New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Wilson's Heart gameplay

phillyd023phillyd023 Posts: 147
Art3mis
Been playing this game for about 30 minutes and can truly say I am not having fun yet. I am limited to a couple spots I can stand .... I can lean too far either way or the games blurs the vision, meaning you pick up a book and move to the next spot. I am actually bored as hell right now. stuck in a hallway near the receptionists desk and all doors are locked.

Can anyone confirm if the game gets better or not?

Comments

• ExpediterExpediter Posts: 114
    Art3mis
    edited April 2017
    Oculus and its "teleport only" funded games. their hardware is decent but their idea of what and how people should play vr is terrible and really a cancer to vr imo. 

i know oculus did not make the game but I find it strange that all the games they fund do not game full locomotion. It's almost like their money is influencing the developers.  
  • phillyd023phillyd023 Posts: 147
    Art3mis
    well I have gotten further and more of the story has developed. the only reason I am still playing is to find out the rest of the story. The gameplay hasn't improved
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,152 Valuable Player
    edited April 2017
    As a fan of this genre pre-VR, I am enjoying this very much so far.

Some of my favorite gaming moments in the early days involved titles like the Gabriel Knight series:

Wilson's Heart is a great reinterpretation of that Gabriel Knight "Sins of the Father" type experience from the 90's. This extends to so many other games that also intentionally limited the players movement: Longest Journey, Life is Strange, Myst, Riven, etc.

Even some of my favorite classic RPG's were very fixed-position in a way that Wilson's Heart taps in to with some good nostalgia. In fact I took a pic of 3 PC games I own that remind me of this: Death Gate, Companions of Xanth, and Shannara,

I don't even consider what is happening in Wilson's Heart to be Teleportation. I think people are just tossing that term around because it is all the rage lately due to games like Damaged Core and Robo Recall. To me, the movement in Wilson's Heart is: fixed-position blinking. I am 100% okay with this specifically due to my love and experience with this type of mechanic over the years with legendary and memorable PC titles.

In Wilson's Heart, the "blinking" is part of the experience. When you look at your "shade" (which is what players blink towards), and it is a shade that you have not moved to yet... there is an element of fear and suspense. Just as Teleportation is a major part of the overall narrative for Damaged Core, so is Blinking a huge part of the Wilson's Heart experience.

If you throw in Free Movement to either Damaged Core or Wilson's Heart, then you don't have the same game, and you've lost the unique quality that the designers are trying to offer. Similar to making every turn-based game suddenly function in "real-time" (e.g. Lords of the Realm).
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Art3mis
    You are either moving from point A to point B or you are warping, teleporting whatever you would like to call it.

You are either moving from point A to point B or you are warping, teleporting whatever you would like to call it.

When that psycho Teddy Bear was trying to murder me, and I was fumbling through the keys to find the right one... I was doing more than A-to-B movement :p

I can see that the game is not for everyone. But for those who enjoy the titles I mentioned, then there is likely going to be a memorable (and nostalgic) fun factor.
  • ogflatlanderogflatlander Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    Cant wait to play this when the weekend gets here.  I use to play all the Sierra adventure games back in the day and those type of experiences are what I am looking forward to with VR.  Story and environment with some puzzles thrown in.   
  • Mwilliams78Mwilliams78 Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    Remember the old hint books you used to have to buy if you got stuck cause there was no internet.  And you needed those red decoders to read the hints.  Kids have it so easy today lmao.  I think it was one of the police quests had me so stumped that I bought one. It was that or Kings quest.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,916 Valuable Player
    I would love to see them remake Space Quest and Kings Quest games in VR. 
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
    I started a new game in Wilson's Heart because sometimes you can make a choice that blocks off other previously available choices. And I want to see all the cool stuff so I will replay it just to get multiple experiences.

When I first walked in to the room with the Book of the Dead, I noticed that there was an option to play with the Radio and look over an exposed wall. I ended up getting the Book first, and then a bunch of storyline took place, after which I was no longer able to move towards either the radio nor the exposed wall.

