a pointless exercise, and I was able to play the game for much longer periods.

Is it just me, or has anybody else been having a fun time in the rift and had to put it down because of fatigue, wishing you could still play, and then went back to playing 2D games on a monitor or console?
23 REPLIES 23

hoochyuk
Heroic Explorer
I'm on over 200 hours on onward and have done many 7-8 hour stints and think getting of your arse's  is a good thing 

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
NO. Just look at Tethered.
Crazy. No save option and 40 mins per level. 

NoRestarts
Protege

I'm on over 200 hours on onward and have done many 7-8 hour stints and think getting of your arse's  is a good thing 

Like I said earlier, I don't think there is any dispute that exercise is good for you, but most early adopters of VR are pretty hard core gamers, as it takes a pretty powerful graphics card to run. Usually only avid gamers would have one powerful enough, and most gamers aren't as physically fit as you. If the system doesn't cater to the early adopters, it will struggle to gain momentum. You need to SLOWLY introduce physical exertion, or you run the risk of people going back to their traditional pc games and consoles. The platform may not survive if only physically fit people play on it. As many studies have shown, the majority of the US population are not physically fit.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I think the addition of physicality to gaming is not a bad thing. It does mean shorter play sessions for some people, but that's okay. The only time I think it's a problem is when the game doesn't allow for short bursts of play. Raw Data, for instance, has missions that take you through several phases of enemy waves. They can go on a bit long, and I don't think you can save and quit part way through (maybe you can and I just haven't seen the option). Games like SuperHot or Robo Recall with fairly short levels suit me fine--I can enjoy the action, and if I'm getting too sweaty after half an hour, I can take a break or play something more relaxed.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kevink808
Superstar
We have arrived at a point that people complain about having to move their fat asses off their chair/couch.  The Wii revolution could not save us from ourselves.  The end is nigh.  
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
One thing to keep in mind when talking about the general gamer being lazy or out of shape, is that there are plenty of gamers who aren't. Also I personally think VR gaming has an appeal to many people who isn't much into traditional monitor gaming. Especially in the future when it's cheaper and it doesn't require such an expensive PC for an optimal experience in most games.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Some people complain about games been to short and not long enough. So a game been short does have some benefits. You can go put your legs up after 15 mins of playtime.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Mr.Creepy said:

One thing to keep in mind when talking about the general gamer being lazy or out of shape, is that there are plenty of gamers who aren't. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

TwoHedWlf said:

Mr.Creepy said:

One thing to keep in mind when talking about the general gamer being lazy or out of shape, is that there are plenty of gamers who aren't. 

Steven Seagal, isn't looking as fit as he once did.