cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DON'T BUY THE RIFT ON EBAY

molton
Explorer
There are people buying up Oculus Rifts so they can sell them Marked up to $400-700, half the reason why the wait time is unknown is likely due to these kinds of entrepenuer parasites, please do not support them, you will only be feeding into the problem, and we'll see this happen with all emerging VR related hardware.
58 REPLIES 58

MrGeddings
Explorer
this thread is useless. it happens. i actually bought two on ebay and i am happy with them (one broke but it was my fault)
they are not crooks it is simple supply and demand the only offical way to get a rift is through Oculus VR though you will have to wait , if you want one now you have to pay more through ebay. and honestly the prices have come down a bit. i was able to get my replacement right for 200 bucks less then i paid orginally (and a hydra with it)

you get what you pay for. i think this thread is pointless and i am reporting it as it serves no purpose. and for a indy studio who wants one now and does not wish to wait, a few hundred dollers more is nothing compared to what you get :-).

scottmana
Honored Guest
You always have to look out for people that wish to do something else. Make anything for people to us and there will be someone that will find another use.

Some people want the Rift for gaming, others remote control, I am sure some want it so they can tell you about it (reviewers) and then there are the E-bay guys....

Oculus just needs to make more, plain and simple. How much would you pay to speed up this wait time? Shockingly, it is a service not provided by OculusVR and so they will solve it for you at a cost.

snappahead
Expert Protege
I get that it's a bummer to have to wait and seeing the only other option is paying higher prices on eBay, but once everyone has their Rift in hand, they'll probably look back on this as pretty funny. The wait is just too much for some.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

cybereality
Grand Champion
This is obviously going to happen with a item that is in high demand and short supply.

It's a free market. What can you do?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

KBK
Protege
I'm gonna have a beer. A beer that someone manufactured to have a profit. It's a good one too. Then I'm going to to the place I was told not to go, I'm going to step into Ravenholm.

(Or maybe I'll break down and try to figure out how to get Doom 3 up and going...or...)

Maybe I'll think about selling my second rift on eBay, the one which I only opened to do a quick 5 minute operational test on - for a few extra bucks.

Nah.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Walky
Explorer
"KBK" wrote:
Then I'm going to to the place I was told not to go, I'm going to step into Ravenholm.

Hah, funny, I just stopped playing at Ravenholm, opened my browser and read this :lol:

yuanxiaoyu
Honored Guest
the ebay auctions offers a oppurtunity for people to skip the long wait lines by paying up a premium;
nothing wrong about that

it all comes down to if someone is willing to pay 100-200$ more to save 20 days of wait

Zimtower
Expert Protege
I bet OP bought one on ebay and the average price dropped.

sigmund
Honored Guest
"DeadlyJoe" wrote:
Are you trying to say that people buy hard-to-get items just to turn around and sell them for twice the price on eBay?

I'm shocked.

:lol:

sigmund
Honored Guest
Isn't this how every kid makes money nowadays?