New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DON'T BUY THE RIFT ON EBAY

moltonmolton Posts: 388
Hiro Protagonist
edited December 2013 in General
There are people buying up Oculus Rifts so they can sell them Marked up to $400-700, half the reason why the wait time is unknown is likely due to these kinds of entrepenuer parasites, please do not support them, you will only be feeding into the problem, and we'll see this happen with all emerging VR related hardware.

Comments

• KamusKamus Posts: 126
    Hiro Protagonist
    You are blowing this WAY out of proportion.

If people don't want to wait for whatever reason, that's their choice to make. They might just have lots of money, or are actual developers who need one, or an extra one ASAP.

The wait time was about a month and 10 days for me (i just received an e-mail that says my order should be processing in the next couple of days) And while the wait has sucked. I just didn't want to pay a premium to have it "RIGHT NOW".

But if people want to cut in line and pay extra, that's their choice.
    I for one am glad I exercised patience (I'm pretty bad at it usually :P) since i should be getting mine very soon.

The bottom line for me was: I'm not a developer, so i couldn't justify the "HAVE IT NOW" premium for what is basically an alpha version of what's to come.
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 776
    3Jane
    Are you trying to say that people buy hard-to-get items just to turn around and sell them for twice the price on eBay?

I'm shocked.
  • moltonmolton Posts: 388
    Hiro Protagonist
    The way I see it, Oculus Rift deserves my money, not somebody with a bunch of money with a quick way to make a bunch of money off the Oculus Rift team's hard work and effort. It's feeding into the problem to buy from these ebay retailers (I've seen some go on bid for reasonable prices at least) If nobody buys from them, they won't buy any more to sell back to people, problem solved.
  • Brian123Brian123 Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2013
    I can understand the concern, especially those early days when preorders were not shipping and kickstarter shipments sold for a premium. Though, I just did a search and found only 12 auctions, so I'm not sure I see a problem. If there were 50-100, maybe. Considering how many pre-orders are shipping these days, plus how many already exist, the few for sale seems normal, plus a little bit of demand drives up the price. There are going to be legit buyers that just can't stomach it, don't care for it, or kickstarter backers who's financial situation or dev-priorities changed after the long wait.

Also, not much to be made with current prices vs level of risk (haven't checked completed auctions though). The rift after taxes/shipping is roughly around $330-$340, just to break even on Ebay you probably need to sell it for $400 due to high Ebay/Paypal double dip fees. Plus if you want insurance/signature on shipping to protect you, you pay that yourself, ebay only lets you include the basic shipping cost, that adds another $6-$10.

So it doesn't seem like a gold mine. If you were to order one now to sell on ebay, you'd be giving Oculus your money up front, wait possibly several months, and if it sells for $450, you might pocket $50. Very risky at this point, as it seems pre-orders are shipping faster now, which will drive down prices. So when you finally get it, you'll might lose money and can't return it.

I bought mine off Craigslist and cancelled my preorder. Turns out the guy is a developer, plus a kickstarter backer. He waited forever to get it a couple months ago since kickstart. Sadly, he only used it for 30 minutes because of how sick it made him. After such a long wait, his focus is now on AR (Google Glass) and has no time to develop for the Rift. He charged a fair price, $400 with a Hydra, even let me test it to be sure it worked. If he had sold it on ebay, he'd have to sell it much higher to get the same money. And he was considering ebay, but went with Craigslist first.
  • trudgetrudge Posts: 19
    I have a feeling that even if there wasn't a *single* Rift sold on ebay we would still be waiting just about the same. In all honesty I don't get worked up about people doing that kind of thing. To a certain degree they are giving people who have the means the chance to get what they want when they want it. Also it's good for the economy ;)
  • CaptainGeechCaptainGeech Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    This guy is gonna have an aneurysm and I'm enjoying every second of it. :lol:
  • stuttestutte Posts: 35
    For goodness sake man, step away from the internet for a while and take a break.
    --Order Date: July 19th --- Order#: 061XXX --- Location: United States --- Status: ARRIVED!--
  • KamusKamus Posts: 126
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 2013
    molton wrote:
    If nobody buys from them, they won't buy any more to sell back to people, problem solved

Great, how is that working out for you? I'm glad you have solved the problem of supply and demand by making a post about it here on the OVR forums... But seriously:
    eBay is simply a reflection of the current state of supply and demand of the rift, and once they sort out the supply problem, eBay will reflect it immediately with lower prices. And in the case of used rifts, the price will obviously be even lower than new boxed products, since who in their right mind would pay more for a used item than a new one if it's just as readily available?