I paused that game, started a new one, and changed the sequence of events. I went to the radio first (some fun stations to listen to), and then looked over the ledge of the exposed wall (nice jump scare).

There's no mistaking that this game is a shout-out to the classic Sierra games, and even those "pick a path" books.

I can't wait to jump back in later tonight.

Art3mis
    The game has grown on me. I am enjoying the story so I am looking at it that way.
  • KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    are there any jump scares in this game? I enjoy spoopy atmosphere and all but sudden jump scares outta no where really isnt for me
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    @KenSniper yes there are but they aren't too bad really, I thought I'd be noping out since I don't like horror games but it wasn't too bad, still made me jump though, just been saying lots of 'OH F*&$' :P
  • jacobmarleyjacobmarley Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Yeah the inability to explore the environment really detracts from the game. Its too bad they didnt go with a more arizona sunsine approach to exploration.  Hopefully they will update it in the future because the single frame puzzle thing isnt really compatible with horror.  The ability to roam and not know what the environment holds is key.  A revamp of the first silent hill would be phenomenal.   
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 291
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    As a fan of this genre pre-VR, I am enjoying this very much so far.

Some of my favorite gaming moments in the early days involved titles like the Gabriel Knight series:

Wilson's Heart is a great reinterpretation of that Gabriel Knight "Sins of the Father" type experience from the 90's. This extends to so many other games that also intentionally limited the players movement: Longest Journey, Life is Strange, Myst, Riven, etc.

Even some of my favorite classic RPG's were very fixed-position in a way that Wilson's Heart taps in to with some good nostalgia. In fact I took a pic of 3 PC games I own that remind me of this: Death Gate, Companions of Xanth, and Shannara,

I don't even consider what is happening in Wilson's Heart to be Teleportation. I think people are just tossing that term around because it is all the rage lately due to games like Damaged Core and Robo Recall. To me, the movement in Wilson's Heart is: fixed-position blinking. I am 100% okay with this specifically due to my love and experience with this type of mechanic over the years with legendary and memorable PC titles.

In Wilson's Heart, the "blinking" is part of the experience. When you look at your "shade" (which is what players blink towards), and it is a shade that you have not moved to yet... there is an element of fear and suspense. Just as Teleportation is a major part of the overall narrative for Damaged Core, so is Blinking a huge part of the Wilson's Heart experience.

If you throw in Free Movement to either Damaged Core or Wilson's Heart, then you don't have the same game, and you've lost the unique quality that the designers are trying to offer. Similar to making every turn-based game suddenly function in "real-time" (e.g. Lords of the Realm).
    What @Zenbane said x1000

"Shut up, Wesley!" - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

• PablitoPablito Posts: 361
    Trinity
    edited May 2017
    Expediter said:
    Oculus and its "teleport only" funded games. their hardware is decent but their idea of what and how people should play vr is terrible and really a cancer to vr imo. 

i know oculus did not make the game but I find it strange that all the games they fund do not game full locomotion. It's almost like their money is influencing the developers.  
    ...their idea of what and how people should play vr is terrible and really a cancer to vr
    ...their idea of what and how people should play vr is terrible and really a cancer to vr

cancer to vr...
    cancer to vr...
    cancer to vr...
    cancer to vr...
    cancer to vr...
    cancer to vr...
    cancer to vr...

Lean towards "agree" on this one.

Sony released a teleport-only game, and everyone loved it: Batman VR

Oculus funded the following games, minimum, that are NOT teleport-only:
    1) Chronos
    2) Luckys Tale
    3) Edge of Nowhere

More recently, Oculus funded the following free-roaming game:
    Mission: ISS

Oculus teamed up with NASA for that one, and it's all sorts of floating camera due to the anti-gravity nature.

