cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What resolution would make VR crystal clear?

Paddy234
Protege
What resolution do you think it would take until we are ready to reach perfect clear quality for gaming. Looking in the worlds of these games and things are quite fuzzy in the distance and writing can at times be hard to read forcing one to squint to see it clearly, this is something i expected though i don't know if i expected it to be quite fuzzy especially in the distance. Do people think that 4k will be enough to satisfy our eyes and take away the strain or will it be even higher at lets say 8k before we get that smooth Chrystal image we all seek. 
12 REPLIES 12

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Yes, you're absolutely right.  Forgot that little gem.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

kzintzi
Trustee
there are some meta materials that are flat but produce optical warping effects similar/identical to conventional optics - they're horrendously expensive to manufacture and are not ready for consumer usage, but I expect they will be added to the mix at some point - then you'll see thin film optics that do whats needed to have a wrap around screen.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

nalex66 said:

Zoomie said:

... The OP wants a perfect solution, and to be honest that will probably either require a high density wrap-around screen with no lens, or some sort of projection directly onto the retina.  

A lens will always be required with a screen-based solution, to correct the focal distance, due to the screen being so close to the eyes.

I'm expecting retinal projection will eventually replace screens, but we're talking 3-4 generations of HMDs from now, I think.  And it looks like you'll probably need multiple projectors to get the field of view, so it has its limitations too.