I'm going to be blunt here:
    If you don't want to wait, stop complaining and do something about it, pull the trigger already by buying one on eBay or craigslist if it's really as urgent as you make it sound.
    And if you don't want to pay extra for having it... Just wait like the rest of us.
  • dean7878dean7878 Posts: 42
    molton wrote:
    entrepenuer parasites,

People are trying to make a profit. What's the world coming to?
  • MrGeddingsMrGeddings Posts: 604
    Art3mis
    this thread is useless. it happens. i actually bought two on ebay and i am happy with them (one broke but it was my fault)
    they are not crooks it is simple supply and demand the only offical way to get a rift is through Oculus VR though you will have to wait , if you want one now you have to pay more through ebay. and honestly the prices have come down a bit. i was able to get my replacement right for 200 bucks less then i paid orginally (and a hydra with it)

you get what you pay for. i think this thread is pointless and i am reporting it as it serves no purpose. and for a indy studio who wants one now and does not wish to wait, a few hundred dollers more is nothing compared to what you get :-).
  • You always have to look out for people that wish to do something else. Make anything for people to us and there will be someone that will find another use.

Some people want the Rift for gaming, others remote control, I am sure some want it so they can tell you about it (reviewers) and then there are the E-bay guys....

Oculus just needs to make more, plain and simple. How much would you pay to speed up this wait time? Shockingly, it is a service not provided by OculusVR and so they will solve it for you at a cost.
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    I get that it's a bummer to have to wait and seeing the only other option is paying higher prices on eBay, but once everyone has their Rift in hand, they'll probably look back on this as pretty funny. The wait is just too much for some.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    This is obviously going to happen with a item that is in high demand and short supply.

It's a free market. What can you do?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • KBKKBK Posts: 983
    Art3mis
    I'm gonna have a beer. A beer that someone manufactured to have a profit. It's a good one too. Then I'm going to to the place I was told not to go, I'm going to step into Ravenholm.

(Or maybe I'll break down and try to figure out how to get Doom 3 up and going...or...)

Maybe I'll think about selling my second rift on eBay, the one which I only opened to do a quick 5 minute operational test on - for a few extra bucks.

Nah.
    Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
  • WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    KBK wrote:
    Then I'm going to to the place I was told not to go, I'm going to step into Ravenholm.

Hah, funny, I just stopped playing at Ravenholm, opened my browser and read this :lol:
  • yuanxiaoyuyuanxiaoyu Posts: 142
    the ebay auctions offers a oppurtunity for people to skip the long wait lines by paying up a premium;
    nothing wrong about that

it all comes down to if someone is willing to pay 100-200$ more to save 20 days of wait
  • ZimtowerZimtower Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    I bet OP bought one on ebay and the average price dropped.
  • sigmundsigmund Posts: 19
    DeadlyJoe wrote:
    Are you trying to say that people buy hard-to-get items just to turn around and sell them for twice the price on eBay?

I'm shocked.

:lol:
  • sigmundsigmund Posts: 19
    Isn't this how every kid makes money nowadays?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,396 Volunteer Moderator
    This is obviously going to happen with a item that is in high demand and short supply.

It's a free market. What can you do?

