cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift loses randomly HDMI connection

schrumpelrat
Honored Guest
first of english is not my native language and i'm not great with it, so please excuse bad grammar etc.

i have a problem with my rift. since it came to me i have trouble to play for more than a couple minutes or not even seconds before it loses the hdmi connection.
i tried several steps to fix this issue:

connect hdmi direct to the gpu port
connect hdmi through a front connection in my card reader
connect through a dvi to hdmi connector, a passive displayport to hdmi connector and an active displayport to hdmi connector

i also tried to refit the cable in the rift. i connected the rift to the usb 3 ports of my motherboard and on the port of my add on card. i also tried one usb 3 on the mb and one on the add on card and switch them vice versa.
i disabled the energy savings options on all usb ports, the rift sensor and the gpu.
i also tried different usb and gpu drivers (older ones as well as the current ones)

my specs:
intel i7 4790k
msi gd65 z87 gaming
palit gamerock 1080 (had the same issues on my palit 980ti, but my 1080 came short after my rift and i was thinking the 980ti had a incompatible hdmi port)
32gb ddr3 2133mhz
windows 10 pro 64bit
fresco logic fl1100 usb 3 pcie card

current installed gpu driver is 368.51, for usb 3 it is 10.0.10586.212 for the fresco card and the default windows driver for the intel usb 3 on the motherboard.

i also restart my pc after every fix attempt just to be sure everything is in the right place. 

i hope someone can help me to get in vr already ;_;

i added also the recommended logs. 
197 REPLIES 197

Vaeyn
Honored Guest
I had this problem of random HDMI disconnects and I realized it happened most when I was in the middle of a very intense bit of combat in games like Robo Recall.  I played with the headset a bit and found out that the cable connecting into the Rift headset was kind of lose and if I touched or messed with it even lightly it would disconnect.

I decided to try something really simple to see it would fix the problem.  What I did was get some cellophane tape and I wrapped it around the rubber part of the plug just above the metal connector that goes into the Rift headset to make it thicker and give it less room to wiggle during intense play.  I then plugged it back in and gave it a go with Robo Recall and Raw Data, the two main games I got the most disconnects.

So far it seems to have fixed the problem pretty well.  If you notice your disconnects come from intense play and touching the headset then you may want to give this a try.

Magmetism
Honored Guest

Vaeyn said:

I had this problem of random HDMI disconnects and I realized it happened most when I was in the middle of a very intense bit of combat in games like Robo Recall.  I played with the headset a bit and found out that the cable connecting into the Rift headset was kind of lose and if I touched or messed with it even lightly it would disconnect.

I decided to try something really simple to see it would fix the problem.  What I did was get some cellophane tape and I wrapped it around the rubber part of the plug just above the metal connector that goes into the Rift headset to make it thicker and give it less room to wiggle during intense play.  I then plugged it back in and gave it a go with Robo Recall and Raw Data, the two main games I got the most disconnects.

So far it seems to have fixed the problem pretty well.  If you notice your disconnects come from intense play and touching the headset then you may want to give this a try.

Oh, wow. This fixed my disconnect issues like a charm. I had taken the cable out of the retention bracket on the side and routed it directly trough a Zip-tie fastened to the top headband, because of the cable suspension i made from the ceiling. This made the hdmi plug wiggle around and disconnect during play. Routed it back through the bracket and ziptied to the back-triangle part of the headset and then routed it to the top, so no strain is on the plug anymore. Also gave the plug some tape, to make it more secure in the port. Works perfect now 😄

trickytricky91
Honored Guest
IVE GOT THE SOLUTION!

You have to take the RIft face side off and plug the Cabel at the headset in and out again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKAmfHnnQ_g

In this video you can see how to do this. Its realy easy and takes about 1 minute.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
After a recent upgrade of mobo, cpu and graphics card I'm now getting the dreaded HDMI disconnects. Had my Rift since June and not a single problem with the headset until now. I counted myself lucky.
I did have sensor disconnects, but they only happened when I wasn't using the Rift, so didn't bother me.
Now the sensors are fine, but the HDMI thing has started. Most frustrating, as I've had no end of bother with the upgrade (see other thread about crappy Win 10 and going back to Win 7) and Windows etc, now it should all be okay finally, and this starts happening.

