Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D printable sensor mount hobby project

caseydvorak
Honored Guest

Hey all!

I'm one of the folks at
Oculus who has been working on Oculus tracking and roomscale support.  When
I was experimenting with different setups, I decided to start up a bit of a hobby project to create a few mounts I could use at my setup at home.

I got into 3D printing
about a year ago, and have been having a lot of fun creating some custom items
like this.  Note, these aren't Oculus products or endorsed as official
Oculus mounts, but I figured if people in the community wanted to give a shot
at printing them and adding them to their setup it could be a help.  3D printing can be difficult if you don’t have a lot of experience, so in many cases you’re better off buying official tripod mounts.  That said if you’re up to the challenge feel free to try printing these and/or modify them for your own use.  These are the items attached:

Sensor-holders

holder-corner-slim.stl - Slim version of corner sensor mount

holder-corner-standard.stl - Full rectangular version of corner sensor
mount

holder-flat-slim.stl - Slim version of flat sensor mount, for
mounting directly on a flat wall

holder-flat-standard.stl - Full rectangular version of the flat mount

Cord-guides (to keep the sensor cord against the
wall)

cordguide-corner-slim.stl - Guide which uses one screw to press the cord
against the corner of your wall

cordguide-corner-standard.stl - Guide which uses two screws to press the cord
against the corner of your wall

cordguide-flat-standard.stl - Flat guide to press your cable against a flat
wall

In case you want to try
printing, I used these print settings on my personal machine:

Material: ABS (though PLA or other materials may work)

Infill 20%

Top/bottom/side layers: 4

Speed 40mm/s

Have fun!

P.S. I ended up designing these for #2 Phillips 1" 2.54cm drywall screws.  You should be able to pick them up at a local hardware store if you don't have compatible screws already.

ysi874tlezq6.png

khteygdknvvi.jpg

35 REPLIES 35

MikeSpeak24
Protege

zork2001 said:

Made myself two mounts and put them up on the facing wall at a height 2 meters and i am astounded at the improvement to my setup. I was placing them on the corners of my desk previously  but i had issues if i had to reach below my knees. this setup works brilliantly. qcmmmcerai40.jpg

couldn't you just have one sensor in the middle doing the same job as the both of them.

Dunno, i got two so i use them. Two has to be better than one eh lol

vannagirl
Consultant
great designs

however a really awesome forum member unexpectedly mail me wall brackets they printed...YES!!!

In you face, 3 sensor full space tracking!!!
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

zork2001
Heroic Explorer

zork2001 said:

Made myself two mounts and put them up on the facing wall at a height 2 meters and i am astounded at the improvement to my setup. I was placing them on the corners of my desk previously  but i had issues if i had to reach below my knees. this setup works brilliantly. qcmmmcerai40.jpg

couldn't you just have one sensor in the middle doing the same job as the both of them.

wouldn't it be better to have the second one on the opposite side of the room?

eightbitjuan
Protege

zork2001 said:

zork2001 said:

wouldn't it be better to have the second one on the opposite side of the room?

Not exactly. For most users, having 2 sensors in front of you work great and give you a wide play area. It will limit how much you can turn, but most if not all games on the Oculus store are optimized with this setup in mind.

I have tried the 2 sensor experimental 360 degree setup and it didn't work well enough for me. Depending on your config, it might work for you, so it might be worth a shot if you haven't at least tried it.

This is coming form someone with a 3 sensor setup with a fourth on the way 😄

I also have 4 of these mounts being printed and shipped. I will update the thread with my thoughts on them:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1772848
CPU: i7 7700K, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 1070, Mobo: MSI Z270M Mortar, USB: Mobo + Inatec 4 Port Expansion Card, VR: CV1 + Touch + 2 Extra Sensors | Steam Origin Uplay Twitter: eightbitJuan

Valkyrie9
Explorer
I made two of the flat version. Works just dandy. Many thanks.

eightbitjuan
Protege

I also have 4 of these mounts being printed and shipped. I will update the thread with my thoughts on them:

I've set up my four sensors using these (printed in ABS) and they work marvelously; a great way to wall mount your sensors without needing to drill holes or use nails!
CPU: i7 7700K, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 1070, Mobo: MSI Z270M Mortar, USB: Mobo + Inatec 4 Port Expansion Card, VR: CV1 + Touch + 2 Extra Sensors | Steam Origin Uplay Twitter: eightbitJuan

Litespeed
Heroic Explorer
Do the sensors need to be mounted upright, as on the stands? Or do they work just as well mounted side wards or upside down?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Litespeed said:

Do the sensors need to be mounted upright, as on the stands? Or do they work just as well mounted side wards or upside down?

Not not sure about sideways but lots of people are using them upside down with success

Warbloke
Superstar

My front sensor is attached onto a wall mount thing which I can adjust the angle on etc....
(well.. stuck on to the wall with strong Velcro) in the corner... high up.... sideways..... angled downwards pointing into the centre of the room.

Seems fine.

edit - my other sensor is slightly behind me to my left side... that's sitting on a unit... using the original stand.

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

eightbitjuan
Protege

I've set up my four sensors using these (printed in ABS) and they work marvelously; a great way to wall mount your sensors without needing to drill holes or use nails!

Since the mounts worked so well (and I had some free time after work) I was inspired to throw together a quick video which you can find here: 

https://youtu.be/7KLHzBXoM4M