Oculus could offer a more expensive option with faster shipping. :)

It worked for OpenPandora, although that was a very different and complicated situation, offering queue jumping for a price actually sped up delivery for the people jumped over too (so everyone benefited).
  • vrvr Posts: 10
    yuanxiaoyu wrote:
    the ebay auctions offers a oppurtunity for people to skip the long wait lines by paying up a premium;
    nothing wrong about that

it all comes down to if someone is willing to pay 100-200$ more to save 20 days of wait

Exactly, I bought my one also there, got in 2 days and was happy. Since I live in Europe I was afraid that shipping takes a month or two especially when it needs to go through the customs.
  • The sad thing is that some people think this is a bad thing. Listen people: For everyone single one of those headsets, Oculus VR has gotten paid. To suggest that those Ebay sellers should not be allowed to profit is like saying that Athletes Foot should not be allowed to profit from selling Nikes. There is nothing even remotely shady about it.
  • To suggest that those Ebay sellers should not be allowed to profit is like saying that Athletes Foot should not be allowed to profit from selling Nikes. There is nothing even remotely shady about it.

Yeah! Down with those capitalist fungi!!! :lol:
  • CgpnzCgpnz Posts: 455
    edited September 2013
    More power to those who gain from others' ignorance and desire.

I have put mine in storage as I further develop asset creation tools.
    My first use was to experience the immersion. Despite the lack of immerse due
    to fov tunnel vision (for us frankenrifters with eyes at the back of our heads),
    its so cool to look at your creations inside them rather than
    through a window.
  • molton wrote:
    There are people buying up Oculus Rifts so they can sell them Marked up to $400-700, half the reason why the wait time is unknown is likely due to these kinds of entrepenuer parasites, please do not support them, you will only be feeding into the problem, and we'll see this happen with all emerging VR related hardware.

Change religion for opinion:

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1351402227568_3602178.png

I think this an excellent non direct advertising for the product that doesn´t harm the company at this rate, but also think that the company never will say something to condone this.

sorry for my english
  • FritoFrito Posts: 924
    NerveGear
    molton wrote:

Thats the best publicity Oculus can get for free bro, not bad at all
  • I assume OP has been ripped to shreds on this, but I'll chime in as well. I'm considering buying a Rift for 2x the cost on Ebay for 2 reasons:

1. If Oculus cares they can manufacture more Rift's to fill the demand
    2. THIS IS A DEV KIT. It's not a consumer kit. Oculus manufactures these things with the idea that actual DEVELOPERS are going to be the one's using them. Technically we shouldnt even be allowed access to the things. Oculus isnt making some huge profit on the sale of Rift's through the dev store. The only reason they even grant the general community access to the thing is because it has been proven there is a lot of good free talent out there in the world who can and will take advantage of this tech to help contribute new ideas in the future. Basically any one of us could end up making the best use of it outside of any huge developer, so might as well let the indie crowd get their hands on it. Sony/Microsoft/Whoever have no interest in operating this way because they have a brand image to uphold and dont want to sour peoples taste with flawed devices, because lets face it, the Rift is still hugely flawed. Big business cant use the public to beta test, but a small company like Oculus can.

Anyway OP seems to think that Ebay sellers are hurting Oculus business, but they arent. Oculus isnt in the business of selling Rift's right now. They are still in the design/implementation stage. And getting the Rift into MORE hands is exactly what they need, regardless of the source.
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    That's an interesting post, uviuar. If you want to get a Rift ASAP and decide to pay eBay prices, that's up to you, but I disagree with your logic for doing so. If you buy a Rift direct and you're not a developer, you're not taking a kit away from one. Anyone who wants a rift, dev or otherwise will have the chance to get one. There's no finite amount. Oculus has said many times that this isn't for consumers, but if you insist...go ahead and buy one. It's still money going to the company. It's still more Rifts in the hands of people who will help spread the word.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • CgpnzCgpnz Posts: 455
    uviuar you are overblowing it.

There are now enough rifts out to satisfy getting to developers.
    Continued production of low res can in fact be good for those with
    moderate gpu as such. So it could be good for ps3/ps4 etc. High res
    will require next gen (current crop) gpus.

The more consumers buy it the better, with the knowledge something
    better will come along a year from now???
  • Cgpnz wrote:
    The more consumers buy it the better, with the knowledge something
    better will come along a year from now???

Wait, isn't uviuar saying the same thing?