cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breach - a short survival horror game for the Rift

Jeppe
Honored Guest
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[DOWNLOAD HERE!] Here's a YouTube video showing gameplay from Breach.

The readme contains some useful info and can be found here.

DOWNLOAD LINKS

The installer is 187 MB and can be downloaded from these mirrors.

[Torrent]

[Mirror 1] (Dropbox, direct download)

[Mirror 2] (Google, direct download)

[Mirror 3]

We hope you will enjoy the game! 🙂
39 REPLIES 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Jeppe" wrote:
regularslinky: Wow, that's quite a coincidence! It's like it's haunted... Did your team also get these weird dreams and visions after the development of your Breach? 😉 Your game looks great (getting some Penumbra-vibes from the screenshot), is it available for download anywhere?

lol now that you mention it I have been getting nightmares, and strange messages written in blood on my bedroom walls...

Thanks 🙂 I've been meaning to polish it up a bit and release it as a rift demo at some point. It's a bit rough around the edges at the moment, not half as good as yours :E. As soon as I get round to doing that I'll post it here (under a new name :P). You'll be onto Breach 2 by then lol.

Dysheekie
Explorer
I have a question - as the developer, do you get scared playing your own game? Or does the act of coding, seeing the 3D models, knowing what's coming, etc... give you a certain tolerance?

MatiasP
Honored Guest
"Dysheekie" wrote:
I have a question - as the developer, do you get scared playing your own game? Or does the act of coding, seeing the 3D models, knowing what's coming, etc... give you a certain tolerance?

Interesting question.

Can someone be scared with his own creation?

dghost
Honored Guest
I managed to last for about 5 minutes before the atmosphere alone got to me.

Current Quake II VR stable release: 1.3.1 DK2 support: see this post

VRoom
Honored Guest
As in The Gallery, when I look around in Breach, the world seems to skew (deform) a bit on the edges, like looking through a magnifying glass. I'm not sure what is the problem, but it might be the wrong IPD... Is there some config tool, to set IPD?

Jeppe
Honored Guest
Dysheekie: Definitely! Screams were heard from the dev team on multiple occasions 😉 Since the "scary element" patrols the ship one can never now when it will show up, and this kept even the dev team on edge when playing.

VRoom: That sounds strange... you could try to increase the FOV manually and see if that helps with the problem. To set FOV, open up the game, press TAB and enter:

FOV 105

... or any other FOV value that you wish.

Raven
Protege
Any chance of a Mac build?

VRoom
Honored Guest
Thank for the help Jeppe. Sadly the FOV thing didn't do anything. I couldn't see any changes, when I applied different FOVs...

I just got some VR legs now, so I was able to play it anyway. This was my first horror game in the Rift, so when the thing got me the first time it sent shivers down my spine. Literary! Never felt anything like that in a computer game (or movie). The closes thing was playing Silent Hill 2 on PS2 all those years ago. I got pretty used to horror games since then, so they don't scare me much anymore. This however... :shock:

I really like the environment, especially narrow claustrophobic corridors. I did wish however, there would be more variety and more stuff to look at. That's the thing I enjoy in VR the most.
Anyway, great work!

Rambowjo
Honored Guest
"VRoom" wrote:
As in The Gallery, when I look around in Breach, the world seems to skew (deform) a bit on the edges, like looking through a magnifying glass. I'm not sure what is the problem, but it might be the wrong IPD... Is there some config tool, to set IPD?

Seems that his is caused by incorrect resolution, something that is typical with UDK demos, since there isn't really any simple way to set up resolution. Go into Breach/UDKGame/Config and open "DefaultSystemSettings.ini" in notepad, find the lines

ResX=1280
ResY=720

And set them to your desired resolution, preferably something that is 16:10. I use 1920x1200.

Played this game a little bit, loving how much actual spaceship you've built. A lot of demos seem to just have a room or two and some silly mechanic.

That said, the layout is not very Rift friendly, since you're constantly taking 90° turns. That combined with the high movement speed, I just ended up holding my head completely still and relying on my mouse to look around.

The scares were awesome, perhaps a little loud. What I'd love to see is some kind of aggro mechanic, where the monster and the player both become aware of each other roughly at the same time, and then the chase begins, with the player only being a little bit faster than the monster. Add in some mechanic where doors will jam every now and then, and you've got a gold game!

przecinek
Rising Star
Just tried it. Changing DefaultSystemSettings.ini settings as Rambowjo suggested does help a lot. It's quite dark so at first I didn't notice there are places to explore other than first room that you enter.

I like the atmosphere, and the scares 😄 Hope to see more.