cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor and greyout issue with Elite Dangerous

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue, and if they've come across any solutions.

My Oculus headset and single sensor work great in Oculus home, in Chronos, Dreamdeck, and other apps. I only experience problems when running Elite Dangerous. I believe these issues originated after the 1.13 update (I'm currently on version 1.14). 

The problems include grey-out flashes, jerky tracking problems, and sensor issues. I've tried a host of solutions, but none seem to work. I have an inateck 5 port USB card plugged into my mobo (yes, the power is connected). I've tried plugging the headset and sensor into it, and plugging the sensor into my onboard USB (both 2.0 and 3.0). Neither resolve the issue.

I've gotten sensor errors in Oculus, which I've posted an image of here (the USB warning is due to using windows inateck drivers).

I've also tried turning off my USB 3.0 legacy settings in the bios, and plugging the sensor into my onboard 3.0 inputs. Still no dice.

Everything is up to date, including video drivers.

I read that using inateck's USB drivers cause problems (and i ran into these problems in the past) so I'm using the windows drivers for the USB card.

Observing CPU usage while the issues happen shows it peaking at 55%, so I don't think that's the problem.

Oculus Support Recommendations: 

I've contacted support, and they requested that I run the compatibility test (which I ran & passed), ensure everything was up to date (which it is), and update to the Public Test Channel program, which updates my oculus software to 1.14 (did this too).

I explained that the problem persisted, and they suggested I re-install elite dangerous, connect the rift to another computer, and if that doesn't reveal the problem, re-install the Oculus software.

I suspect that these last recommendations will not resolve the problem, and just take up a lot of time. My guess is that it's USB related. Does anyone else have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Specs:
Windows 10
Intel Core i7-3770k CPU @ 3.5GHz
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1070
Oculus CV1

lo53av3b2csh.jpg
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
One more thing to note - I have set USB selective suspend setting to disabled.

frbie
Explorer
Same issue here with a fresh install of Elite Dangerous. I solved by switching the bad sensor from USB 3 to USB 2. The sensor ran perfectly for several month before 1.13 without problems.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Could be a USB or driver issue. Note that the recommended card is the 4-port Inateck.
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could be a USB or driver issue. Note that the recommended card is the 4-port Inateck.
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM

Correction - I have the 4 port USB card

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had sensor problems too with poor tracking. and it was fine after I disabled XMP Profile in the bios. Don't know why but you can check if this works for you also.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jumps and Flashes are fixed by setting Affinity settings: -
Run ED then go to TASK MANAGER>DETAILS: Right-Click Affinity

ED64: cores 0-5
OculusVR: cores 6-7 (this file may be new in latest Public Test update)
OVRServer_64: cores 6-7

OCULUS must now code this so we do not require manual or autohotkey programs.
Source: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/121355-Getting-the-Best-DK2-CV1-Vive-VR-Experience-Guid...

Anonymous
Not applicable

MAC_MAN86 said:

Jumps and Flashes are fixed by setting Affinity settings: -
Run ED then go to TASK MANAGER>DETAILS: Right-Click Affinity

ED64: cores 0-5
OculusVR: cores 6-7 (this file may be new in latest Public Test update)
OVRServer_64: cores 6-7

OCULUS must now code this so we do not require manual or autohotkey programs.
Source: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/121355-Getting-the-Best-DK2-CV1-Vive-VR-Experience-Guid...

Thanks for the tip, but I've tried this and it doesn't seem to do the trick.

I did switch my sensor to another USB 2.0, and that helped somewhat...however I'm still getting the occasional flash of grey and jerkiness. Still hoping someone has a solution to resolve this, it's incredibly distracting.

SHNYZ
Explorer
i have the same problem with il2 stalingrad, dcs world, asseto corsa and more

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
I'm no computer expert by any means, but since the minimum required i3-6100 has better single thread performance than the 3770k, couldn't that lead to truncated frames, especially with higher demanding games like elite dangerous?

I was able to run VR back in 2016, but only because I overclocked my i5-3570k to 4.5 Ghz. I don't think it would've liked running VR at stock settings. (by no means am I saying overclocking your CPU is the answer though)
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup