cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you have a 4th camera that's dedicated to your desktop?

Hanover
Rising Star
Sometimes I just want to sit at my desk and play Elite Dangerous.  The problem is I have three cameras set up for a roomscale experience so they are mounted on the walls and my desk is outside of the play area.  Could I add a fourth camera that just sits on my desk like the original, pre-touch setup for my sit down/gamepad games?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, I don't believe this is a good idea. While you can add a 4th sensor, it will expect to be calibrated with the rest of them, so may not like being off in a different place. If there is some overlap of the sensors it could work, but it's hard to say for sure.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, I don't believe this is a good idea. While you can add a 4th sensor, it will expect to be calibrated with the rest of them, so may not like being off in a different place. If there is some overlap of the sensors it could work, but it's hard to say for sure.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

edmg
Trustee
I have one at my desk and two on stands in the corners, but all three can (just) see me when I'm sitting in front of the PC.

MarkusWo
Expert Protege

I have the same problem as Hanover. Why isn't it possible to have several play-area profiles?
So you could choose between "in-front-of-PC" and "360°-play-area"...
And with every profile you could choose wich cameras are active.

Anonymous
Not applicable
-----------------------------
Why isn't it possible to have several play-area profiles?

So you could choose between "in-front-of-PC" and "360°-play-area"...
-----------------------------

This should go into the development process of the rift.

I would love to be able to play a seated experience in my armchair and I would love to have standing/roomscale experiences as well.

I would love to have a third (or fourth) camera pointing at my armchair.

The possability of this should be implemented in the Oculus Rift software. Best would be even without profiles, just a supplemental camera that covers some independent space - or with profiles, so that just the cameras needed do start.

I can not imagine that it is difficult to build in different playarea-profiles. I think more that this is a great idea.

+ that too:

VRoaaar said:

Can we please get setup profiles so we can
easily switch between 2 and 3 sensors? I have 2 sensors installed
permanently, but the third one can only be used temporarily because of
the cable running through the room. I only connect the third sensor when
I need room scale. But then I need to go through the setup process
again...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ups, not sure were my post went..

In short: I do want to play a seated experience from my armchair and play standing experiences so I have the same problems/wishes like the above posters.

To implement profiles is a great idea to enhance the usage of the rift. Same goes for third cameras that are only occasionally plugged in just for certain roomscale experiences as the cable and placement comes unhandy for a permanent set-up.

DTH
Heroic Explorer
also, you could set up profiles for family members or if you are dating for different heights of everyone with the same size play area.  Lots of things could happen in years to come.  I would like it to me months. 

Hanover
Rising Star
My desk is directly under one of the cameras.   So I think I'd have to point it downwards more.  My rear-corner camera would be blocked by my high-backed chair.  I'll just try sitting at my desk and seeing what happens and hopefully adjust my cameras so I can do both.  

elboffor
Consultant
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/50439/ohmutlitool-beta-release-v0-2/p1

I really need to finish this...
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

elboffor said:

Please do so, work a bit on it when you have the muse - that would be great! : )