cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SpaceEngine

SpaceEngineer
Explorer

Hi there! I am Vladimir Romanyuk aka "SpaceEngineer", here my project called SpaceEngine. It is a 3D space simulator with procedural Universe generation. It features real-scale planets with 3D landscape, physically based generation of solar systems, real-scale generation of galaxies and entire Universe structure. All transitions are seamless, you can land on any planet and explore it, then take off and fly to another galaxy. Known astronomical objects are also here, including ultra-high resolution textures for Solar system planets and moons (20+ gigs, available as separate download).

This engine is in a form of a free space exploration planetarium, but I am going to make a game based on it. It will feature realistic physics and exploration based gameplay. More info on the forum (look for a sticky threads). Space ships are already implemented, with basic physics and controls.

Website and forum: http://en.spaceengine.org/

Main program: download (960 Mb)
Hi-res Solar system textues: coming soon

Trailer:

This version should work with Oculus Rift DK1. I have only DK1, but I tried to make DK2 support by feedback from beta testers. Here is a relatively old dev video for DK1 (warning it may make you sick iw watch in Rift):

To run in Oculus, first switch it to the extended desktop mode. Then run SpaceEngine, fly there a bit using monitor 🙂 Learn controls, they are easy: WASD + left mouse drag mouse to move, mouse wheel changes speed, click to select object, G key to fly to it (double G for faster flight), and F2 key to bring up the planets list (left and right mouse click to navigate). Advanced controls including speedup and reverse the time flow: JKL and Space keys. You always can use a toolbars, but in Oculus you probably will close them. After this, configure a joystick. Needed actions are move, rotare and chage the speed (very important!).

Then go to Display settings menu (Ctrl-F8) and choose Oculus Rift mode. Moving the window to the Rift is easy: just hit Shift-Enter. Don't forget to toggle fullscreen (Alt-Enter). To move the window back, hit Shift-Enter again. Note that mouse cursor must be in the window to allow rotation and GUI navigation.

If SE crashes on attempt to enable Oculus mode. So you are have AMD graphics card, aren't you? Try to disable mipmaps generation for the framebuffer texture. Open the config/user.cfg and change these parameters to false:
EnableMipmapsGUI false
EnableMipmapsFrame false
EnableMipmapsWarp false
The last parameter could fix crashes on approaching black holes, neutron stars and white dwarfs. Disabling mipmaps reduces quality, but at least fixes crashes.
PS: does anybody know how to implement a CRASH FREE manual shader-based mipmaps generation on ATI on OpenGL? I had a problems with it since the beginning.

There a lot of things what should be done for perfect support of the Rift. The main task is obtaining a DK2, but this is hard because I live in Russia - the country where Oculus did not ship their devices. Other issues are bad tracking latency and lack of direct mode support. I using OpenGL in SpaceEngine and can't make it work in direct mode. Lack of good OpenGL example code is also an issue. Also this release was built with 0.4.3 SDK, because I has weird glitches with the 0.4.4. Interface should be completely reworked to use in Rift, this probably will be made in the next version.

But anyway experience in Rift is just amazing. I hope a nice feedback from this community. Enjoy!
115 REPLIES 115

Hornet
Protege
Hi Space Engineer, SE is amazing piece of software. It must be popularised and it will be really famous with the time. You are happy man !  
 I am used SE with my DK2 and it was amazing, but now with CV1 i cannot use it , i cannot find it on Steam have no code... I dont know what i can do that i can it test with CV1 now. My current oculus runtime is new (1.7 or 1.8, i dont know exactly). Can you help me. Thanks СПОСИБО. 

carlmessy
Honored Guest
Oh man I am dying to try this out!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Manav08 said:

I'll test this out for you! I ran it via STEAM without any setting and changed it to VR mode in main and menu and then put on my CV1

In this case (default settings) SE first checks if Oculus SDK exist, and start in native Oculus mode. But I asking about testing in SteamVR mode (VRRuntime 2). Does Oculus works in SE through SteamVR, not through native Oculus driver?

How would I check this? It doesn't show up in Steam VR if that helps....

SpaceEngineer
Explorer
>How would I check this? It doesn't show up in Steam VR if that helps....
In SpaceEngine config file. It can be found here:
<Steam folder>\SteamApps\common\SpaceEngine\config\main-user.cfg

Hodders67
Protege

Hi Space Engineer how do I go about having a look at your very interesting software? ive looked on steam and its not visible

Oculurmaster
Honored Guest
Hello, can someone tell me if "Space Engine" works with the latest Oculus Software, because i get an error not detecting the HMD.

cheers,
J

flexy123
Superstar
This is deader than dead. I am checking back since....forever..and it's still 0.9.8.2 and doesn't support CV1.

SpaceEngineer
Explorer
Project is not dead, it is in a closed beta test stage on Steam. It supports HTC Vive and CV1 (but not Touch - I haven't the hardware). Latest released version on the website is 0.9.8.0, it using Oculus runtime 0.8.

FieldOfVision
Heroic Explorer
This looks really promising! Keep up the good work! 

Latest VR game: Crazy Kung Fu
Other games: www.FieldOf.Vision

jakob091
Explorer
Sorry for the lil bump, but if we wanna try Space Engine in VR (CV1), do we need to downgrade to a 0.8 runtime is that correct? I really enjoyed SE and couldn't wait to try it in VR but as many, I cannot run it with up-to-date software.