cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram frequency affects rift tracking.

UnFknBLievable
Expert Protege
i have a high end system running perfectly fine, stable and fast (i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz, gskill 3000mhz ddr4, GTX1080, win 10 and Asus z170-AR motherboard.

only adjusting the memory frequency between default factory speed (3000mhz) and underclocking it down to 2144mhz, why does the tracking system of the rift go from being unstable and often unplayable to flawless?

oculus can you look into this please? 
58 REPLIES 58

flexy123
Superstar
Is your system in general stable? I mean tested with OCCT, Prime, memtest etc.?

danknugz
Superstar
i actually have 3000mhz ram but the bios defaults it to 2100 unless i modify a special profile and use it (asus refers to this as "xmp") , never bothered to change it and in general never had any major issues
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

dougchism
Expert Protege
Depending on the motherboard,  some have USB issues with XMP and overclocking. My guess is if your USB ports are being handled by the CPU or chipset, they probably are going to get timing issues with XMP and overclocking. If you are using ports attached to a 3rd party controller, or an add-on card my guess is they wont. 

I am building my new system right now ( specs below ) and will test it out with/without XMP and report back. 

kojack
MVP
MVP
I've heard other people a while ago (maybe on reddit?) say that turning the xmp profile on/off affected tracking, but it made no difference to me.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

UnFknBLievable
Expert Protege
Yes, my system is 100% stable at default memory speed (3000mhz). This is a direct relationship between all the rift problems I've had and Ram frequency on a Z170 motherboard. Last night I under clocked my Ram again for an Assetto Corsa Race and everything was flawless again. I tested this and can 100% confirm that my RAM frequency is affecting my Rift tracking.

Other USB devices such as my G25 racing wheel and my Saitek X52 Pro joystick are 100% stable at default (3000mhz) Ram frequency.

Danknugz - If you know how, I suggest trying to use your rift with your XMP profile or better yet, leave it disabled, set all RAM options to "Auto" and only change your frequency to it's factory speed and test your Rift. I would love to know your results. What is your motherboard?

Dougchism - I am considering changing my motherboard if this is a common problem with Z170 motherboards. I will have to test with XMP enabled with a slower RAM frequency, if my BIOS allows it.

PseudoSoul
Explorer
Default RAM is 2133 on that chipset. The RAM manufacturer may rate it a 3000, but the MoBo will ultimately decide. I would go back to 2133, and OC everything else. If your VR is running well at that point, leave it alone.
The Rift can not be compared to other USB devices. It is a picky SOB.

UnFknBLievable
Expert Protege
Directly off the Asus website.

4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4
3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3333(O.C.)/3300(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)
MHz Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs. 
* Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

So yes, it does support my memory speed. If it didn't, I wouldn't have selected it when I purchased it and it certainly wouldn't support it in the BIOS.

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
Running a Z170 motherboard, have used RAM @ both 2133 MHz and 3200 MHz. I do not see a difference.

Could also be the timings set for your XMP profile @ 3000 MHz. Even if a RAM stick can run @ 3000, it doesn't necessarily mean it will perform well at that speed.
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

UnFknBLievable
Expert Protege
It is Gskill factory speed and timing for the Ram ( Ripjaw V series). I have sent Asus an E-mail also to see what they say.