But yeah... don't let facts stop the anti-Teleportation train :*
    Trinity
    edited May 2017
    Look Zenbane, teleport or not- I'm the consumer, and my options to choose what's best for me have gone airy yet again for the 1,000th time.  I almost bought the Batman app.  It looked way cool.  Then I saw the teleport crap and choose to assume no other mobility option was available.  I could be totally wrong in thinking it is the only option of movement, but I'm not willing to chance it any longer.  I represent one sale they now won't get, all because of a right that Oculus no longer feels the consumer should have!!! 

Pro-choice gamer I quess!
    Trinity
    Any misconceptions about this teleport only stool can be immediately cleared up buy simply looking into PSVR, you know, the one who's HMD sales are currently leading the whole market after entering the race dead last!
    edited May 2017
    Pablito said:
    Look Zenbane, teleport or not- I'm the consumer, and my options to choose what's best for me have gone airy yet again for the 1,000th time. 
    Then stop being a consumer and become a content maker. Beggers can't be choosers.

Pablito said:
    I almost bought the Batman app.  It looked way cool.  Then I saw the teleport crap and choose to assume no other mobility option was available.  I could be totally wrong in thinking it is the only option of movement, but I'm not willing to chance it any longer. 
    The Internet removes the need for guessing. One Google search reveals that Batman VR (previously a PlayStation VR Exclusive) is Teleport-only movement. It doesn't help to be "pro-choice" if you aren't actually making informed decisions.

Pablito said:
    Any misconceptions about this teleport only stool can be immediately cleared up buy simply looking into PSVR, you know, the one who's HMD sales are currently leading the whole market after entering the race dead last!
    You just proved your own argument wrong... because PSVR was praised for a Teleport-only exclusive: Batman VR.
  • kgian76kgian76 Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    Wilson's heart is great and reminds me of old point and click adventures (of which I have played many over the years). 
    Trinity
    Ok. Sounds good.  Oculus, and everyone involved,  lose money!
    Sony didn't lose money with their Teleport only game.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,007 Valuable Player
    Really dislike the word Cancer for really not that important things

Cancer = humanitys scourge 

Locomotion = a choice of gameplay
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • Elias24601Elias24601 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    I know this might really shock the meta which is established on any post exceeding three comments but I am going to go back to the OP and say I have really enjoyed Wilson's Heart.

For the first hour I agree that the immersed part of my brain kept reaching and moving me into the surrounding blur.  Then my brain sorted it out and just stood still.  What comes next is pretty spectacular (intended or not by the devs).  It modified my basic fear response, "fight-or-flight"... with my "flight" option taken away all I could do was stand in horror and have to "fight."  Count me among the easily scared of the world.  I don't even know what possessed me to buy a horror game like this in the first place.  But I am loving it.  Loving it in small expletive filled "nope" sessions.

Truly each time I take the HMD off I vow not to return but at this point I'm plot committed.  Keep at it.
    Trinity
    I know this might really shock the meta which is established on any post exceeding three comments but I am going to go back to the OP and say I have really enjoyed Wilson's Heart.

For the first hour I agree that the immersed part of my brain kept reaching and moving me into the surrounding blur.  Then my brain sorted it out and just stood still.  What comes next is pretty spectacular (intended or not by the devs).  It modified my basic fear response, "fight-or-flight"... with my "flight" option taken away all I could do was stand in horror and have to "fight."  Count me among the easily scared of the world.  I don't even know what possessed me to buy a horror game like this in the first place.  But I am loving it.  Loving it in small expletive filled "nope" sessions.

Truly each time I take the HMD off I vow not to return but at this point I'm plot committed.  Keep at it.
    Ok!!  If Elias24601 says he's able to endure the limitations of this game solely based on the fact that the story has pulled him in... fine!  I'm gonna spend my 40 bucks and get this travesty and swallow my own sack!  I'll do this in faith to show my support for Oculus.  I looked at its rating and it is appearing to be quite decisive.  Ok....

