cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wilson's Heart gameplay

phillyd023
Expert Protege
Been playing this game for about 30 minutes and can truly say I am not having fun yet. I am limited to a couple spots I can stand .... I can lean too far either way or the games blurs the vision, meaning you pick up a book and move to the next spot. I am actually bored as hell right now. stuck in a hallway near the receptionists desk and all doors are locked.

Can anyone confirm if the game gets better or not?
31 REPLIES 31

phillyd023
Expert Protege
The game has grown on me. I am enjoying the story so I am looking at it that way.

KenSniper
Adventurer
are there any jump scares in this game? I enjoy spoopy atmosphere and all but sudden jump scares outta no where really isnt for me

Anonymous
Not applicable
@KenSniper yes there are but they aren't too bad really, I thought I'd be noping out since I don't like horror games but it wasn't too bad, still made me jump though, just been saying lots of 'OH F*&$' 😛

jacobmarley
Explorer
Yeah the inability to explore the environment really detracts from the game. Its too bad they didnt go with a more arizona sunsine approach to exploration.  Hopefully they will update it in the future because the single frame puzzle thing isnt really compatible with horror.  The ability to roam and not know what the environment holds is key.  A revamp of the first silent hill would be phenomenal.   

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

As a fan of this genre pre-VR, I am enjoying this very much so far.

Some of my favorite gaming moments in the early days involved titles like the Gabriel Knight series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbjXuPa1uW0

Wilson's Heart is a great reinterpretation of that Gabriel Knight "Sins of the Father" type experience from the 90's. This extends to so many other games that also intentionally limited the players movement: Longest Journey, Life is Strange, Myst, Riven, etc.

Even some of my favorite classic RPG's were very fixed-position in a way that Wilson's Heart taps in to with some good nostalgia. In fact I took a pic of 3 PC games I own that remind me of this: Death Gate, Companions of Xanth, and Shannara,

h1ztxxu06986.jpg

I don't even consider what is happening in Wilson's Heart to be Teleportation. I think people are just tossing that term around because it is all the rage lately due to games like Damaged Core and Robo Recall. To me, the movement in Wilson's Heart is: fixed-position blinking. I am 100% okay with this specifically due to my love and experience with this type of mechanic over the years with legendary and memorable PC titles.

In Wilson's Heart, the "blinking" is part of the experience. When you look at your "shade" (which is what players blink towards), and it is a shade that you have not moved to yet... there is an element of fear and suspense. Just as Teleportation is a major part of the overall narrative for Damaged Core, so is Blinking a huge part of the Wilson's Heart experience.

If you throw in Free Movement to either Damaged Core or Wilson's Heart, then you don't have the same game, and you've lost the unique quality that the designers are trying to offer. Similar to making every turn-based game suddenly function in "real-time" (e.g. Lords of the Realm).

What @Zenbane said x1000

Pablito
Heroic Explorer

Expediter said:

Oculus and its "teleport only" funded games. their hardware is decent but their idea of what and how people should play vr is terrible and really a cancer to vr imo. 

i know oculus did not make the game but I find it strange that all the games they fund do not game full locomotion. It's almost like their money is influencing the developers.  

...their idea of what and how people should play vr is terrible and really a cancer to vr
...their idea of what and how people should play vr is terrible and really a cancer to vr

cancer to vr...
cancer to vr...
cancer to vr...
cancer to vr...
cancer to vr...
cancer to vr...
cancer to vr...

Lean towards "agree" on this one.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Sony released a teleport-only game, and everyone loved it: Batman VR

Oculus funded the following games, minimum, that are NOT teleport-only:
1) Chronos
2) Luckys Tale
3) Edge of Nowhere

More recently, Oculus funded the following free-roaming game:
Mission: ISS

Oculus teamed up with NASA for that one, and it's all sorts of floating camera due to the anti-gravity nature.

But yeah... don't let facts stop the anti-Teleportation train 😘

Pablito
Heroic Explorer
Look Zenbane, teleport or not- I'm the consumer, and my options to choose what's best for me have gone airy yet again for the 1,000th time.  I almost bought the Batman app.  It looked way cool.  Then I saw the teleport crap and choose to assume no other mobility option was available.  I could be totally wrong in thinking it is the only option of movement, but I'm not willing to chance it any longer.  I represent one sale they now won't get, all because of a right that Oculus no longer feels the consumer should have!!! 

Pro-choice gamer I quess!

Pablito
Heroic Explorer
Any misconceptions about this teleport only stool can be immediately cleared up buy simply looking into PSVR, you know, the one who's HMD sales are currently leading the whole market after entering the race dead last!

Anonymous
Not applicable
360 support is coming - https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6be1pn/wilsons_heart_update_supporting_360_autofacing_in/