cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly Poor Tracking Quality

djpeterson83
Explorer
The latest update has caused my sensor quality for both the headset and touch controls to be unreliable.  Some times my head and controllers will teleport or reorient themselves briefly.  There's also a constant, light jittering in the headset tracking that I don't recall being there.  My cameras are plugged into USB 2.0 but the software says they are connected and working fine.  If I plug the cameras into any of my six USB 3.0 ports (spread across two controllers) the Oculus service says it either can't find the cameras or the camera are plugged into unsupported USB ports.  Prior to this update, everything was working fine.  My cameras still needed to be in USB 2.0, but the jitter and teleporting was virtually non-existent.

Is this happening to others, and if so, has anyone found a workaround or any tricks to deal with this?
44 REPLIES 44

Rannybaby
Honored Guest
I have also the same issue. Underclocking my RAM did not work...

CodySheffield
Honored Guest

TwoHedWlf said:

Just chiming in, this is happening to me too on Windows 10 x64. I also have had to use USB 2.0 ports and everything was working just fine until the last update. Now when I'm in game (Elite: Dangerous), the headset occasionally "flashes" like what happens when you block the line of sight to the sensor, but it's doing it randomly with clear line of sight.

<Update> I submitted a ticket to support.

I used to get that,  noticed it would coincide with my X55's random button presses which after some googling I found out was due to drawing too much power from the USB and the voltage dropping.  Replaced it with a powered USB hub, solved both problems.

I unplugged everything but Oculus stuff just to see if it would make any difference, and it still has the problem. Wardman's video a couple of posts up looks almost exactly like what I'm experiencing (except I couldn't make out the yellow "flashes" in the video).

Edit: For the sake of being crystal clear to anyone in the support department viewing this (I was asked to make a video but I don't know how to record within Oculus), it's the random "jitter" effect as the sensor seems to drop out every couple of seconds or so.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I noticed two of these random headset jumps in dragonfront last night.  I was looking directly forward at the times it happened. I have three sensors. Last update had the random headset jumps as well. 

djpeterson83
Explorer
Sorry I didn't get back sooner (been busy and forgot about the post).  I've submitted a ticket as requested.  Thanks to everyone who has taken an interest and spoken up about this.  Glad to see I'm not alone :).  I recommend everyone issuing tickets as well.

More Info:
My room may not be the most optimal for VR, but I do have control of the lighting.  I've also tried during day and night with the lights on and off.  I haven't noticed a difference either way.  Cody Sheffield said he wasn't sure how to make a video of the Rift doing this.  I might be able to.  If I can reproduce it on video, I'll post to YouTube and post a link in this thread as well.

Also to Warman21: That looks a lot like what I'm experiencing.  The micro-stutters you experience in that video are very common.  Additionally, I'll get full teleportations where the Rift tracking will assume I'm significantly further away than where I really am.  This, like the micro-stutters, only happens for a split second, but is incredibly jarring.

I haven't been playing a lot of games with the Rift, but I've been testing it in a Unity 3D project of mine.  So it could be Unity specific as well.  My video will be from a Unity perspective.

wardman21
Honored Guest
For anyone who is running the rift off of motherboard ports or 2.0 ports. I just installed a PCI-e USB 3.0 card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G86538S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ;

It's now working properly again. If anything the tracking is even better than it ever was. I hope this helps you guys out.

PhydomiR
Honored Guest
Same issue since the last update. Was working perfect on 1.12. So I'm ruling out any hardware issues. Problem is the same as shown in the YouTube video above. Since multiple users report this issue after the last software update there has to be a issue with it. 

Mark_Andrew_Way
Honored Guest

wardman21 said:

Any info or update on this? The glitching also happens in the oculus home as well so it's not just isolated to iracing. I took a video of what's happening. I was holding my head as still as I could https://youtu.be/HV9CHuf0aaU

This is EXACTLY whats happening to me. Everything was working fine until the update, now I get this wierd jumping movement every now and then. Its very frustrating.

meanseens
Honored Guest
Same issue here, have to use usb 2.0 ports because the rift doesnt like my 3.0 ports. Was fine in 1.12 but keep getting those weird shakes now. My build is an ITX build so I can't add a USB expansion card sadly. Support has been giving me the run around basically.

ShocksVR
Superstar

wardman21 said:

For anyone who is running the rift off of motherboard ports or 2.0 ports. I just installed a PCI-e USB 3.0 card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G86538S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ;

It's now working properly again. If anything the tracking is even better than it ever was. I hope this helps you guys out.

I have a similar type of USB card (mine is the 4-port Inateck); with all 3 of my sensors registered as USB 3.0.

I was messing around with my sensor config a few days ago and forgot I had 2 of my 3 sensors plugged into the expansion card, and 1 on my mobo.  Today, I was experiencing glitchy tracking, and switched back to my default sensor config of 2 sensors on my mobo and 1 on the expansion card.  Since then the tracking has gone back to normal.

Hardware/driver info:
-- MSI HB150 (6th gen intel)w/ 1 USB controller w/ latest drivers.
-- Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe expansion card: w/ Fresco 3.6.9a drivers using the registry tweak from "Oculus Tray Tools" program (which can be found on these forums).

Hope this info might help others.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

djpeterson83
Explorer
@shockulus I was just about to try that out.  I haven't commented for a bit because I was running my cameras on USB ports that Oculus said were not supported.  I got a two-day delivery for probably the same Inateck card you got.  The USBs are now showing they are supported.  The massive teleports seem to have died down or gone away entirely, but the light jittering is still there.  I'm about to switch over to cameras on the Inateck and head set on the motherboard USB and see if that helps.  Be back soon!

QUICK UPDATE:
Looks like the headset is OK with my onboard USB 3.0 (even though it's technically not supported).  I'm getting a green light in the Rift device settings.  Now to see if that helped the jitter...

LAST UPDATE:
So it seems to be working better.  The jitter is less.  However, I did have a sensor disconnect.  The disconnects seem to be rarer now.

Here's my final setup:
 - Inateck 4-port USB Controller (Fresco)
 - Sensors plugged into Inateck USB Controller
 - Headset plugged into motherboard USB 3.0
 - Experimental Camera Sensor Mode

The jitter in not gone, however!  I did manage to take a video show casing the jitter some more.  The application running is a Unity project of mine.  I haven't done anything weird to it - just clicked the "Enable VR" checkbox in the player.  I'm using a standard assets player controller which has only been tweaked to change what inputs are used to control it, but otherwise doesn't mess with the collider or camera position in any way.

In the video below, the rubber-banding from top right to bottom left is not me.  This is the sensor acting weird.  I don't know what is causing this but it's a bit jarring when in an experience.

Video Link here:

https://youtu.be/v_1TuCntDFE