cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram frequency affects rift tracking.

UnFknBLievable
Expert Protege
i have a high end system running perfectly fine, stable and fast (i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz, gskill 3000mhz ddr4, GTX1080, win 10 and Asus z170-AR motherboard.

only adjusting the memory frequency between default factory speed (3000mhz) and underclocking it down to 2144mhz, why does the tracking system of the rift go from being unstable and often unplayable to flawless?

oculus can you look into this please? 
58 REPLIES 58

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
I understand (I never change my factory timings), but the timings that are set by the manufacturers are different for each of their mem stick products (most of the time. once the tech starts becoming ubiquitous at the same speed/level, the timings tend to become closer to the same across the board). Even though we both may have XMP profiles for 3000 MHz on our sticks, the timings could be completely different due to the manufacturer's settings. (I learned this the hard way a couple years ago when I bought what I thought was fast RAM rated to go @ 2400 MHz, but due to the timing settings at it's rated 2400 Mhz, it was actually slower, and less stable, than when I ran it at 1600 MHz in real world application)
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

UnFknBLievable
Expert Protege
Did another test run in War Thunder, Iracing and Assetto Corsa with XMP enabled (performance ram timing) with Frequency at 2133mhz and ran stable.

Again - Why is Ram frequency effecting the stability of tracking performance!?!?!?!?

dougchism
Expert Protege
I just ran several games using my new box, with 3200Mhz GSkill sticks, XMP enabled and verified in HW monitor and tracking was fine. 

dougchism
Expert Protege

Directly off the Asus website.

4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4
3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3333(O.C.)/3300(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)
MHz Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs. 
* Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

So yes, it does support my memory speed. If it didn't, I wouldn't have selected it when I purchased it and it certainly wouldn't support it in the BIOS.

Were your sticks on the QVL list for that board? Just having the same timing speeds may not be enough. 

Also, my last ASUS motherboard, a Z77 sabertooth, could not run XMP enabled even with sticks that were on its compatibility list. XMP was pretty new back then so it was pretty common.

The MSI board I am using now is actually the first computer I have owned with no XMP issues ( yet ). 

flexy123
Superstar
You may first want to do a general speed test of you ram, use Aida64 --> Cache and Memory Benchmark, to see whether there is any issues with your ram/timings. (I mean you already said your system is stable, so I am taking that you tested stability already).

If your ram with Aida is indeed FASTER than at stock (and obviously this is XMP's purpose)....YET this would introduce problems with tracking, it must be some timing issue with Oculus softare. Or that possibly some other frequency in your bios is too far off and messes with timings, but this just a guess.

Powerus
Protege
OMG I have terrible unplayable tracking and I have XMP enabled. I'll tell you if turning it off changed something.

EDIT: OK it's either worse or unchanged but certainly not better. Completely unplayable.

UnFknBLievable
Expert Protege
I have just done some more testing.
XMP timing enabled, ram FREQUENCY is the only variable.
2133mhz - stable, flawless.
2400mhz - stable, flawless.
2700mhz - noticeable jittering but tracking was fine.
3000mhz - bad tracking, errors, warping, ect.

Can someone from oculus please give some kind of explaination? My system is 100% stable and as Flexy123 suggested, I ran Aida64 with no issues, errors or loss of performance at full factory clock speed (3000mhz). Timing is not the problem, the Frequency is affecting my tracking.

dougchism
Expert Protege
I am not trying to sound like a jerk but I dont think you can expect Oculus to debug your motherboard/memory problems. Just run it at 2400 and be happy. 

edmg
Trustee

My system is 100% stable

Clearly it isn't. 

The most likely explanation, since it happens when overclocking the RAM, is that memory errors are causing the tracking to fail. The Rift cameras are presumably doing DMA to a block of RAM sixty times a second or more, and the overclocked RAM can't handle it.

VRoaaar
Protege
Run OCCT with every RAM frequency to see if your system is really stable or not. Run each test at least 30 minutes or more. See here.