cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wilson's Heart gameplay

phillyd023
Expert Protege
Been playing this game for about 30 minutes and can truly say I am not having fun yet. I am limited to a couple spots I can stand .... I can lean too far either way or the games blurs the vision, meaning you pick up a book and move to the next spot. I am actually bored as hell right now. stuck in a hallway near the receptionists desk and all doors are locked.

Can anyone confirm if the game gets better or not?
31 REPLIES 31

Expediter
Expert Protege
Oculus and its "teleport only" funded games. their hardware is decent but their idea of what and how people should play vr is terrible and really a cancer to vr imo. 

i know oculus did not make the game but I find it strange that all the games they fund do not game full locomotion. It's almost like their money is influencing the developers.  

phillyd023
Expert Protege
well I have gotten further and more of the story has developed. the only reason I am still playing is to find out the rest of the story. The gameplay hasn't improved

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
As a fan of this genre pre-VR, I am enjoying this very much so far.

Some of my favorite gaming moments in the early days involved titles like the Gabriel Knight series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbjXuPa1uW0

Wilson's Heart is a great reinterpretation of that Gabriel Knight "Sins of the Father" type experience from the 90's. This extends to so many other games that also intentionally limited the players movement: Longest Journey, Life is Strange, Myst, Riven, etc.

Even some of my favorite classic RPG's were very fixed-position in a way that Wilson's Heart taps in to with some good nostalgia. In fact I took a pic of 3 PC games I own that remind me of this: Death Gate, Companions of Xanth, and Shannara,

h1ztxxu06986.jpg

I don't even consider what is happening in Wilson's Heart to be Teleportation. I think people are just tossing that term around because it is all the rage lately due to games like Damaged Core and Robo Recall. To me, the movement in Wilson's Heart is: fixed-position blinking. I am 100% okay with this specifically due to my love and experience with this type of mechanic over the years with legendary and memorable PC titles.

In Wilson's Heart, the "blinking" is part of the experience. When you look at your "shade" (which is what players blink towards), and it is a shade that you have not moved to yet... there is an element of fear and suspense. Just as Teleportation is a major part of the overall narrative for Damaged Core, so is Blinking a huge part of the Wilson's Heart experience.

If you throw in Free Movement to either Damaged Core or Wilson's Heart, then you don't have the same game, and you've lost the unique quality that the designers are trying to offer. Similar to making every turn-based game suddenly function in "real-time" (e.g. Lords of the Realm).

phillyd023
Expert Protege
You are either moving from point A to point B or you are warping, teleporting whatever you would like to call it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

You are either moving from point A to point B or you are warping, teleporting whatever you would like to call it.

When that psycho Teddy Bear was trying to murder me, and I was fumbling through the keys to find the right one... I was doing more than A-to-B movement 😛

I can see that the game is not for everyone. But for those who enjoy the titles I mentioned, then there is likely going to be a memorable (and nostalgic) fun factor.

ogflatlander
Protege
Cant wait to play this when the weekend gets here.  I use to play all the Sierra adventure games back in the day and those type of experiences are what I am looking forward to with VR.  Story and environment with some puzzles thrown in.   

Mwilliams78
Expert Protege
Remember the old hint books you used to have to buy if you got stuck cause there was no internet.  And you needed those red decoders to read the hints.  Kids have it so easy today lmao.  I think it was one of the police quests had me so stumped that I bought one. It was that or Kings quest.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I would love to see them remake Space Quest and Kings Quest games in VR. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I started a new game in Wilson's Heart because sometimes you can make a choice that blocks off other previously available choices. And I want to see all the cool stuff so I will replay it just to get multiple experiences.

When I first walked in to the room with the Book of the Dead, I noticed that there was an option to play with the Radio and look over an exposed wall. I ended up getting the Book first, and then a bunch of storyline took place, after which I was no longer able to move towards either the radio nor the exposed wall.

I paused that game, started a new one, and changed the sequence of events. I went to the radio first (some fun stations to listen to), and then looked over the ledge of the exposed wall (nice jump scare).

There's no mistaking that this game is a shout-out to the classic Sierra games, and even those "pick a path" books.

I can't wait to jump back in later tonight.