• SadGamerDadSadGamerDad Posts: 335
    Trinity
    edited May 2017
    If anyone wants to be spoiled check my series play through out on my Youtube channel. Despite the initial frustrations with the movement and blurring/pausing as I got deeper into the game I found myself understanding the movement helps to tell a story and help inexperienced players. I would however, Love a free roam and room scale option should that ever happen.

• oqvistoqvist Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Hard game to judge. The blink teleport system plus you only interact with items required to solve the puzzles  mean every puzzle is spoiled already pretty much. Solution never more then an arm lengths away you will solve puzzles without having any idea how. Getting thrown in a boss scene it was just experimental how they wanted me to solve it so okay I lie there is still some puzzle solving :) The nice thing with the system is that nobody should ever have to be completly stuck.

Not like Obduction which have tons of unlogical puzzles or Ethan Carter that have puzzles that require some insane memory skills. I do like the fluid progress make it more like running an interactive movie where they can really direct the camera angles so it´s not all bad at all.

However for a VR title and not being able to interact with the world other then specific high lighted items you do loose quite a bit what makes VR special. Should have so that in the sweetspots all physical objects is touchable at least and you may have to figure out what is important. I can live with blinking and not having the entire levels rendered just jump between roomscale areas to keep pacing and allow for efficient jump scares :D 

Something like Lone Echo where you can interact with everything and of course move freely has it´s own charm though that´s for sure. I am the first to despise teleportation in traditional fps games. 

Some hours in and I am still very much hooked by the story and where it will take me. Excellent voice acting I am all but boored with it despite the self solving nature of it. 
    NerveGear
    The blink teleport system plus you only interact with items required to solve the puzzles  mean every puzzle is spoiled already pretty much. Solution never more then an arm lengths away you will solve puzzles without having any idea how. Getting thrown in a boss scene it was just experimental how they wanted me to solve it so okay I lie there is still some puzzle solving. The nice thing with the system is that nobody should ever have to be completly stuck.

Not like Obduction which have tons of unlogical puzzles or Ethan Carter that have puzzles that require some insane memory skills. I do like the fluid progress make it more like running an interactive movie where they can really direct the camera angles so it´s not all bad at all.

However for a VR title and not being able to interact with the world other then specific high lighted items you do loose quite a bit what makes VR special. Should have so that in the sweetspots all physical objects is touchable at least and you may have to figure out what is important. I can live with blinking and not having the entire levels rendered just jump between roomscale areas to keep pacing and allow for efficient jump scares. 

Something like Lone Echo where you can interact with everything and of course move freely has it´s own charm though that´s for sure. I am the first to despise teleportation in traditional fps games but set camera in horror/adventure games can be efficient.. 

Some hours in and I am still very much hooked by the story and where it will take me. Excellent voice acting I am all but boored with it despite the self solving nature of it. Maybe because. I don´t really enjoy Obduction tbh. 
    NerveGear
    Hard game to judge. The blink teleport system plus you only interact with items required to solve the puzzles  mean every puzzle is spoiled already pretty much. Solution never more then an arm lengths away you will solve puzzles without having any idea how. Getting thrown in a boss scene it was just experimental how they wanted me to solve it so okay I lie there is still some puzzle solving :) The nice thing with the system is that nobody should ever have to be completly stuck.

However for a VR title and not being able to interact with the world other then specific high lighted items you do loose quite a bit what makes VR special. Should have so that in the sweetspots all physical objects is touchable at least and you may have to figure out what is important. I can live with blinking and not having the entire levels rendered just jump between roomscale areas to keep pacing and allow for efficient jump scares :D 

Something like Lone Echo where you can interact with everything and of course move freely has it´s own charm though that´s for sure. I am the first to despise teleportation in traditional fps games. 

Some hours in and I am still very much hooked by the story and where it will take me. Excellent voice acting I am all but boored with it despite the self solving nature of it.