cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IL2 to get VR support?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I heard through the grapevine that IL2 will be getting VR support on the next patch? Anyone heard this news or have a link to the news ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

141 REPLIES 141

Techy111
MVP
MVP
The latest. But I just found out if you set your monitor res to the same in game then all is fine. It tried to start at some ridiculous resolution.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I just spotted this:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21356

I've had CloD for a long time, but due to the rep and the fact it just crashed on start when I bought it, I didn't bother with it until recently. Now it doesn't crash - in fact it runs well in the GUI, but I haven't flown the missions as yet (just got into the cockpit of the Tiger Moth to see if it would run). I just discovered this evening about installing the TF updates via the beta opt-in on Steam, so done that - and now I know VR is coming with the North Africa update, I will take a serious look, get my PC Pilot mags out again and read through all the reviews and tutes.

I'll be using the Blenheim, for sure.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Any new updates Brix ? That thread is wayyyy old ???

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Techy111 said:

Any new updates Brix ? That thread is wayyyy old ???

I was just about to say the same.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I was reading recent Steam posts and one of the TF guys was pointing people to that post - so I am guessing it is still accurate.

Apparently, the next update is 4.5 - but this will not have VR, and it won't be coming soon. Patch 5 will have VR and the North Africa campaign. Apparently, this is already being worked on, but is a long way off yet.

In terms of months etc, I have no idea, but I will be looking at this a lot more and if I find out anything new I'll post about it.

I've just spent a couple of hours reading up on BoS and I won't be getting that.

Edit: for those that have, I take it you have seeen this:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28671-vr-tips-and-tricks/

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

metalnwood
Protege
Brixmis, I have played IL2, the original series, for years.   When clod came out there was great hope it would replace il2 for our local combat group but it never happened.   It was so rubbish with optimisation that half the people couldnt run it without constant stuttering.

I didnt buy BOS because of that and when they said they would have VR I never pulled the plug.  Glad I didnt because they backed out of that and the sim got battered by players for all sorts of design decisions.

Long story short, I just bought BOS.  I don't feel like I missed out anything prior to now but I do think it was a god time to buy.   VR is very good and I hope my local group think about finally  moving to it.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
My group back in the day was EAF 🙂 Si  !!!!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

jasonh said:

Brixmis, I have played IL2, the original series, for years.   When clod came out there was great hope it would replace il2 for our local combat group but it never happened.   It was so rubbish with optimisation that half the people couldnt run it without constant stuttering.

I didnt buy BOS because of that and when they said they would have VR I never pulled the plug.  Glad I didnt because they backed out of that and the sim got battered by players for all sorts of design decisions.

Long story short, I just bought BOS.  I don't feel like I missed out anything prior to now but I do think it was a god time to buy.   VR is very good and I hope my local group think about finally  moving to it.

Clod and BOS were made by two completely different devs teams, so why didn't you purchase BOS? Was it for some other reason? The dev team working on Clod abandoned it while it was still in a terrible state and TF took over and made it a great game. BOS is totally different team and I gave up on the game because it was supposed to get VR a long time ago. It was demo on the DK2 and built up people's hope that it would get VR from the off. That didn't happen and I stamped my feet and walked away like a big kid. That resulted in me getting banned from the forums. The memory of that came flooding back when I realised I'm still banned and wanted to ask a question just now on their forums LOL.

metalnwood
Protege

@lovethis   It's a little bit back so hard to remember but they were coming from the same publisher so ltos of people were rightly or wrongly mixing baggage from clod.   Like you, I was keeping an eye on it but I didn't order early, once bitten etc.   It was a 100% buy for me when it had VR but I didn't buy then and glad as heck I didnt when they pulled it out.

Not to say the game wasn't good but by then, like a lot of us on the oculus forums, I didnt do 2d on a screen anymore 🙂

MowTin
Expert Trustee

lion737 said:

VR for IL2 is out ! It's the best VR experience I had so far - just WOW

...runs on Rift and Vive  (i have the Rift)

I must say it's an amazing experience. I shot down my first plane and the detail was just amazing. The smoke on the damaged plane and then it fell apart in midair and a piece hit my propeller. I crash landed spectacularly. 

I can't wait to do dive bombing in a Stutka drive bomber!
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2