cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel Density Examples

kojack
MVP
MVP
Now that the OculusMirror tool is available, we can see the final image that is sent to the hmd after all the distortion steps. So we can now capture the actual effect of the pixel density setting in the debug tool.

For this I've used Elite Dangerous. It lets you change the pixel density within game without the debug tool. This is useful because you can't change density with the debug tool while a game is running, and restarting Elite moves the camera so the shots wouldn't match.
(My CV1 is sitting on a stool with a piece of foam holding the proximity sensor active)

Here's the Elite Dangerous hangar menu scene in 3 different density values, with layer debug panel on to see the res and density.
0.5 density (672x800 per eye):

1.0 (1344x1600 per eye):

2.0 (2688x3200 per eye):

Of course in all cases the final image is still 1080x1200 per eye. It's just the render texture used to render the scene and give to the sdk that is a different res.

Here's some zooms to look at the difference a bit easier. In each one, it's 0.5, 1.0, 2.0.
jtzhio4o9wd9.png

hze1rwpu7ojk.png

5mdtqvdeatj4.png

I tried bumping density to 4.0, but Elite freaked out and dropped all environment textures to horrible blurry messes.

Performance wise, even with a Geforce 1080 a density of 2 gives tons of dropped frames in Elite. It's trying to render at a total of 5376x3200 after all, well above 4K. There's a heap of settings in Elite that could affect that, but I'm already running with most at medium quality.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
23 REPLIES 23

YoLolo69
Trustee

Very useful! Something seems to 'snap' at 1.5 where the image goes from appearing to be slightly 'fuzzy' to 'crisp'. Or is it just me :smiley:

Nope, I agree 100%. This 1.5 seems to be the magic number, where 1.4 appear blurred, and I saw this in numerous games. Easily see in Robo Recall where you have the setting in game options and can see immediately the effect watching around you.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Btw guys, i'm about to ask a stupid question, but I'm new to this, I just got my Rift a few days ago and so far I only really play Robo Recall, Dead & Burred and I got Batman last night. I believe all three of these particular games allow me to set the pixel density in-game, in the in-game menu. So I have a GTX 1060 6GB and set them to 1.4 and it definitely looked sharper. After reading this thread I'll try 1.5 tonight. 

But my question to you guys is, do I need this tool for any particular reason or is it just for games that don't have the option in the menu?

Also 2nd question, what resolution is 1.4 and what resolution is 1.5?

Thanks in advance.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

kojack
MVP
MVP

1.4 is 1881 x 2240 per eye.
1.5 is 2016 x 2400 per eye.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

kojack said:

1.4 is 1881 x 2240 per eye.
1.5 is 2016 x 2400 per eye.

Thanks for the information mate. So the 2nd res you said, "1.5 is 2016 x 2400 per eye" what is that combined? Like what is the combined resolution?

It's just I'm having a conversation with my friend and he wanted to know what resolution I was playing with on my Rift.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

danknugz
Superstar
not worth it IMo, just wait for CV2 and avoid all the hassle and worry about gpu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

kojack
MVP
MVP
4032 x 2400 total.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

kojack said:

4032 x 2400 total.

Thanks mate.

danknugz
Superstar

Very useful! Something seems to 'snap' at 1.5 where the image goes from appearing to be slightly 'fuzzy' to 'crisp'. Or is it just me :smiley:

probably the way the math lines up with the pixels on the display
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

luca_cecconi2
Honored Guest
hi guys
question....i have 1080Ti gainward and the max res is 4096 x 2160 ..that mean i can't use pixel density more then 1.8 for don't exceede the max res of video graphic card?
This just for understand how PD works..
In Assetto Corsa ,online whit 16 car i can't go up to 1.5 and all game setting at low or off (just mirror on)
and in this configuration the hadroom usage saty around 65% whit not to much spot at -8%...
Now i know different game give different results but what kind of PC neeed for play at 2.0 PD and high detail ?

my config:
MSI X370 PRO CARBON ; RYZEN 1700 X oc 3900 Mhz ; 16 GB FLARE X 3200 14 CL ; SSD M.2 ; GTX 1080 Ti Gainward

kojack
MVP
MVP
That's the max output res to a monitor. It's render texture sizes that pixel density affects.
DX11 level hardware (such as the geforce 1080ti) can do 16,384 x 16,384.