cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Setup: KB2670838 and KB3033929 required, but already installed

paranoidcoder
Explorer
So i'm trying to run the Oculus setup, however, every time I try it will not allow me to continue because i do not have the windows updates KB2670838 and KB3033929, but I do have them installed!

The setup file i grabbed from here:
https://www.oculus.com/en-us/setup/

And I've verified through Windows "Installed updates" that both of those updates are present on my Windows 7 machine.

Against my better judgement, I even went through and uninstalled the windows updates, and installed them again, but this problem still persists!

Help? I've been trying to get this thing to work for the last 6 hours!
82 REPLIES 82

kalliasx
Honored Guest
I've never been so infuriated with a piece of software... Oculus is now at the top of my list of shittiest company on the surface of this planet. I bought DK1 (for which you dropped like an old sock, it's a paperweight now, thanks!), DK2 and now CV1, and every time I try to install it, something goes wrong, every time. I've had it. 

BrokenSymmetry
Heroic Explorer
It ran fine for the majority of us... So maybe a little more patience? Software at this scale in its early age is no doubt buggy. It takes some time.

scone
Honored Guest
I was having similar issues with the Oculus installer. Windows Update started hanging on "checking for updates," I tried installing the hotfixes manually, and OculusSetup claims they're not there. Re-running the manual installers would abort saying they were already installed.

I ended up trying every trick in the book (mostly from this post https://www.howisolve.com/checking-for-updates-stuck-solved-windows-7-sp-1-8-1-10/) and still no luck.

For some reason I tried changing my update settings. I had selected no automatic updates (bottom, not recommended option) when first installing. Then I guess SP1 set that to auto-install. The hang on checking for updates started happening right after installing SP1, so I think that's probably what did it.

Anyway, I switched back to no automatic updates and almost immediately the check finished and I was able to click Install. I've been installing updates ever since. It's back to the usual song and dance of check all, install, reboot, check for updates, repeat. Probably on my 10th restart... Thanks Microsoft.

I'll reply back if I ever get the installer to work.

Davidwandr
Honored Guest

So there is a trick to skip that part of the setup. Open the command prompt (and navigate to the folder where the setup file exists) and run this:
OculusSetup.exe /bypassHotfixCheck
However, if the hotfixes *are* missing you will have lots of problems after that point.

Awesome thanks for the help.  everyone pls note this is Case Sensitive.  does not work otherwise...type exactly as cybereality says. 

lepter
Protege

Davidwandr said: 

So there is a trick to skip that part of the setup. Open the command prompt (and navigate to the folder where the setup file exists) and run this:
However, if the hotfixes *are* missing you will have lots of problems after that point.

Awesome thanks for the help.  everyone pls note this is Case Sensitive.  does not work otherwise...type exactly as cybereality says. 

great advice. oculus really need to sort this though. my rift would be an expensive door stop without this advice. 

lepter
Protege

pray tell.....what kind of problems will happen? i had to do the bypass hotfix thing to get the software just to install after spending 600 pound oon this thing!  what else is abuyer supposed to do? oculus really need to get this sorted out. i wouldn't buy a car only to discover i need to push it around to get anywere. i skipped the hotfix check and it works. if you knowits a problem, get a patch out or something. 

its a great peice of tech but this will put off alot of buyers. 

bo3b
Expert Protege
Just noting that this is a still a problem today.  

Was testing a full reinstall as required by Oculus Support, and ran into this again.  This is for a fresh install of Win7 about a month ago.

One tidbit that might be related is that I used the sort-of SP2 convenience rollup update to bypass the 24 hours of updates.  

If anyone ever looks into this problem, that would be a scenario to test.

bo3b
Expert Protege
So, it doesn't look like the installer supports Win7 at all anymore, not directly anyway. 

I just did a bare-metal install of Windows 7, and let it go through the normal update cycle through Windows Update, not using the rollup.

I still get the blocking error about missing KB2670838, which is false.  

This is part of the Windows installation itself, and does not show up in the "Installed Updates."  Other software that also requires this updates also succeeds.

It looks to me like you have no choice but to run the cmd line, as Oculus seems uninterested in fixing this problem.

bo3b
Expert Protege
More details.  

When the Windows Update KB4015549 (April Rollup) is installed, that locks out the KB3033929 required update.  The KB3033929 is apparently included as part of the rollup, but is no longer visible.  

It is both installed so that manually attempting to install will say it is already installed, but also not-installed, because it does not show in Installed Updates, and Oculus setup cannot see it.

That means that anybody doing complete windows updates is going to get the error message about needing the KB updates when doing Oculus install.  And need to use the cmd /bypassHotfixCheck approach.

If you manually install KB3033929 and KB2670838 *before* the rollup, it all works correctly.

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's good to know. Thanks for following up.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV