cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor tracking / tracking problem with 1.13 (single sensor setup)

xWildchildx
Explorer
Hi all,
everything was perfect before the 1.13 update, I basically play Assetto Corsa in my Playseat Challenge setup so I just move my head from a fixed position. After the 1.13 update there's something wrong with the sensor tracking, I try to explain...
My sensor is fixed and my playseat too, so the only change was the new 1.13 software.
After the update, while driving in Assetto Corsa but also in the Oculus Home, I notice that I have random wrong tracking with my head...as the sensore lose tracking for a second and then come back again.
It appears often and is really annoying while driving, as you can imagine. I have no error or notifications.

Any suggestion? Could the 1.13 new software change something on the single sensor tracking way to operate? The head movement are smooth and works also if I turn the head 180°, the problem seems to be related only on front facing oculus in the sensor direction. Everything else on my room setup it's still the same, I tried reboot, check connections several time, check "USB 3.0" in the Oculus>Settings>Device panel and everything is ok.

Thanks in advance,
Wildchild
Thermaltake Element G - Corsair TX850W - ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.5GHz (1.230V) - Noctua NH-D15 - 16GB DDR4 3.466Mhz Corsair (2x8GB) CAS16  - Samsung 950 PRO  M.2 NVMe 256GB - GTX 980Ti Inno3D iChill Black Accelero Hybrid S - Windows 10 PRO 64bit - Panasonic CXM710 50" 4K LED - Oculus Rift CV1
37 REPLIES 37

rkodey
Honored Guest
I'm also having tracking issues after the update, in Elite Dangerous.  But not all the time...  In areas of lower CPU utilization, tracking is solid.  But, going into a conflict zone where CPU increases noticeably, that's when the tracking issues started.  As soon as I left the CZ, the CPU usage dropped again, and the tracking was solid again.

So...  smooth tracking somehow bound to CPU?

(I have a 6700k @ 4.4Ghz, GTX 1080, so plenty of horsepower.)

vicpopo
Honored Guest
Hi , 

just to complete the problem for me .With assetto corsa and pcars ( with motion simulator ) the view bounces only in a vertical axis .Sometimes my head is in the car roof top ( vertical high point compareted to the normal vision ) and sometimes the view drops down just in front of the virtual wheel ( I can't view the track anymore 😕 ) , so also in a vertical axis.The distance between the both wrong points is about 70 cm ( real dimension in the virtual view ).My sensor is about 1,2 metres far from the headset just in front of it .
i5 3770k oc @ 4,2 Ghz , 16Go ram, zotax 1080 6gb win10

vicpopo
Honored Guest
i made some tests with the new release oculus debug tool and the results are below .
First with my simulator not in motion i noticed any bouncing view .i drove the Nordschlefe 8 minutes without needing to re-center the view .
With 1,5 pixel per display : 
framerate often less than 45 Hz
latency app in mition 47 ms
headroom performance : always between - 80 - 100 % ?? (don't understand the minus sign )
With no pixel per display improvement (0 i in oculus debug tool 😞 
framerate  45 Hz most of time
latency app in mition 40ms
headroom performance : always between -40 - 60 % ?? (don't understand the minus sign )

But as written no bouncing view when simulator still stays

DarkTenka
Trustee
I'm having this trouble as well. It wasn't too noticeable at first .. but now for some reason its really bad. I'm noticing it most in New Retro Arcade: Neon ... every minute or so the head tracking "bounces" for no reason even if I'm sitting completely still. I have 3 sensors, everything was working perfectly in 1.12.

I have tried multiple different setups with the sensors, can't seem to get rid of the tracking loss.

DarkTenka
Trustee

rkodey said:

I'm also having tracking issues after the update, in Elite Dangerous.  But not all the time...  In areas of lower CPU utilization, tracking is solid.  But, going into a conflict zone where CPU increases noticeably, that's when the tracking issues started.  As soon as I left the CZ, the CPU usage dropped again, and the tracking was solid again.

So...  smooth tracking somehow bound to CPU?

(I have a 6700k @ 4.4Ghz, GTX 1080, so plenty of horsepower.)

After playing a few more games, I noticed they didnt have any problems. The biggest offender is just New Retro Arcade: Neon. Considering that my NRAN is modded so that it has over 30 games emulated + Attract Screens + Attract MP3's + Custom Background Music + some 30 custom cabinet skins, it could just be that its over the top for CPU usage. I noticed that I'm only really getting the tracking loss while playing a game withing NRAN, so that highly points to some kind of CPU usage link to the tracking.

I tried setting NRAN to high priority in task manager, didnt seem to make a difference. I set the 3 OculusClient.exe's to high priority in task manager and it seemed? to improve, but it was still there. I don't know, it happens intermittently so maybe my mind was playing tricks on me making me think it was improved.

I definitely think there is something linked to CPU usage though.

My NRAN is unchanged from when 1.12 was active and it had 0 problems with 1.12.

Devastatin_Dave
Explorer
Seeing the exact same issues in elite dangerous since the update, doesn't manifest itself in much else that is super obvious, I'm running 2 sensors however so not sure if related but the "bounce" and "grey out" in ED that indicates loss of tracking are exactly what I'm experiencing.  Wish I could easily roll back, 1.12 was perfect.  

vannagirl
Consultant

Seeing the exact same issues in elite dangerous since the update, doesn't manifest itself in much else that is super obvious, I'm running 2 sensors however so not sure if related but the "bounce" and "grey out" in ED that indicates loss of tracking are exactly what I'm experiencing.  Wish I could easily roll back, 1.12 was perfect.  

the greyout i had it is apparently a driver update issue that i also had after 1.13 fixed changing to a dvi adaptor i had, it is something nvidias side but its is all as it should be now

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/501871#Comment_501871

my also stutters terrible but then it just stopped when i first updated and put the cv1 on. I will run full setup again if it comes back.

Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

rkodey
Honored Guest
I think I found a temporary solution that works for me (so far):  process affinity.

I restricted "EliteDangerous64.exe" to cores 1-6, and "OVRServer_x64.exe" to cores 7-8.  After that, the tracking problems disappeared in my first test!  I'll try a couple more test runs today to make sure it remains stable.  But, thought I'd throw this idea up to see if it helps anyone else.

Note:  I'm running 1 sensor.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I noticed for the first time that Win10  Power Management keeps swapping on it's own between Balanced, Power Saver, and Max Performance when running games. Could it be the Win10 Update at fault here?

We need a proper Oculus Tech at hand on this forum. Oculus Support are quite rubbish as they work on cue sheets like a foreign call centre.

*Nevermind. In another thread it's confirmed to be fixed in a Beta version. The Debug Tool is also now updated also.

Devastatin_Dave
Explorer

rkodey said:

I think I found a temporary solution that works for me (so far):  process affinity.

I restricted "EliteDangerous64.exe" to cores 1-6, and "OVRServer_x64.exe" to cores 7-8.  After that, the tracking problems disappeared in my first test!  I'll try a couple more test runs today to make sure it remains stable.  But, thought I'd throw this idea up to see if it helps anyone else.

Note:  I'm running 1 sensor.

Just tried this and I'm also seeing no more tracking glitches.  It was really easy to see in steamvr itself previously, the entire hmd would "grey out" for a second regularly.