cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3+ Sensor Rift Users: Where Did You Set Up The Sensors?

cybereality
Grand Champion
For users who set up 3 or more sensors: where did you
set up the sensors, and what unique challenges you have run into?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
77 REPLIES 77

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
Man cave.  Challenges:
  • Could not mount the sensors in the ceiling less than 12' apart or they would cast shadows on the movie screen when watching movies (too much hassle to take down)
  • "Desk" is in the back away from the room-scale space so I actually have to use two setups - one with 3 cameras on the ceiling for room scale and another single camera on the desk for sit-down games (which I swap using batch files).
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

HankTV
Protege
Got my 4 sensors in the living room. 2 standing left and right by the TV the other 2 are in the oposite corners standing on table and desk.
Works perfect.

Anonymous
Not applicable
3 sensors in bedroom, playspace is the half of the room not occupied by bed & cabinets! Main physical challenge was finding ways to mount the third sensor in the middle of the room. Ended up using an adhesive ceiling mount for the 3rd ('behind') sensor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B82MY94/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
which is not at all ideal as the head angle doesn't adjust enough to have the camera be able to look directly vertically down.
Generally the challenge is just we need an easier way to mount the things high up. Something like these contractor poles (I know a few people who use them) but preferably less terrible-looking! http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=13425&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=CjwKEAjw8OLGBRCklJalqKHzjQ0SJACP4BHrZw0GvdSFj6n86amRy2GCwZViZ3AjklWJlI_Ik_--dBoC4QLw_wcB

bgranorff
Protege
Four sensors. Issues have been with tracking in general. Left hand in games starts to lose tracking or simply be non responsive/blink, etc. Pretty much gave up on room scale even with 3 trackers. 

PseudoSoul
Explorer

bgranorff said:

Four sensors. Issues have been with tracking in general. Left hand in games starts to lose tracking or simply be non responsive/blink, etc. Pretty much gave up on room scale even with 3 trackers. 

That's a shame man. I had hell myself but when I got it, man it's good shiz!

Ybalrid
Expert Protege
Fixed ont the walls at the corners of the room with 3D printed mounts and 3M command strips. Still did not get around to manage the wires cleanly ^^"
CV1+Touch; Running on GTX980 - 4770K - 32GB DDR3 Developer at LIV

Anonymous
Not applicable
My set-up is in the spare bedroom, a.k.a. the computer room... One is mounted on a spare camera tripod, the other two sat on bookcase shelves... Lucky enough to have a 2m x 2.5m area for 360°. Everything is set so it can be used when at the desk, the race rig, or doing a standing experience, all without having to move the sensors.

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
Normally I have just two cameras connected to my PC in my workshop, where i work in Medium and play games that don't require room scale.  If I want to do any room scale stuff, I take the cameras and Rift out to the living room, where I have a third Rift camera and our Vive permanently set up.

Though, I'm thinking about buying another pair of cameras so I can have a permanent setup in my workshop.

eightbitjuan
Protege
I had my 4 sensors jankily placed around the room while waiting for our appointment to have new carpet installed.

After the install, I wall mounted all sensors using 4 of these: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1772848

I ended up having to use a passive USB 2.0 extension in conjunction with the included active extension cable for the sensor farthest away from the PC. Initially I did have trouble with the setup when calibrating it, but adjusting the sensors a bit solved that for me. 

I experience zero issues with tracking now that it's all mounted, cables managed, and sensors calibrated. This now lets me experience all titles I've tried on SteamVR flawlessly. Best of both worlds!  😉
CPU: i7 7700K, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 1070, Mobo: MSI Z270M Mortar, USB: Mobo + Inatec 4 Port Expansion Card, VR: CV1 + Touch + 2 Extra Sensors | Steam Origin Uplay Twitter: eightbitJuan