cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
42 REPLIES 42

HiThere_
Superstar
Looks nice, I think what I would like to answer my too many questions that words can't really answer, is an access to a limited free demo such as :
- A demo where you can only open 2 virtual players, to check if I have a use for more then 1 virtual player at a time.
- A demo where you can only select ~2 videos,~2 pictures and 2 musics, to better understand first hand how it works, how convenient it is to use, what features are available/missing from the full version, check for media format compatibility and system requirements...

Questions :
- Can it auto-skip to the next picture/video/music in a RANDOM order ?
- Does it have web streaming (youtube...) ?
- Does it have hand controller support (or just headset acting as a 2D mouse) ?
- Can't you already open multiple VR players (for cheaper), and do a lot more then just that, with Oculus Store applications like "Bigscreen" and "Virtual Desktop" ?

First opinion based on trailer only :
- Might work as a simplified self-contained alternative to a full virtual desktop, focused on watching multiple 2D media with less hassle and lower system requirements then doing it on a full virtual desktop.

AVOlight
Protege
Hey Cyril, yes sorry I wasn't sure I should post that link here; it's coming soon to the Oculus store.

Yes there's a demo ready, it's just waiting on review; it's limited by 2 screens, and no save/load space (which is just a set of screens, nothing special yet).

RANDOM shuffle: yes, it works, but it needs some polish
web streaming: most of all development has gone into offline media files; however, it can play youtube videos, but not live ones
hand controller support: Oculus Touch is required and supported for the Oculus Store version
free/less expensive alternatives: yes, haven't tried "Bigscreen" but I have used "Virtual Desktop". AVOlight.Space is just a player; it doesn't do all the other cool things a virtual desktop app can do.

Thank you Cyril for your questions, and for sharing your opinion on the trailer. Yes, it's all about being focused on the player aspect.
Let me know if you want to try the demo early and I'll message you a key.

HiThere_
Superstar
Truth is it's not like I need the web streaming myself, not unless you add speech based search to spare me the hassle of having to type out a stream search on a virtual keyboard...

Since I know it's on already on it's way, I will just wait a bit more to try out the demo once it has passed it's review, thank you 🙂

PS : I spared you the comment on the pricing, because someone else won't soon enough ^^

AVOlight
Protege
After selecting the address input field one can use Ctrl + v. Currently no development time has gone into virtual keyboards or speech recognition.

Pricing:
The main reason is development resources, as you've mentioned there are other apps that can achieve similar results; so it's important to me personally that the differences be so great that one must smile in delight.   😄

wicketnezz
Explorer
How many virtual media windows can be opened at once?  I am curious about the app, but I am not sure at this time if there's enough to it that makes me want to use it more than Virtual Desktop.  That's not saying the app is bad, but just some feedback.

AVOlight
Protege
Hey wicketnezz, the demo has a limit of 2, and the full version has no limit, so it depends on your computer and the files being opened. Thank you for your feedback, I've started doing research into adding windows from the desktop.
Please let me know what you think of the demo if you have the time.
Cheers,
Nicklas

HiThere_
Superstar
As expected the review went fast...

But so far I haven't been able to download the demo, even after rebooting windows it just doesn't download anything and it's folder remains empty.

AVOlight
Protege
Thank you Cyril for letting me know! I missed something; the download should work now.

HiThere_
Superstar
The download works now.

- It's the first time I use a multi-screen media viewer in VR, so it's instantly visually impressive.

- I think one reason I was instantly impressed by the visuals, was also because I was using hand controllers to move the windows around : The (single) media viewers I've been using so far only use 2D like gamepad controls.

-
It disappointed me that the content wasn't sorted alphabetically by
default, at least the drives and folder names, but I understand it might be a performance issue (when sorting a ton of media files), that the option to sort them exists, and that you can save your media viewer environment so it stays sorted.

- I wasn't able to figure out how to separate the UI from it's window by myself, but was able to read how to do it from the download page (hold trigger+grip together).

- I think the two Touch thumbsticks are vastly under used (maybe because HTC Vive controllers don't have them) : I'd like to control the size, the curve, and the distance from me to the screen with thumbstick controls, and with room for one more option (counting two options per thumbstick), use the last thumbstick option to instantly skip forward/backward to the next alphabetical (or random) media in the folder (meaning the basic feature of being able to skip through a ton of media with the swift press of a single physical control, which most VR media viewers have yet to provide so far).

- One of the thumbstick buttons could be used to pause/unpause the current media, while the other thumbstick button could be used to mute/unmute the current media. The "menu" button on the left Touch controller could open the "general menu" for general options like the level of anti-aliasing and general master volume level (it would also pause all media), which could include an explanation of what the Touch buttons do. Basically I think that on top of the local window GUIs, there should be a single separate general GUI (for things like changing the 360° background picture).

- With VR space to spare, maybe all window GUI options should show at the same time, without having to scroll through them. Or how about the ability to resize the GUI the same way you can resize a window in Windows (by grabbing and dragging it's bottom right corner) ? But what I want is simply the ability to see all the GUI options without having to scroll through them really.

- The local window GUI has plenty of options (including a bunch of small symbols), and although I could guess most of them, I'd like an explanation of what each icon does (explained on the download page).

- Future options : The ability to read playlists (not a priority). In the meantime being able to read a full folder in alphabetical or random order is plenty already (as long as there is a button/thumbstick to quickly browse through them without having to select the next media file manually).

- Full version : The ability to create a "dome of medias" from a folder. Meaning you select a media window (with it's own size), you input the amount of screens you want (horizontal number + vertical number), and the viewer clones a dome of medias, based on the amount of screens and the size of the initial screen you selected. In the meantime you could simply include some manually saved environments, such as a bunch of pre-saved dome grids (from 2x1 to ~7x5). And if the "general UI" menu I suggested adding has it's own folder selection, you could use that general folder selection to select the same media folder for all the windows in that grid at the same time (with those windows having already been set to read their media in a random order).

Reasons why I would want to buy this :
- Because it has Windows 7 support (which full desktop emulators don't have).
- Because it has Touch support (which most single media viewers don't have).
- Because this is the first self contained VR media viewer I've used that is smart enough to "auto-skip" to the next video in the local folder by itself (without having to select and press a virtual skip button, or even worse having to select the next file manually), on top of including a picture slideshow mode with adjustable timer.
- To watch a "dome of medias", which would mostly be pictures viewed automatically in random/slideshow mode (but maybe also for short videos viewed in random/slideshow mode too), with perhaps a central media window I could use to "manually" browse through a folder of video/audio/picture/stream (using a quick access physical "next/previous" media browse button on the Touch controllers, so I can swiftly browse and pause the media content of that special central window at my own speed).
- To use a dome of medias to create a VR family album (with a mix of self updating pictures and videos, and a background music).

This was after trying the 2 screen demo out for ~30 minutes.

PS : I haven't tried reading streamed content, 3D films, or broken media files.