cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3+ Sensor Rift Users: Where Did You Set Up The Sensors?

cybereality
Grand Champion
For users who set up 3 or more sensors: where did you
set up the sensors, and what unique challenges you have run into?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
77 REPLIES 77

Minitu
Expert Protege
I guess I should have voted bedroom but its my entertainment/comp room. But this in fact its the smallest one of a 3 bedroom flat. Maybe its 2x3m but as I need a table for my comp and my library on the side, the usable space its just 1,5m wide and 2m long. This also requieres to translate chairs outside of room to the corridor to play roomscale. 😕

2 sensors at front separated 1m. and one sensor rear but near a corner. In games like RR I keep bumping into walls, and my guardian is annoyingly on most time. I only can sustain 2 USB3.0 sensors, so I decided to use 3.0 for rear sensor and the opposed front sensor. The other front sensor runs on USB2.0 and I see it as a backup for the front facing experiences. That means the extension cable included with 3rd sensor has to be replaced with an active 5m USB3.0.

Still waiting for a hdmi+usb3.0 active extension mainly for the added role of "breakout box" because I fear getting tangled and physically damage my comp conectors.

I think its time to get a divorce as most likely solution. Next place will be chosen with enough space as a must. 😘

Soon upgrading to Ryzen

VRoaaar
Protege
Can we please get setup profiles so we can easily switch between 2 and 3 sensors? I have 2 sensors installed permanently, but the third one can only be used temporarily because of the cable running through the room. I only connect the third sensor when I need room scale. But then I need to go through the setup process again...

elboffor
Consultant

I made an app to do that for ya.

Search oculus home multitool 😉

This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Nibre
Expert Protege
I have 3 sensors, 2 of which are attached upside-down to the bottom of my Vive Basestations (so up high, opposite from each other) and the 3rd one in another corner, standard and sitting on a shelf. 

Vetkin
Expert Protege
I set mine up in my home office. Two cameras are on either side of my monitor and the third is on the far right end of my corner desk. My biggest challenge was (and still is) how to optimally get a camera behind me without having USB cables stretched across the floor. Tracking with my current setup has worked fine for games like robo recall, so I haven't felt the need to mess with it much.

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
I dedicated a room in my apt to the game/VR room.  the only thing in here is a desk and pc/VR setup.  and a chair.  Nothing else.  the only issue imgetting is tracking now and then and the sensors telling me tracking is bad

Caldari5
Protege
Biggest issue for me has been my PC having weird random restart issues of my USB3 controllers, or at least I think that's what is happening, cause my racing wheel does a restart at the same time, still haven't narrowed it down.
pluhnidp52v4.jpg947tv3rpglfp.jpg

Edit just came across and issue that I thought had been fixed in a previous update, not sure if it is related to the number of sensors though, where the system suddenly decides that my height is double what it should be, like the view looks like my feet are where my head would normally be in home and then everything that I launch after that.
Feature request, reset height when resetting view or have it set as a new option in the menu.

gplaurin
Protege
Not finished basement, walls are reflective insulation but does not seems to be a problem for tracking. Sensors are 2 in the front about 10 feet apart and 6 feet in the air. The one in the back is in the middle of the room, about 7 feet in the air facing downward for good ground tracking. Best tracking I could achieve!

Chewbagger
Honored Guest
I have a 3 sensor setup in my living room. Two usb3 facing forward above my desk about 4 feet apart and one usb2 (plugged into a usb3 port) with included extension cable diagonally 14ft across from the others. All are set about 5' high facing slightly downward.  I'm signed into the oculus beta and my tracking has been almost perfect with 7ft x 8ft roomscale. Oh and using 3ft extensions for headset HDMI and USB.

kzintzi
Trustee

Crowaust said:

Feature request, reset height when resetting view or have it set as a new option in the menu.

the option is there in Devices - "Reset Height" I think.. it brings up the funk scanning area where you go into VR to finish your setup after defining the guardian borders.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.