I've had nearly 3 weeks of one off-pissing problem after another and I'm getting close to hurling it all out of the window and going back to my ZX81.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

kocherdmd
Honored Guest
(HERE'S A FIX NOT LISTED ABOVE) Here was my fix and explanation: My
computer was too hot! Sounds crazy, but most computerS running VR are
pretty heavy duty and can generate heat.  One of my fans was out, AND, I
had my computer couped up in a corner with poor air flow.  Therefore,
it was hot and hot air was escaping through my GPU inputs, which in turn
heated up the metal dongle end of the HDMI cable that ran to the oculus
on the other end.  It was so hot I couldn't hold it more than one or
two seconds.  Once I fixed my fan, and got better air flow, the dongle
didn't heat up, and viola, problem never came back!  Might be the other
issues mentioned above for you, but check your HDMI dongle first to make
sure it isn't piping hot.

KERISS
Honored Guest
Seems, a problem is finally solved for me. The mainboard bends together with the whole rift when it's being moved or touched. In the middle of the board there is a STM32F chip located (iFixit teardown, step 9, yellow square) which has almost no space between textolite and chip's body. But since it is located in the middle, all bends come thru this point and bga connection gets broken. I've heated this chip with soldering heat gun (together with small amount of flux) and glued another piece of textolite to the backside of motherboard to reduce flexibility in this point. Since that I'm not afraid to make head movement or adjust the rift on the head. Disconnection problem has gone. Hope this information helps.
P.S. English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

WarlockD
Honored Guest

KERISS said:

Seems, a problem is finally solved for me. The mainboard bends together with the whole rift when it's being moved or touched. In the middle of the board there is a STM32F chip located (iFixit teardown, step 9, yellow square) which has almost no space between textolite and chip's body. But since it is located in the middle, all bends come thru this point and bga connection gets broken. I've heated this chip with soldering heat gun (together with small amount of flux) and glued another piece of textolite to the backside of motherboard to reduce flexibility in this point. Since that I'm not afraid to make head movement or adjust the rift on the head. Disconnection problem has gone. Hope this information helps.
P.S. English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

My god thanks ALOT.  I stopped using my rift because of this problem and didn't want to call support a 5th time about a "usb thing"  I noticed when the board was just lightly bent it went off.  I even thing the socket for the HDMI is not all on there either.  I am going to try this now.  Either that or trash iit, doesn't look like support was helping at all.

Javbomb
Protege

Javbomb said:

Javbomb said:

PIXELATED said:

@javbomb.. did you get your rift made happy again or are you still waiting?

Not just yet...

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/417773/#Comment_417773

Got my replacement Rift Finally... After four hours of the amber light and not being able to get it working I found a really odd quirk where I had a rogue file called 'Program' in the root directory of C Drive which was stopping the Oculus services from correctly executing the library and switching on the HMD... I was almost ready to give up when I finally looked really hard at the Oculus logs and found some references to not being a valid Win32 application, googled it, and saw a tip saying that's usually because of a space in the file path... Ha.

Anyway, deleted that file, and holy hell it all seems to work. Didn't play for too long, but I kind of squeezed the HMD and twisted it a bit to the point where the other would cut out and this one is good... played a couple games for about 30 mins and not one drop out despite taking on and off the HMD a few times. I think this nightmare may be over 'touch wood'

Time to try and forget this whole ordeal and just enjoy VR.

Over and out.

Sigh... I hate to dig up an old thread. But the same exact problem as I had earlier is now affecting my replacement rift... Its a damn shame I had this thing shelved for about 7 months, since just ordering the touch controls and another sensor finally this month, pulled out the rift again, and low and behold, same issue... HMD Cable socket faulty when the unit is handled and touched.... Unfortunately now the thing is out of warranty for about 8-9 months... Waiting on support to advise if anything can be done...

Potentially have a brick on my hands here despite this being a known documented issue from multiple owners in the past...

Fingers crossed. When it has been working, the touch controls and Robo Recall have been absolutely incredible.