cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Risking my Rift

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've just dropped my Rift off at the UPS collection point, off for replacement.

However, I nearly didn't. Why have these transport services suddenly adopted the policy of not providing any evidence that a package has been collected or dropped off? I've noticed it with three different carriers this year - not one will give any kind of receipt, they all say - oh, it will come onto the system when it's scanned (either by the driver or at the depot).

This is just wrong. I've just left £500 worth of Rift at a shop that I have visited for the first time, with no proof whatsoever that I have done so. To say I feel uneasy about it would be a gross understatement. The worst thing is that the people you leave it with or pick it up behave all insulted when you enquire about a receipt or some form of acknowledgement of taking it from you.

They should be legally bound to do so - and they should feel obliged to give you something by way of a receipt, I know I would definitely have no qualms about doing so if someone was entrusting me with their valuable stuff.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
49 REPLIES 49

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I think DPD is the best delivery company. They even let you know when your parcel is going to be delivered so your not sat in waiting all day. I also use My Hermes because you can have the parcel insured for the full amount, get a receipt from the collection point and it is tracked all the way. 

DarkTenka
Trustee

Brixmis said:

Here we are, 5 days later, and it's as if my Rift was taken in and vanished - not a single update in 5 days.

On the main page they state that if the package is not going to be scanned for more than a day, information will be given as to when they next expect it to be scanned. There is no such information.

Yet in "myUPS" account section, it just says that the package is under way in the UPS system. For 5 days? (7 if you count the two days it sat at the local collection point). Even writing off Monday for Easter, there still should be some info - what's the point of tracking?

I could have got it to Holland on my bicycle in that time. What I dislike is that there is no contact info on the site and no way to say "what's going on, please?".

One thing I do know is that I will never use UPS for my own deliveries. I used them once to send my Warthog to Bulgaria last year, and the updates then were also severely lacking - but they did get it there in less time than this Rift is taking to get just across the channel to Holland.

btw if Rift 2 is released I will get it from Amazon.

FedEx had a help line which I harrassed to no end through out my postage. Does UPS not also have a place you can call?

nalex66
MVP
MVP

elboffor said:

When i rma'd my touch controllers, i dropped it iff and they colied the details and made sure i had a drop off receipt.

If in doubt tho, take a picture of the box before hand. And a picture of the box with the person you are dropping it iff with. Might not be instantly legally binding but its better than nothing.

As far as not getting an official receipt, this is my usual answer. The least you can do is create your own proof. Always having a camera in your pocket proves to be useful very often.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Well if the worst had come, I had my wife as witness and I'm sure there are security cameras in that area.

As they have booked it in and acknowledged the service was requested by Oculus, I am covered in that respect, I would just like to know where it is as I have no chance of finding out why there has been no update in 5 days. Okay lets say 4 days, I'll give them holiday Sunday and Monday.

Makes me chuckle (sceptically) when they say to open a MyUPS account so that you get more details and options.

I will give them 10 working days before I kick up a fuss, though.

Update - I spotted the contact info and have sent a message asking for an update on where the parcel is - what's the betting I get "in transit" as a response?

falken76
Expert Consultant

Brixmis said:

falken76 said:

All you need is the tracking number.  They issue what are called RS tags.  Return service tags.  Those can only be obtained by the shipper setting up the pick up.  The first 6 digits on the tracking number following the "1z" on UPS tracking is the UPS account number that belongs to oculus.  I'm sure the other couriers are similar.  If no tracking ever appears, so long as you wrote down the tracking number, you have the number that proves that Oculus created the tracking number that informed UPS/FedEx to come pick up from your house in the first place.  Nobody but Oculus could issue that tracking number, nobody.

The tracking number IS your receipt.

As I said, I was required to drop it off at a local shop (an "Access Point") and they don't give out receipts - same as the UPS driver who collected from me once didn't, but I know him well enough by now to trust him a little.

Point being, if it had gone AWOL from the shop ( or thereafter if it hadn't been scanned), I would have zero proof that I had dropped it off.
Legally, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

As it is, the tracking info has just come up - and is a perfect example of why I'm sceptical. It says I dropped it off at 12:35 and it is still at the AP. The items are collected at 11:00am each day - which is why I made sure I dropped it off there in plenty of time - at 08:45 to be precise.

So it wasn't picked up at 11:00 and now will not go until Tuesday, due to the holidays. So no, it hasn't gone missing - but I can't say I am happy with how things have gone thus far. Good job I have accepted the Rift being away for around 3 weeks (should be about 2, but I added on a week for the usual hold-ups). I could have had another few days use of it before sending it, though 😕

So how does Oculus set up the return?  Most companies will issue a return service tag, they either set it up through UPS to have the driver come retrieve the package or they send you a tag that you place on the box and take to a drop off location.  Does Oculus say to just take it to a UPS store or some such shipping location and just hand it to them with no info and no tag and you get no receipt?  Even if it was lost, you should have been given a  tracking number that you use to track the scans.  That is a return service tag that is generated by Oculus account, the packages should be insured if Oculus set this up correctly.  @cybereality can you clarify how the returns process works?  I might have to RMA my headset due to HMDI disconnect issues and I want to know how this works?  Are we given RS tags?  If not, what kind of receipt do we get?

falken76
Expert Consultant

lovethis said:

If you used a label provided by Oculus, then we track it on the back end. There is no need to worry.

So what if the shop says you never dropped it off? What happens then? I think the OP is meaning how can you prove you handed it over in the first place.  

Demand a receipt from the store.  If it is a UPS store, they are franchised and they must give you a receipt.  If they say they can't, call 1-800-Pick-UPS and report them.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
It's a local grocer.

Oculus send a label - the tracking number is on the label.

Since sending the message to UPS, they have 'updated' the tracking information.

According to that, my Rift is still exactly where it was for the past week - at Lincoln collection point!
Someone is seriously taking the piss:

1oudf9adm2ra.jpg

PS - okay, it isn't quite a week - for some reason I keep thinking it's Friday - probably because the Mrs weekend starts today. They were so happy with how well she worked on a weekday that they have made her work on a Sunday now, because apparently the weekend crew were hopeless. No extra pay or anything - barstewards. It has wrecked our family weekends and most of the time we struggle to know what day of the week it is!

falken76
Expert Consultant

KillCard said:

Brixmis said:

Here we are, 5 days later, and it's as if my Rift was taken in and vanished - not a single update in 5 days.

On the main page they state that if the package is not going to be scanned for more than a day, information will be given as to when they next expect it to be scanned. There is no such information.

Yet in "myUPS" account section, it just says that the package is under way in the UPS system. For 5 days? (7 if you count the two days it sat at the local collection point). Even writing off Monday for Easter, there still should be some info - what's the point of tracking?

I could have got it to Holland on my bicycle in that time. What I dislike is that there is no contact info on the site and no way to say "what's going on, please?".

One thing I do know is that I will never use UPS for my own deliveries. I used them once to send my Warthog to Bulgaria last year, and the updates then were also severely lacking - but they did get it there in less time than this Rift is taking to get just across the channel to Holland.

btw if Rift 2 is released I will get it from Amazon.

FedEx had a help line which I harrassed to no end through out my postage. Does UPS not also have a place you can call?

Yes UPS can be harrassed at this line: 1-800-PICK-UPS

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
So - now you know how long it will take - 5 days to get 30 miles. Work out how far you are from the warehouse by road, add a few days for other incompetence and you have your estimate.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Ah, left Lincoln at 20:45 this evening. How encouraging!  :s