Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HydraDeck RTS (new demo!)

Teddy0k
Explorer
Hello Riftfriends,

Here's my new demo for the Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra;

Download v0.1 here; https://mega.co.nz/#!8Qp0SAgb!TWSBtAaXk5W5jJu92WEJoTIq3KJBca63uiKsubOCzno

It's got the same controls as my Cover Shooter and HydraDeck Demo. This time it's an RTS!

When you're standing up, you feel like a giant in a tiny world where the castle only comes up to your knees. Through the magic of VR, when you bend down to look at it the world scales up to full size! Then if you want to move across the battlefield, just stand up and take a step to the other side of the world.

The gameplay is a simple tower defence style where you can upgrade your castles defence forces and guide your artillery teams against the hordes of attacking robots. Don't let the robots get in your front gates!

This is only the first basic prototype, I'd like to get some feedback on the controls and if people get any motion sickness, etc.

In the future, I'd like to add some more unit types and enemy types but I'm not really sure what yet. Let me know if you have any ideas!
16 REPLIES 16

Permafrog
Honored Guest
Hey Teddy,

i just tried your demo and after some troubles with the hydra callibration, i finally got it working smoothly.
I have to say, that this is by far the greatest idea to play rts with the rift, because you can watch everything fast and smooth from a 3rd-person-kinda-view and from above, without any motion sickness or else, this way you feel like a soldier and a commanding god at the same time, which is awesome!
The demo itself sure needs some improvements, like some tank enemy you have to focus your manual fire on or maybe a faster enemy, but even with one enemy type i had much fun with.
i guess it could be a little uncomfortable to play this for a long time, cause your back will start to hurt at some point.
tiny castle...big castle...tiny castle...big castle 😄

thank you for this awesome game and all your other projects

Permafrog

P.S.: sorry if my english is not the best, im not a native

ennikah
Honored Guest
Hi Teddy,

Very cool idea again, you're the best.
But i have many more difficulties to calibrate this one the first time.
Zero motion sickness for me.

Thank you for your creativity !
Webmaster : VRapps.co : All (or almost 😛 ) Oculus Rift Games, Apps & Movies EnterTheRift.fr : The French VR Community Community : All articles of French VR enthusiasts

360FOV
Honored Guest
Very innovative, I love your concept. It will give those who think the Rift is only viable for First Person shooter type games something to think about. 8-)
“My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"

Peejle
Explorer
Teddy

Please tell us you're being courted by many developers, if not Oculus or Razer.
Someone who can implement multiple innovative ideas so well is a rare commodity.

Peejle

drash
Heroic Explorer
As if your first two demos weren't enough....

Mind blown yet again.

Other than a bit of jumping around in the height above the ground, standing tall as a god and leaning in to get a good look at everything up-close is giving me a major grin that won't quit! So damn stoked about all the possibilities now.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

P.S. I like how your last couple of UDK demos are nice and easy to fire up -- just double click a batch file. 🙂 I like that a lot!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Teddy0k
Explorer
Awesome! Glad to hear it's working for you guys, I think this demo is a lot more sensitive to calibration than the others. Probably because when you move 1 inch in real life, it moves you about 100 feet in the virtual world!

Originally I had wanted to make it so you can play it sitting down, so the world would appear at about the size of a chess board in front of you and you only had to lean down a little to zoom in.. but I quickly found out that the Hydra isn't nearly accurate enough for this kind of thing. I'm hoping that their new STEM tracker will be.

I advise you all to back it when the kickstarter begins in 2 weeks!
http://sixense.com/wireless

Tagera
Honored Guest
Wow, this is some great work.

Teddy0k
Explorer
For anyone having problems with calibration, can you try changing this line in UDKGame\config\DefaultGame.ini?

[HydraDeckGame.HydraDeckPlayerController]
PullTriggerToCalibrateHydra=true

I usually have it set to false locally, as my auto calibrate always works for my hydra, but I suspect it doesn't for many others. Let me know if this improves it! I'll change it back in the next release

whoisonline
Explorer
Wow Teddy, once again, fantastic work and thanks for sharing all of your demos 🙂